• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Kaiser67M715

I had the same problem with stuck and broken bolts. I used Heli Coils to repair the threads. M10-1.5 threads.
I also do this and replace the bolts with a stud and nut, so I still only need one wrench, plus no more stripped aluminum.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

sandcobra164

Drove mine to get some ice cream today. It sat for nearly a month with no love. I wanted to make sure the fuel system was sealed after converting to a spin on filter set-up and new injection pump. Sarge started up just fine, ran down the road and looked good doing it.

Keith_J

Converted the NATO 12 pin trailer to provide for civy trailer brakes and 12 volt supply. Sockets A, C and F on the truck were wired to the same circuit, blackout stop and marker ( C and F) and blackout (A) . Cut A free and used that for electric brake signal (civy blue).

For the 12 volt positive source (break away battery and RV battery charge), I disassembled the truck connector and soldered a length of Packard wire to socket K (NATO standard receptacle for vehicle 12 or 24 volt +). Ran this wire all the way to the engine bay, then used a Scotch Lock connector to tap into the fuel heater pink wire for switched and fused 12 volts. I don't think I will use a trailer whenever the fuel preheat is requested. But if it burns a fuse, I have extra.

All other connections for a 7 way are straightforward.

Now for the adapter..I have a M101 trailer wiring plug plus 12 pin. I cut it off to 18" and connected wires accordingly to the 7 way. Now my trailer connections will be easy.

Now onto the fun stuff. My CUCV is a working M1031 SECM. Which means the generator is a must. It had been acting up, found the problem was electrical with the governor actuator. Specifically one electrical terminal screw had fallen out. Just my luck, its a 3/8" long #5-40. Hen's teeth or Chuck Norris tears, no one carries that. But I have a bucket or two of fasteners and FOUND ONE. Well, had to use my screw shortener but far better than needing my stretcher. Got the governor working.

Had a slow leak in the air system so I replaced the drain valve and all corroded plumbing. Gone are the iron fittings, Teflon tape and leaking quick connects. All brass plus all new Milton M connectors. Bubble tested leak free. Plus added 3/8" Nylon tube to the engine compartment..why? AIR HORN!!! Yes, AIR HORN! Kleinn dual tone. One more check box off the never ending laundry list.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haven't really done anything last weekend. One of my cats died last week and went to get another one.

IMG-20190121-WA0001.jpgIMG-20190121-WA0000.jpg

My FlowKooler waterpump did arrive! The HMMWV coolant crossover is expected next week.

IMG-20190122-WA0013.jpgIMG-20190122-WA0015.jpg

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haven't really done anything last weekend. One of my cats died last week and went to get another one.

View attachment 754216View attachment 754215

My FlowKooler waterpump did arrive! The HMMWV coolant crossover is expected next week.

View attachment 754213View attachment 754214
Is the FlowKooler pump set up for the "V" belt or the serpentine belt? Years ago I put a serpentine (reverse rotation) pump on a Mustang with a "V" belt engine and couldn't understand why it seemed to run hotter after ward :confused:. If it is for the "V" belt what is the part number? Sorry you lost your cat, I have one that enjoys when I am sitting the computer on Steel Soldiers.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the FlowKooler pump set up for the "V" belt or the serpentine belt? Years ago I put a serpentine (reverse rotation) pump on a Mustang with a "V" belt engine and couldn't understand why it seemed to run hotter after ward :confused:. If it is for the "V" belt what is the part number? Sorry you lost your cat, I have one that enjoys when I am sitting the computer on Steel Soldiers.
This one is for the v-belt setup, clockwise rotation. Serpentine should be counterclockwise rotation.

Keith_J

Testing out the air horn means I have to recharge the tank..well, the governor interlock is out of whack with the drive gear switch..I flipped the governor on with the transmission in NEUTRAL!!! That made the engine go to 3600 RPM, just for a second..the governor is looking for speed output from the PTO, sensing nothing it went full throttle!!

No damage, this was a commanded input through the throttle shaft and the centrifugal governor in the injection pump limits speed.

FrankenCub

Unfortunately nothing good to report here. Gelled up my 08 the last cold spell we had, knew it was going to be well below zero and forgot to put an additive in the fuel. Oh well, maybe I'll remember next time lol.
Been trying to limp my front axle along till this spring, it's in serious need of a complete overhaul or replacement. Now the lockout on the passenger side quit locking. The stub axle is shot from a bad bearing and the lockout was a not so good shape when I bough the truck. 43 degrees the other day and it melted most of the snow on our driveway and turned to ice that night. Now can't even get out of the driveway lol. It rises 33' in elevation to the road. Looks like I'll tow it through the yard with my tractor to the road, then I should drive it right to the driveline shop to see what it's gonna cost to overhaul it. If it's not too far gone.
I've seen some good used axles, but they are being sold in pairs. Don't want both, just a front.

KI4FKW

Today I finally got around to hooking up my tag light. A previous owner apparently replaced the bed on the truck with a civvy bed. Back when I first got the truck and was troubleshooting the b/o light system, I found this tag bracket/light bent up and out of the way behind the mil bumper. A little cleaning, painting, and wiring and presto! A semi-factory tag bracket and lamp. Previous owner had bolted the tag directly over the marker lamp.
E3BC63A9-0210-4EA3-93EA-51B4CB071DFF.jpg5DC1FFFA-8B9F-4B3C-8E4A-AFA7D24DC816.jpg

wbdodgeiv

My 09 had gotten hard to start. Had the symptoms of bad gp’s. Preemptively ordered a new set of Bosches. Ended up ohm’ing the gp’s and also testing with a test light and all 8 seem fine. Which is good as the only three I unscrewed where swollen and stuck so I put them back.

The PO put a spin on fuel filter and I noticed whilst fiddling with the he gp’s that diesel was everywhere. Turns out the petcock was a 1/4 turn open. Tightened it then cycled the plugs twice (it’s 40* outside) and it fired right up. Must have been sucking in air.

Kaiser67M715

My 09 had gotten hard to start. Had the symptoms of bad gp’s. Preemptively ordered a new set of Bosches. Ended up ohm’ing the gp’s and also testing with a test light and all 8 seem fine. Which is good as the only three I unscrewed where swollen and stuck so I put them back.

The PO put a spin on fuel filter and I noticed whilst fiddling with the he gp’s that diesel was everywhere. Turns out the petcock was a 1/4 turn open. Tightened it then cycled the plugs twice (it’s 40* outside) and it fired right up. Must have been sucking in air.
If they are swollen, failure is not far behind.

It could just be carbon build up too, a long high rpm run may clean it up enough to pull the plugs.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GPs will not fix themselves.
Your inviting Murphy’s Law to leave you stranded with an engine that won’t start at
the worst possible time.

The tips could break off and cause damage.

Recommend replacement ASAP.

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuel filter 1.jpgI experienced the hard start a while back on my M1009 as well. I thought it was glow plugs but they were fine, I also found it was much harder to start if the front of the truck was uphill instead of down. It got worse and i finally realized the fuel filter base was leaking and allowed air to get in the fuel line over night. I put in a spin on filter with a hand primer to aid in priming since it was such a pita to crank and jump out and bled air and repeat several times before it would start, the rest of the day was fine but overnight it would lose prime and the colder it was the worse it would be. The new filter has been so nice and it turned out to look good too.

wbdodgeiv

Started great again this am, just over freezing. Maybe 2-3 sec of cranking. I’ll start work on making a gp removal tool this weekend.

At the bagel shop:
image.jpg

ETA: I also have the gp solenoid fed directly from the front battery so I won't have cascading gp failures. I don't understand the point of the resistor bank and feeding it from 24v. If it had 24v glow plugs then it would balance the load across the batteries, as it is the second batteries contribution is wasted by the resistor bank.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started great again this am, just over freezing. Maybe 2-3 sec of cranking. I’ll start work on making a gp removal tool this weekend.
Most guys here use Acdelco AC60G glow plugs.
They are self limiting (no swelling) and work great and have an excellent track record.

Wellmans will swell on you.
Evidently the Bosch ones do also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks