• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

dconn22

Electrical Fun...

Well if you know what the first picture is you know what fun I have been and will be having for the next few weekends.
Spoiler alert, it's the glow plug harness. Picture 2 this connector was on the driver side and was the only GP connector like it, anyone know why [it and most of the other connectors are toast]. Waiting on new wire to rewire complete [all orange... by mistake, why would they change the color from orange to green???].
IMG_20191117_133944733.jpgIMG_20191117_133952099.jpg
Most of the battery to bus [12 & 24] looks... well, 33 years old [and some has been worked on more than once!!!] and is pretty brittle and some looks as though it has been heated up before [more than it should]. Haven't seen any wire that is actually burnt but appears a couple sections of the 8 or 10ga has been replaced. I will be going back with 8ga and haven't decide on the big cables but it will be the same or probably bigger than what's there now. Anyway that's what I did today besides a lot of cleaning/washing.

Kaiser67M715

Well if you know what the first picture is you know what fun I have been and will be having for the next few weekends.
Spoiler alert, it's the glow plug harness. Picture 2 this connector was on the driver side and was the only GP connector like it, anyone know why [it and most of the other connectors are toast]. Waiting on new wire to rewire complete [all orange... by mistake, why would they change the color from orange to green???].
View attachment 783086View attachment 783087
Most of the battery to bus [12 & 24] looks... well, 33 years old [and some has been worked on more than once!!!] and is pretty brittle and some looks as though it has been heated up before [more than it should]. Haven't seen any wire that is actually burnt but appears a couple sections of the 8 or 10ga has been replaced. I will be going back with 8ga and haven't decide on the big cables but it will be the same or probably bigger than what's there now. Anyway that's what I did today besides a lot of cleaning/washing.
That is the factory style harness for a civilian style 6.2, it is all fusible link, 10 guage (orange) then split into 16 gauge(green) for each individual plug. The one rubber connector is a replacement, the spade plastic are stock for 6.2's. There are several write ups on this, not specifically on this site, but many examples.

Fusible link was used because of the high temperature rating of the wire jacket, plus it acted as a fuse should any glow plug malfuntion.

Edit: I might have the sizes wrong on the glow plug harness, I need to look it back up, might be 12 for orange, and 16 or 18 for the green.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

TGP (IL)

I'm not going to say that GP harness is a common problem,
But a few have known to go bad at the splice.

The #8 or 10 gauge wire spliced, you mention at the buss,

Was the fusible links.

I hope they were replaced as required.

Tom

riggermedic

I’ve been recently unemployed and just by chance a buddy of mine has been chronically out of town during “medical convention season” so I have been house and dog sitting for him. Conveniently he happens to have a really nice garage with all the modern accessories.
I gutted the box in my M1010, sealed all the holes and seams, and installed some General dynamics “vehicular thermal insulation panels” inside the box. The previous owner was a search and rescue out of Washington state and did some pretty funky stuff to the wiring so I stripped all that out as well.
I took it up camping two weeks ago from 1000 foot elevation to 8000 foot elevation. I got 9 miles to the gallon on the way up and 16 on the way back(4.11 geared differentials of unknown source or reliability) This was the first trip that I took not counting in town driving and she took it like a champ. Slowest was 35 mph on a really steep hill.
I replaced a rear pinion seal that had a very slow leak and a front transfer case drive shaft seal that had a moderate leak. Did an oil change, air filter replacement and topped off all fluids.
I began dealing with the rat nest of wiring inside of the cab today. I installed a scanner single side band CB and radio/CD player on the convenient mount that the search and rescue people chopped my dashboard apart to install. Wired up 2 cigarette lighters and two USB ports as well as a 12v gauge next the 24v one. Tomorrow I dissect the dash and make it so I can actually see the gauges at night. I have a large project box that I bought originally for my M1009 but it would appear that big Bertha is getting all the attention these days. Not just an RV but I may end up having to live out of her.

cucvrus

View attachment 783086View attachment 783087
You can make your own glow plug harness. I made a few for snow plow trucks. The wiring was overheated from corrosion on glow plugs. I made a new harness and used 5/16" fuel line and encased the glow plug and connection in dielectric grease at the glow plug. The harness is protected by a large 30 Maxi fuse. I choose that because that was what I had when the truck wouldn't start and the owner needed it NOW. Stock engine harnesses are available. But making a new glow plug harness is fairly easy. Good Luck. To date the truck must still be running. I see it and the owner on occasion. The most recent repair I done on it involved a bad gen 2 light. Be Safe.

Another Ahab

I’ve been recently unemployed and just by chance a buddy of mine has been chronically out of town during “medical convention season” so I have been house and dog sitting for him. Conveniently he happens to have a really nice garage with all the modern accessories.
Sure hope you pick up some work soon. Good luck there.

joshuak

I gutted the box in my M1010, sealed all the holes and seams, and installed some General dynamics “vehicular thermal insulation panels” inside the box. The previous owner was a search and rescue out of Washington state and did some pretty funky stuff to the wiring so I stripped all that out as well.
I took it up camping two weeks ago from 1000 foot elevation to 8000 foot elevation. I got 9 miles to the gallon on the way up and 16 on the way back(4.11 geared differentials of unknown source or reliability)This was the first trip that I took not counting in town driving and she took it like a champ. Slowest was 35 mph on a really steep hill.
I replaced a rear pinion seal that had a very slow leak and a front transfer case drive shaft seal that had a moderate leak. Did an oil change, air filter replacement and topped off all fluids.
I began dealing with the rat nest of wiring inside of the cab today. I installed a scanner single side band CB and radio/CD player on the convenient mount that the search and rescue people chopped my dashboard apart to install. Wired up 2 cigarette lighters and two USB ports as well as a 12v gauge next the 24v one
. Tomorrow I dissect the dash and make it so I can actually see the gauges at night. I have a large project box that I bought originally for my M1009 but it would appear that big Bertha is getting all the attention these days. Not just an RV but I may end up having to live out of her.

All that and no picture? Gotta give us something...:p

Following progress on big Bertha and echoing AnotherAhab's good wishes on the job search.

rustystud

That sure is pretty country your way. Thanks for the "long view" pic.

Ever see any big cats in those hills, are there even any left?
Last week my son and I saw a mountain Lion walk into my neighbors property. Of course we see that same mountain Lion around here a lot. Really don't like it much when he strolls down our driveway ! Freaked out my wife last month.

Another Ahab

Last week my son and I saw a mountain Lion walk into my neighbors property. Of course we see that same mountain Lion around here a lot. Really don't like it much when he strolls down our driveway ! Freaked out my wife last month.
That was a VERY reasonable reaction!

Cool that they are still around. Not so cool that where you live is also where they like to live (it can make for sure for problems).

Think I'd leave one of these by the door to carry everytime (!) I walked outside the house:

A1.jpg

rustystud

That was a VERY reasonable reaction!

Cool that they are still around. Not so cool that where you live is also where they like to live (it can make for sure for problems).

Think I'd leave one of these by the door to carry everytime (!) I walked outside the house:

View attachment 783282
My wife has several "air cans" !!! Besides the ones she keeps in the car. Another thing she does which really cracks me up is when she goes for a walk she talks really load saying "Go away Bear ! Go away Cat ! Like the bears and Cats can understand her :p ! Of course she might be right and I'm the one who will end up getting eaten !

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No lions tigers or bears, but I did rollover the odometer on my M1009 which isn't a really big deal but I did manage to do as I pulled into the parking structure at work so I could record the event.100,000.0 miles.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks