• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The insurance adjuster is probably going to want to total it, keep it and give you $1500 for it calling it an old wore out 80s model pickup. Just keep you guard up and if you keep it don't let them brand your title salvage. It might pay to act like your neck is hurting if they try to give you a hard time.
I got a concussion... No need to play anything. lol

ballencd

And why wouldn't you just fix the brush guard and move on. I had the same thing happen to me about 15 years ago. I was the fourth vehicle through a green light and a guy running the other direction, in town for a funeral, in a rented car, never slowed down. I saw it just in time and slammed on my brakes. He slid past the front of me slightly bending my brush guard and taking the quarter panel of his car off from the front of the back door to the bumper. Insurance company totaled his car and gave me about $160 for repairs. An hour or two later and a can or two of spray paint and I was back on the road. I was lucky that there was a cop standing about 35 feet away who saw the whole thing.

MarcusOReallyus

I got a concussion... No need to play anything. lol
Man, that stinks. Had the same thing happen to me just over a year ago. Highway, going home, doing 55 and some idiot coming from my right was watching to his right, and pulled his Suburban right out in front of me.

Totaled my Jeep and fractured my kneecap. They immobilized my leg for 10 weeks for that to heal. 8 months of physical therapy later, and it's as good as it's going to get. My leg will probably never be the same again.

rustystud

Man, that stinks. Had the same thing happen to me just over a year ago. Highway, going home, doing 55 and some idiot coming from my right was watching to his right, and pulled his Suburban right out in front of me.

Totaled my Jeep and fractured my kneecap. They immobilized my leg for 10 weeks for that to heal. 8 months of physical therapy later, and it's as good as it's going to get. My leg will probably never be the same again.
That really sucks Marcus ! I had something similar happen to my father and me about 30 years ago now. We where on the freeway when a sudden downpour caused a major accident. We where forced to make a panic stop. Thankfully we came to a complete stop without hitting anyone, but the guy behind me was arguing with his wife and slammed into us going 55 miles per hour in his Suburban ! I hit my knee on the window crank and put a dent in my bone. It also tore my Menicus really bad. After 4 surgeries and now a knee replacement I'm fine ! I hope you don't have to go down that road.

MarcusOReallyus

That's just nuts. Crazy. Wrong-headed. I'll stop there.

I got off with a fractured kneecap because of seat belts and air bags. With seat belt but no air bag, I would likely have had injuries to my face and neck. Not major, but not trivial, either. With no seat belt and no airbag I'd likely have been seriously injured, possibly killed.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cleaned the inside of my M1008A1.

Vacuumed all the dirt out.
Cleaned windows.
WD40 sprayed and wiped on door panels and dash, etc.
Really keeps dust at bay for a while.

Removed the kick plates and door weatherstrip and cleaned underneath.
Treated interior floor, etc with ACF50 to prevent any rust and stop it if there was any.
There’s none luckily.
Then reinstalled the interior pieces, including floor mats (aka truck splash guards).

Good for a while now.
The ACF50 treatment last two years.

rustystud

Cleaned the inside of my M1008A1.

Vacuumed all the dirt out.
Cleaned windows.
WD40 sprayed and wiped on door panels and dash, etc.
Really keeps dust at bay for a while.

Removed the kick plates and door weatherstrip and cleaned underneath.
Treated interior floor, etc with ACF50 to prevent any rust and stop it if there was any.
There’s none luckily.
Then reinstalled the interior pieces, including floor mats (aka truck splash guards).

Good for a while now.
The ACF50 treatment last two years.
I ordered some AFC 50 corrosion treatment just now based on your recommendation. Thanks Tinstar !

Keith_J

My Rube Goldbergish AC is back working..for those search impaired, this is a Sanden SD508 compressor direct driven by a 2 kW 24 volt DC motor. Under dash evaporator and conventional front mounted condenser.

The compressor is mounted on the right frame rail under the passenger seat. Instead of a compressor clutch, a 400 amp relay contactor connects the 80 amps of 24 volts.

The problem? I ran hard aluminum line for the high pressure and didn't isolate against vibrations. The cab mount rubbed a hole in this line. So it needed a flush, complete lube change and recharge. New receiver-dryer too, naturally. Plus I sealed the condenser-radiator so air flow is much better, reducing head pressure and temperature.

I have a digital ammeter hard wired into the left alternator ground and can attest the alternators drive 100+ amperes when needed and engine over 1500 RPM.

The next add on to the AC is a 200 amp rated pulse width modulated DC motor speed control. This speed control needs an enclosure to protect it from water and dirt..although it would be best to mount it in the cab. Just routing the 4 gauge wires (4 of them) needs another big hole I don't want to drill.

Once installed, instead of a temperature control, it will be a variable speed compressor. So jumping into a hot truck, max speed. Once it gets cool, dial it down. PWM is very efficient means of controlling motor speed and functions like a DC transformer. Motor torque is not impacted, only power which means speed.

LT67

Got the 85 M1008 back on the road; new batteries, some wiring gremlins fixed, rebuilt the starter, new radiator and new harmonic balancer. The ole 6.2 runs a lot better and smoother with a new balancer... feels good to drive and hear it again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks