• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How did you break an SM465??
I'm not quite sure. It wasn't catastrophic at all. Just lost the ability to move. It had been having trouble staying in a few gears anyway. I suppose it could be a transfer case too but it's fresh. Either way I have an NV4500 and Dodge 208 in the garage. I'll be working towards installing them. Cool thing about the Dodge 208 is the fixed yoke, no more slip yoke deal.

Berto

Picked up my CUCV yesterday in Vegas and drove her home to Phoenix. She ran well but lost a fuel return line plug on the way so we had to do a quick short term temp plug fix on the way home. I think putting in fresh return likes and caps will be the first thing I do to her.

711ED121-CE7C-49AE-8AA8-E4A3B9C8A391.jpg896168C6-25BC-4E67-A445-EF1E030F2A3A.jpgD8AB70E9-BC0E-4DAD-A2A4-95B40F4B5F0E.jpg

LT67

I'm not quite sure. It wasn't catastrophic at all. Just lost the ability to move. It had been having trouble staying in a few gears anyway. I suppose it could be a transfer case too but it's fresh. Either way I have an NV4500 and Dodge 208 in the garage. I'll be working towards installing them. Cool thing about the Dodge 208 is the fixed yoke, no more slip yoke deal.
Sounds like the synchro rings..

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up an M1009.

Been driving it and noticed shift points were off.... 35 and 50, super harsh.

I know what that means....

So I pulled the air cleaner housing off and inspected the vacuum lines...

They crumbled in my hand.

Went to O'Reilly, spent 6$ on new vacuum tubing, and now shifting around 25 and 35....so soft you almost can't feel it.

I love simple fixes.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up a decent lower front seat from CUCVRUS. Removed the upper part and after some re-threading of the lower attachment hardware, I was able to get it all back together.
Sure wish I had this completed before the Convoy. The newer seat is much firmer that the old worn out one and fells much better where it counts.

Got the tires balanced and no more shimmy and wobble above 63 MPH. Truck drives and handles much better now.

Thanks to Rick for the seat!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changed the engine oil and oil filter, air filter and fuel filter.
Mobil1 Delvac and Wix filters.
Cleaned windows and inside of CUCV.
Was a bit dusty.

Then took the puppy dogs with me to go get a Coke.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going to go look at an M1009 tomorrow.

Owner thought he had a bad flexplate...so he took it to a transmission shop, they said they replaced it, now it doesn't run.... just grinds.. He doesn't wanna fight with the shop and apparently he doesn't wanna deal with the truck either.

It's cheap.. dirt cheap..

but......

Volvo740turbo

Im looking to buy an engine for my m1009, the owner has agreed to let me pull the pan to look for damage, besides obvious bits and peices and bent rods and a starter bolt to test the threads on the block are there any really easy things im not aware of to look at when making a used engine purchase like this? Thanks in advance, also sorry if this is posted in the wrong place

cucvrus

I would be careful of any used engines. I have a 1986 M1028 engine that had 10K miles on it. I have it since 1998 and still would not sell it with a warranty. It is a 30 year old engine. I know it is good but it seems every time I sell a 6.2 someone wants to turn the fuel up or add a turbo and when things go south in 6 months the blame comes back on me. Any used engine at this age is susceptible to worn seals and other unknow problems. It should at minimum have the heads pulled and checked and all new seals and gaskets. The bottom end is the strong part. The head gaskets and heads are the weakest link. Good Luck.
I have a few good 6.2 engines but mileage between us keeps us from making a deal. I also have a couple core 6.2J engines and blocks. If you get this way sometime we could get together. Good Luck.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks