• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

dougco1

That's the idea! I did it just for you! :mrgreen:

Yeah, this is one place where Ford has it right, and Chevy has it all wrong. I have too many keys to keep track of as it is!
Now the new Chevys are 1 key for all. And the Leer Cap I had installed with side tool boxes keys itself to your truck key. A true 1 key fits all.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, this is one place where Ford has it right, and Chevy has it all wrong. I have too many keys to keep track of as it is!
When I was a single guy living in the barracks on base at Travis, I owned two fords (old maverick and mustang II). I had the hardware store cut a new key with the maverick pattern on one side and the mustang pattern on the other. So one key would work the doors, trunks, and ignitions of both cars (as long as I oriented it properly on insertion).

RobM36A2

What have I done to my CUCV lately:

Well, just drove it a lot.
The steeringbox was leaking for a while, needed to bring the truck to my shop, but did not have the time, so kept refilling the tiny amount into the steering pump.
The leak stopped just as soon as it started, maybe a dry seal or so?

Just before going to a festival it took a bit longer cranking to start, not not so much it was noticeable (+2sec).
After the festival couldn't get it to start anymore, glow system is practically new, kept cranking, heard the engine wanting to fire, but starving of fuel.
Finally had to call our version of the AAA (ANWB) to help me out. A little puff of brake cleaner (engine killer) did the trick and it came to life with a big roar (too much fuel).
Refueled (75 litres, was indeed running on fumes) drove home and parked. Maybe the tank was about empty and it sucked some junk, because the exhaust was smoking as it was idling at home.

After going to a few meets with the trucks difficult starting and smelling something like petroleum in the exhaust, came home with the fuel gauge about 3/4 full.
Came to check out the truck this morning pondering if my glow card wasn't working good, changed it and turned on the key.
I noticed my fuel gauge was on the "full" mark, instead of 3/4. Then, after glowing and bad starting, my back yard was full of grey smoke smelling like a mix of diesel, petrol and petroleum. Also smelled the filler neck and that smelled funky also, not like diesel fuel, more like petrol and petroleum.
My shop advised to run the truck a lot, and at 1/4 tank, put in a litre of spiritus (the blue fuel variant), drive around town and fuel up.

Thinking somebody is messing with my truck's fuel system. Put a small marker in the fuel door to check.
It is sad to know some people can't keep their hands of ather peoples stuff.
Jealous or just not liking my truck, ok, but talk to me, instead of trying to destroy my property

Still need to bring it to the shop for a manual glowplug button, the steeringbox mystery, a lockable fuel cap and some other small things.
As I work all week, no time to do it myself and I make enough money, so don't worry about that.

The strange thing about this hard starting is:
When cold, glowing, wait light goes off, I wait till the relay stops clicking, takes a long time of cranking till it starts.
When the engine is warm/hot, no trouble starting at all, the funky exhaust smell stays.

911joeblow

What have I done to my CUCV lately:

Well, just drove it a lot.
The steeringbox was leaking for a while, needed to bring the truck to my shop, but did not have the time, so kept refilling the tiny amount into the steering pump.
The leak stopped just as soon as it started, maybe a dry seal or so?

Just before going to a festival it took a bit longer cranking to start, not not so much it was noticeable (+2sec).
After the festival couldn't get it to start anymore, glow system is practically new, kept cranking, heard the engine wanting to fire, but starving of fuel.
Finally had to call our version of the AAA (ANWB) to help me out. A little puff of brake cleaner (engine killer) did the trick and it came to life with a big roar (too much fuel).
Refueled (75 litres, was indeed running on fumes) drove home and parked. Maybe the tank was about empty and it sucked some junk, because the exhaust was smoking as it was idling at home.

After going to a few meets with the trucks difficult starting and smelling something like petroleum in the exhaust, came home with the fuel gauge about 3/4 full.
Came to check out the truck this morning pondering if my glow card wasn't working good, changed it and turned on the key.
I noticed my fuel gauge was on the "full" mark, instead of 3/4. Then, after glowing and bad starting, my back yard was full of grey smoke smelling like a mix of diesel, petrol and petroleum. Also smelled the filler neck and that smelled funky also, not like diesel fuel, more like petrol and petroleum.
My shop advised to run the truck a lot, and at 1/4 tank, put in a litre of spiritus (the blue fuel variant), drive around town and fuel up.

Thinking somebody is messing with my truck's fuel system. Put a small marker in the fuel door to check.
It is sad to know some people can't keep their hands of ather peoples stuff.
Jealous or just not liking my truck, ok, but talk to me, instead of trying to destroy my property

Still need to bring it to the shop for a manual glowplug button, the steeringbox mystery, a lockable fuel cap and some other small things.
As I work all week, no time to do it myself and I make enough money, so don't worry about that.

The strange thing about this hard starting is:
When cold, glowing, wait light goes off, I wait till the relay stops clicking, takes a long time of cranking till it starts.
When the engine is warm/hot, no trouble starting at all, the funky exhaust smell stays.
It is possible you just got a bad tank of fuel. Fill stations have had fuels mixed up and you get a gas/diesel blend. Also algae/water will make it smell weird too. I might just drain all the fuel off and try just a 5 gal pail of known good diesel before I go too far down other roads. Good luck with it.

Kaiser67M715

It is possible you just got a bad tank of fuel. Fill stations have had fuels mixed up and you get a gas/diesel blend. Also algae/water will make it smell weird too. I might just drain all the fuel off and try just a 5 gal pail of known good diesel before I go too far down other roads. Good luck with it.
Yeah, you don't want to risk any engine damage on blended fuel, these IP need true diesel to remain lubricated, plus because the gas is a much more volatile combustion, it can cause cylinder damage (just like ether/starting fluid)

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
30+ year old shocks replaced on my mom's M1010....completely shot obviously... Only the rear, due to $$$.. But got an amazing deal on KYB Monomax shocks, were are a hair below the Bilsteins..... They normally cost ~$100 a piece but I picked them up for ~$60 a piece...

New tires for her coming this week too. Opted for 285/75/16...

New shocks and wider tires should have that truck feeling a lot more planted to the roadway.... The 285/75/16s are 2" wider and an inch taller than the stock 235/85/16..... The net effect is 4" MORE width in contact with the road, per axle.... That's a lot of contact patch.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got someone to help me remove the bed. Had it all loose and ready to go.
IMG-20180624-WA0008.jpgIMG-20180624-WA0010.jpg

Also got the tank out from under the donor M1009.

IMG-20180624-WA0015.jpg

Has anyone here ever added a rear fuel tank to a truck? After having a quick look at cross member placement, it seems that both trailer hitches' supports are going to be a problem?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...wider tires should have that truck feeling a lot more planted to the roadway.... The 285/75/16s are 2" wider and an inch taller than the stock 235/85/16..... The net effect is 4" MORE width in contact with the road, per axle.... That's a lot of contact patch.
Yes, that is more contact patch, but I wouldn't bet on it feeling more planted with tires that are really too wide for the rims.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that is more contact patch, but I wouldn't bet on it feeling more planted with tires that are really too wide for the rims.
285/75 can go on a 6.5" rim..... But they'd be more at home on an 8".... I get it..

I've had them on my M1031 and they were fine.

Had 33/12.5/15 on my M1009

Tons of people run 285/75/16.... without issue.

(J.Z.'s M1008 stock rims)
017.jpg002.jpg

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I haven't done much work on my CUCVs lately but I did pick up an extremely rusty newer Chevy...
IMG_2294.jpg
...with an NV4500 overdrive transmission.:)
IMG_2295.jpg
I guess I'm going to look at installing that in my m1028 at some point. Running down the highway without the engine screaming would be nice.
IMG_2328.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I haven't done much work on my CUCVs lately but I did pick up an extremely rusty newer Chevy...

...with an NV4500 overdrive transmission.:)
Parts truck number 2 got brought home this evening, an 87 k10. It's a real beauty.[thumbzup]
IMG_2352.jpgIMG_2354.jpgIMG_2353.jpgIMG_2355.jpg
Actually it's a bit rough:lol:, but it has more parts I'll need for the NV4500 swap like the hydraulic clutch pedal and steering column.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks