• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

rustystud

Got my NOS flexplate installed on the back of my new P400 engine.
Now is the time to install the starter and see if there is any clearance or engagement issues. Once the transmission is installed it gets pretty hard to see what is going on back there. After you check it you can always remove the starter to make it easier to fit the engine in the truck.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now is the time to install the starter and see if there is any clearance or engagement issues. Once the transmission is installed it gets pretty hard to see what is going on back there. After you check it you can always remove the starter to make it easier to fit the engine in the truck.
Yes and that is exactly what I am preparing to do. I am trying to decide which starter to install. I have my original 1984 27MT direct drive off my 6.2 which has only 12,000 miles, but it seems sacrilegious to use that old-school starter on this P400 6.5 engine. I considered a HMMWV starter but was convinced by others that it would be too big and heavy, and the support bracket would not work. The only other option is a newer 28MT gear redustion starter. Your thoughts? Is there such a thing as a US-made 28MT gear reduction starter?

Thanks in advance for all opinions.

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sharecropper, for what it's worth, I have been very happy with the 24 VDC gear reduction starter I purchased on-line about 7 years and 40,000 miles ago for my M1009. Too long ago to remember details of the purchase but the good news is it has just worked. I am fairly certain it was made overseas but it has performed well and not being as heavy is really nice when installing it. I have been following your rebuild thread, very nicely done!

True Knight

Sharecropper, for what it's worth, I have been very happy with the 24 VDC gear reduction starter I purchased on-line about 7 years and 40,000 miles ago for my M1009. Too long ago to remember details of the purchase but the good news is it has just worked. I am fairly certain it was made overseas but it has performed well and not being as heavy is really nice when installing it. I have been following your rebuild thread, very nicely done!
I too bought an overseas gear reduction starter for my CUCV and it worked perfectly for many years. Just replaced it with another after having a stuck starter relay.

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interestingly the stuck starter relay was the reason I had to replace mine; it happened shortly after I towed my CUCV home from Nellis AFB/govliguidation.com. I did not know anything about the Doghead relay upgrade but found out REAL FAST! Everything seemed to be in slow motion as I raced to remove the battery cables but the damage was done although I did not have burned wires on top of it. I found Steel Soldiers soon after when I started looking for repair information. I guess I am hopelessly addicted because being "forced" to learn the idiosyncrasies of the CUCV's made owning one more enjoyable.

rustystud

I too bought an overseas gear reduction starter for my CUCV and it worked perfectly for many years. Just replaced it with another after having a stuck starter relay.
I'm a big fan of the reduction starter myself. Less weight, less amps needed, and less heat build-up. If your worried about the quality of the "overseas" unit, then just take it apart and clean it good and lube it up. Half the time I've found out the "cheaper" overseas units lack grease. Simply fix.

Chaski

Put new tires on the clone.

The HMMWV Wrangler MT tires I had on it were old when I put them on 5 years ago, it was time for new rubber. Pitbull Rocker radials were on sale so I broke out the elbow grease and got busy dealing with 24 bolt HMMWV wheels...

The tires are a little taller and wider than the MTs.

fullsizeoutput_e66.jpg

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had my original 1984 AC Delco starter completely rebuilt and installed in on my P400 with new GM starter bolts and original bracket (sorry Rustystud). I figured it turned and started my 6.2 just fine for 26 years so maybe, just maybe, it would turn the P400 for a while. I temporarily wired a ground from my M1028 to the new engine on the cradle and then touched a temporary hot 24 volt wire from the M1028 back battery to the bendix (solenoid to all you young whippersnappers) to engage the gear with the flex plate to check the engagement and clearance. It was perfect. Amazing that 1984 external 6.2 parts are interchangable with this 2018 6.5 P400.

Also installed a new GEP vented fuel pump, and fabricated/installed a new hard fuel line. Next up - install the Bowtie 700R4.

Attachments

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changed oil and filter.
Mobil1 Delvac 10W40

Air and fuel filters were not due yet.

Cold front coming so I did a detailed inspection all over and underneath truck.

All looked good.
I’m ready.

Keith_J

Finished the Class V hitch install. 41938 model Draw Tite. The install of the hitch wasn't hard, its all the bolts for the bumper as it has to be pulled and the frame extension brackets modified, removing the lower stamped bracket which is welded on with 4 small stitch welds. Not planning on using the rear shackles as they now only have two bolts securing them to the heavy piece.

Getting rid of the two vertical bolts on the frame extensions gave me a great place to mount the Air Ride suspension valves.

Last edited:

rustystud

Had my original 1984 AC Delco starter completely rebuilt and installed in on my P400 with new GM starter bolts and original bracket (sorry Rustystud). I figured it turned and started my 6.2 just fine for 26 years so maybe, just maybe, it would turn the P400 for a while. I temporarily wired a ground from my M1028 to the new engine on the cradle and then touched a temporary hot 24 volt wire from the M1028 back battery to the bendix (solenoid to all you young whippersnappers) to engage the gear with the flex plate to check the engagement and clearance. It was perfect. Amazing that 1984 external 6.2 parts are interchangable with this 2018 6.5 P400.

Also installed a new GEP vented fuel pump, and fabricated/installed a new hard fuel line. Next up - install the Bowtie 700R4.
Hey, no problem. I'm all for getting the most "bang for the buck". So if your old starter still works, go for it.

sneekyeye

Had the driver alternator front bearing sieze. Went in and replaced the bearings in both alternators. While I was waiting on parts, I replaced the driveshaft universal joints.

sandcobra164

Installed a new injection pump calibrated for a 6.5 N/A HMMWV on my truck this week. I swapped the top cover to retain the 12 volt shut off and cold advance solenoid with no issues. I have to make an adapter for the vacuum modulator but I rigged it temporarily to stay at 1/2 throttle setting and it's shifting at about 2,200 rpm which is fine. It really woke this truck up, it puts a 1/4 mile gap on my 5 ton when taking off from a stop sign now. Sarge participated in the Veterans Day Parade in my hometown and is running like a top now.

Keith_J

New batteries and dropped the 16x8 wheels off to get 255 85 16 Coopers installed. Yes, 8" wide wheels so it will have a much more powerful stance. 4" offsets so the rims are even with the front fenders. Still stock wheels, nothing fancy.

I managed to save the spare tire mount, the hitch and mount needed metal massage but that was easy. The gap is 32-3/4" so it won't fit a full size 33" spare but then again, a brand new spare with worn wheels will have diameter mismatch. The Detroit Locker will only engage on the slower wheel so there might be an issue with turns. Cest la vie!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks