• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

cucvrus

DSCF4936.jpgAnd the 7th day I attempted to rest. The 11th commandment. Thou shall not ignore the lawn even when 1 week of rain falls upon us. 2nd heavy load of grass and that task is done. hopefully never again. I will mow in rain. DSCF4937.jpgDSCF4938.jpgDSCF4939.jpgAlso I noticed the temperature gauge was rising as I hauled the grass and top soil. I realized I still had the winter covers on. Easy enough. Removed and stowed all in 5 minutes with the nut driver and fasteners back under the hood. Have a great day. This week more top soil and scrap steel to haul. Lots of parts going for recycling.

cucvrus

DSCF4952 - Copy.jpgDSCF4953 - Copy.jpgDSCF4954.jpgDSCF4955.jpgDSCF4956.jpgI went and loaded and unloaded free top soil again. May be a small bucket on the front but it beats the pants off of a shovel. I used the M1009 I know the trailer was way over loaded. Only went a few miles and the M1009 drove nice. I drove the tractor to and from the donor pile. That was fun also. Actually more fun then the CUCV. Have a great day. he tractor has A/C surround and a rickster exhaust mod to increase horse power.

dougco1

View attachment 729545View attachment 729546View attachment 729547View attachment 729548View attachment 729549I went and loaded and unloaded free top soil again. May be a small bucket on the front but it beats the pants off of a shovel. I used the M1009 I know the trailer was way over loaded. Only went a few miles and the M1009 drove nice. I drove the tractor to and from the donor pile. That was fun also. Actually more fun then the CUCV. Have a great day. he tractor has A/C surround and a rickster exhaust mod to increase horse power.
Entertaining again? You actually drove your Kubota 2 miles up the road with that stack installed? What are your neighbors thinking of you now?

FrankenCub

Not much to show, but finally rotated my tires after replacing the whooped shocks up front. The front tires were cupping, the locker always has a way of fixing them though.
Unfortunately now I get a wicked case of death wobble, where I only occasionally had it before. I'm thinking it's a tire out of balance but I'm also sure the tire shop isn't going to worth a crap at balancing them. Don't airsoft bb's work for balancing tires? If so, how much per tire?

90Jimmy

Got Jerry Can mount installed... thanks to the CUCVRUS information posted about the correct fastener it was a one trip to the hardware store project. 5/16-18. Tested it out with a fuel can and it’s perfect. I’m sure a water can on the inside is how I’m loading out. Thanks again to everyone who contributes to this forum.

Attachments

sneekyeye

I finally got to sleeving my winch power cables. I ordered some of that braided plastic expandable wire sleeve. it wasn't a bad job to do, just had to unbolt one side and slip the sheath over it and a piece of heat shrink for each end. A few zip ties and that's that.
IMAG0863[1].jpg
IMAG0862[1].jpg
IMAG0864[1].jpg

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

View attachment 729546I went and loaded and unloaded free top soil again. May be a small bucket on the front but it beats the pants off of a shovel.
Sure does. I've done about 1,000 feet of French drain with my BX25D, and I have a few hundred feet more to go. Yeah, a real backhoe would have done it in about a quarter of the time, but a real backhoe is out of my price range and too big for my property. So, I just take it slow and get the job done anyway.

That free topsoil looks suspiciously like horse manure. I usually get a load each year. Lots of horse farms around here.

? You actually drove your Kubota 2 miles up the road with that stack installed? What are your neighbors thinking of you now?
I'm sure they think he's quite nuts! :mrgreen:

I have been thinking I need to re-route my exhaust, but that approach never occurred to me, for some reason. :beer:

cucvrus

DSCF4957.jpgDSCF4959.jpgDSCF4960.jpgDSCF4961.jpgI had some free time today and decided it was time to make the 1990 K5 cab disappear. So the Kubota and the sawszall was all I needed and I had another open parking spot. Have a great day and be safe.

alpine44

View attachment 729680View attachment 729681View attachment 729682View attachment 729683I had some free time today and decided it was time to make the 1990 K5 cab disappear. So the Kubota and the sawszall was all I needed and I had another open parking spot. Have a great day and be safe.
That reminds me of the only rust spots I have on my M1009, two small areas in the cab floor.

Everybody, please let me know if you are going to part with a cab where these pieces could be salvaged from. They are small but curved and I rather not have to hammer flat sheet metal into shape.

Abbylind

Spent the last week changing tires (HMMWV) 12 bolt wheels om my M1008...PITA! Bought some MTRs on eBay with 95% tread. Couldnt find anyone locally to change them so Ive been tasked myself. PVC inserts were a treat, finally used a floor jack and warped them into an oval to get them in the Goodyear MTRs. Had to shop around to find the correct O rings. Wheel studs stripped and bolts also on several of them.. Had to make studs from parts and used aircraft nuts. Got ready to air up one and found the tire had a tear in the sidewall....arrrgh teardown! Cut the sidewall to get the insert out....Finally got 2 together and aired to 35psi.
The tire supplier, Faith tire, is sending another MTR so the fun begins with the rear tires....! Used airsoft beads for dynamic balancing...so far seems OK. Might take them for a final spin balance at a friends tire shop.

cucvrus

That reminds me of the only rust spots I have on my M1009, two small areas in the cab floor.

Everybody, please let me know if you are going to part with a cab where these pieces could be salvaged from. They are small but curved and I rather not have to hammer flat sheet metal into shape.
Buy the floor panels from LMC truck. I used them in the past. NOT my favorite thing to do but I have used them. Then when done. Line X the interior and live happily ever after. Forget about the home cured bed liners waste of time. Coming from a guy that has been paid several times to remove the home spun and fix rust. Have a Great Day. I spent the day working out in the barn putting tail lamps and a horn on my Kubota. I looked at the CUCV and it looked back. Not in the mood for that right now. Still waiting heads and springs to walk here. I have them but must pick them up. Then the wrenches will dance and sing. M1009 still resting inside. Taking up space.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spent the last week changing tires (HMMWV) 12 bolt wheels om my M1008...PITA! Bought some MTRs on eBay with 95% tread. Couldnt find anyone locally to change them so Ive been tasked myself. PVC inserts were a treat, finally used a floor jack and warped them into an oval to get them in the Goodyear MTRs. Had to shop around to find the correct O rings. Wheel studs stripped and bolts also on several of them.. Had to make studs from parts and used aircraft nuts. Got ready to air up one and found the tire had a tear in the sidewall....arrrgh teardown! Cut the sidewall to get the insert out....Finally got 2 together and aired to 35psi.
The tire supplier, Faith tire, is sending another MTR so the fun begins with the rear tires....! Used airsoft beads for dynamic balancing...so far seems OK. Might take them for a final spin balance at a friends tire shop.
I mount my own as well. The O-rings come in two sizes: too big and too small. You can read stories about heating up the small ones or freezing the large ones, none of that is worthwhile. Get the big ones (or even a spool of the correct diameter rubber), use a single edged razor blade to cut the correct size. Cut at a 45 degree angle more or less. Super glue the cut ends together. Seriously. The glued piece will bond stronger than the native rubber material. Lay a bead of RTV in one wheel half, then lay in your customized o-ring. Bolt the wheel halves together then let the RTV set overnight. Next morning inflate to 35 psi. If you inflate the tire right away after you assemble then the RTV will squeeze out, so wait for it to set up. I have tires on 12-bolt and 8-bolt wheels that have been inflated for 2 years with no issue.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
performed gravimetric analysis on the M1009

That is, I had it weighed :) Steer axle 3120 lb, drive axle 3000 lb, gross = 6120 lb. That is with a full tank of diesel + 2 spares + full CO2 tank + spare driveshafts + jack + tools. Don't forget I have a cage & rock sliders installed. And me, after lunch :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks