• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

K9Vic

Took my M1009 on a 180 mile total road trip to get a Safari roof rack for my Suburban CUCV clone and had to do a road side repair. When I go to my destination I noticed that my rear axle was leaking and spayed all over the tail gate, so I had to fill it with about a quart of oil. Really sucks when it is 6pm on a Sunday in east Texas with no parts store open. So I just used some heavy weight motor oil to get by and will fix it later in the week. I probably could have found a Walmart, but that was 10 miles over in the next town and was able bandage it where I was.

Anyways, always good to do a check over on road trips and always carry your basic tools.

K9Vic

Sanger Texas, nice score. I saw that when I was getting my Suburban. I just had no place to store it as I was going to buy it for parts. Dang, I wanted that rig. BTW it is a 1984 as there is no 1983 CUCV model year.

Attachments

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep another Red River raid.

For $500 I don't care what year it is....:mrgreen:. Complete except for the engine.

I'll have to check the datatag.

Last edited:

ryan77

Rebuilt both alternators! Both were shot insides were charred and melted!! Also rynolined the inside!

K9Vic

Rebuilt both alternators! Both were shot insides were charred and melted!! Also rynolined the inside!
Did you buy this from that seller in California that paint bombs the entire inside, outside, underside and engine bay?

EDIT: Reread the post, he Rhino lined the inside of his truck. I first read it as the alternator had Rhino lining inside it.

Last edited:

ryan77

Did you buy this from that seller in California that paint bombs the entire inside, outside, underside and engine bay?

EDIT: Reread the post, he Rhino lined the inside of his truck. I first read it as the alternator had Rhino lining inside it.
They did have about 10 lbs of Ft Polk mud in them though!!! Lol

HoJoPo

I installed the LMC headlight harness on Sunday morning, took about 10 minutes since I already had the batteries out to swap with my 1994 Ram 3500 Cummins (put the red tops in the pickup, and the wet batteries in the M1010). I removed the overflow tank to get to the driver's side, the harness was exceptionally easy to install, and the headlights are BRIGHT now!

After re-installing the batteries, she fired right up, running great! Missing a few dash lights and the high beam indicator, but everything else is working, so she's ready to go.

I just wish it wasn't 100 degrees here... the black paint doesn't help, especially when the only air conditioning is to the rear box.

TBob

Replaced the fuel sending unit and and installed the tank, (used a 3 port since it's all I could find). Fired up the beast for the first time since since I got it. Man does it run strong. Now to replace the u-joints and road test it sometime this week. Next month replace the floor pans, hopefully.

True Knight

It towed my 84 Trans Am with an auto transport trailer. I was actually surprised with how well it did climbing a hill. Almost as fast as it climbs the hill without any load. Ha ha.

85CUCVtom

Picked up a starter bracket from the Chevy dealer so I can take off my booty fabricated homemade one. Then I changed the oil and filter and mounted my new fire extinguisher.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks