• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Merddin

View attachment 736963NF0LXR back in uniform, no more fire engine red.
What brand of paint t did you use? Do you know what the paint code was? That 1009 looks great! I am approaching getting my 1008 painted and am trying to get the right paint code for the body shop. I know federal standard 34094 is the original code. We tried looking it up on the paint mixing computer at the body shop, but didn't have any luck the first time.
Thanks

90Jimmy

What brand of paint t did you use? Do you know what the paint code was? That 1009 looks great! I am approaching getting my 1008 painted and am trying to get the right paint code for the body shop. I know federal standard 34094 is the original code. We tried looking it up on the paint mixing computer at the body shop, but didn't have any luck the first time.
Thanks
I used RAPCO 383 green, utilized the thinner and ratio they specify on the web site. One gallon of paint was plenty.

cucvrus

Yea I would not shoot someone stealing anything on my property. I would remain safe and protect my family. But as far as going out and getting into a gun fight I would stay in my castle. Killing someone for stealing a CUCV or any property/vehicle is NOT justifiable homicide. Especially if the steering wheel is chained and locked. That will stop them. It is NOT worth the legal hassle and the risk of my freedom to shoot at or shoot another human being that is stealing. My defense costs would out weigh the item being stolen 10 fold. That's just my thought. Enter my safety zone and threaten my castle safety. Different story. But my outside and out buildings are yours. Not worth the risk of death or killing IMHO. Have a Great Day. Stay Safe.

pigpen60

The problem with ozone is it causes rubber and other materials to deteriorate. And as stated do not breathe it. Me and my coworker got a lung full and he got sent to the ER.

KI4FKW

I finally got my M1008 today after the debacle that was shipping it. On the to do list:

1. Fix a sqealing belt.
2. Put the factory steering wheel back on (came with a GT).
3. Put the STE/ICE port back. It is there, but tucked under the dash.
4. The outside door handle on the passengers side broke...gotta figure that out.
5. Align headlights
6. Fix the blackout lights. None of the toggle switches do anything.
7. Figure out a tag / taglight solution.
8. More to come.

rustystud

The problem with ozone is it causes rubber and other materials to deteriorate. And as stated do not breathe it. Me and my coworker got a lung full and he got sent to the ER.
What ? It causes rubber to deteriorate ? I did not know that. Now how am I going to get rid of those pesky, rotten little meecse !!!
At what percentage does it start to rot the rubber ? Maybe I can lower the machines "ozone" level ?

True Knight

I finally got my M1008 today after the debacle that was shipping it. On the to do list:

1. Fix a sqealing belt...
7. Figure out a tag / taglight solution.
1. The power steering pump bolts like to come loose, especially the bolt holding the bracket to the block. Make sure they’re tight first. I put red thread locker on it to keep it tight.
7. I mounted it on the rear bumper because I use the pintle hitch, and for the lights I bought some light bolts and they worked great.

Got any pictures of your new truck?

KI4FKW

1. The power steering pump bolts like to come loose, especially the bolt holding the bracket to the block. Make sure they’re tight first. I put red thread locker on it to keep it tight.
7. I mounted it on the rear bumper because I use the pintle hitch, and for the lights I bought some light bolts and they worked great.

Got any pictures of your new truck?
There are a few pictures in this thread https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...time-CUCV-owner-M1008-New-member-from-Alabama

I'll bet you are right about the power steering pump. It is only doing it when turning the wheel sharply. The previous owner had the tag on the left side of the bumper. It may seem silly, but it bothers me that it blocks the blackout light. I may just have to deal with it. I'm not drilling holes in the tailgate.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used L brackets underneath my truck to attach my plate, but I had an M1009, M1010, and M1031, a little diff than an M1008.

I would also look into the legality of running vanity or 'period correct' plates, I'm lucky enough that my state law is worded as such that I can run a green USA (Armed Forces in Germany) identification plate with my state issued plate attached under and behind the bumper, still completely visible but because the USA plate is so obvious, you don't look further, and makes it look better, IMO. So, I'd use Plus Nuts on the tailgate to permanently attach a USA identification plate, and mount the state issued plate below, but check your state law. Some states have very specific mounting requirements.
plates.jpg

I haven't run a license plate light and have never had an issue, but YMMV....

They do make license plate light bolts that you can get on Amazon for dirt cheap....

NOT an auction, per site rules...

https://www.amazon.com/CZC-AUTO-Waterproof-Rainproof-Motorcycle/dp/B077Z6WQ6Q/

KI4FKW

I used L brackets underneath my truck to attach my plate, but I had an M1009, M1010, and M1031, a little diff than an M1008.

I would also look into the legality of running vanity or 'period correct' plates, I'm lucky enough that my state law is worded as such that I can run a green USA (Armed Forces in Germany) identification plate with my state issued plate attached under and behind the bumper, still completely visible but because the USA plate is so obvious, you don't look further, and makes it look better, IMO. So, I'd use Plus Nuts on the tailgate to permanently attach a USA identification plate, and mount the state issued plate below, but check your state law. Some states have very specific mounting requirements.
View attachment 737328

I haven't run a license plate light and have never had an issue, but YMMV....

They do make license plate light bolts that you can get on Amazon for dirt cheap....

NOT an auction, per site rules...

https://www.amazon.com/CZC-AUTO-Waterproof-Rainproof-Motorcycle/dp/B077Z6WQ6Q/
I can get a non-expiring vintage plate, but can’t run a period correct plate after 1976 right now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks