• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know what you mean by, "authoritative source". If you are looking for a white paper from some ASME engineers saying that Fram filters are junk, well, I don't think that's available. There are plenty of videos in that link showing people cutting open various filters and comparing them, and the quality difference is pretty obvious to me, and to a lot of other people. If that's not convincing to you, well, it's your truck.
Here's a fair analogy of this discussion so far:

Dude1: "I just bought a classic 72 Chevy"
Dude2: "Man those suck, you screwed up big time"
Dude1: "Really? A 1972 Corvette sucks?"
Dude2: "Oh yeah, here's some videos that show how bad they suck"
Dude1: "Those videos show a Chevy Chevette, and I bought a Chevy Corvette."
Dude3: "Everyone knows the Chevette is a slow POS, in fact you could probably walk faster than that thing goes."
Dude4: "I had a friend that flogged the crap out of his Chevette and it left him stranded."
Dude1: "But I bought a Corvette."
Dude2: "Oh well, it's your money. If you can't see how bad a Chevette sucks there's not much hope for you."

Like I said, please show me one video where the ToughGuard fails.

(..and before anyone trots out the straw man, I'm NOT comparing the TG to a Corvette, it's an analogy :wink: )

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that's the scientific evidence we've been waiting for! Walmart also sells Wix filters.:)
Not around here they don’t.
And I see you missed the point.

At this point, all the “scientific evidence” you are clambering for wouldn’t matter.
Complain for complainings sake

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
.......... I fueled the truck, I sprayed 12 cans of fluid film on the underside of the truck, I even drove it...........and by the way............ i also have an oil filter, i have seen it........LOL

joshuak

.......... I fueled the truck, I sprayed 12 cans of fluid film on the underside of the truck, I even drove it...........and by the way............ i also have an oil filter, i have seen it........LOL
I think it's totally worth the effort, I also am looking forward to using it on the vehicles this year.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Not around here they don’t.
And I see you missed the point.

At this point, all the “scientific evidence” you are clambering for wouldn’t matter.
Complain for complainings sake
I guess the point is that some people don't like the particular brand of oil filter someone else bought for their truck, is that right?

Does it concern you that the world's largest retailer also sells the particular brand of filter that you use on your cars, trucks, and generators? In your words that "speaks volumes", presumably about quality. Or is that just some nonsense statement and whether or not Walmart sells a product has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of said product?

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The filter discussion and has run it's course long enough.
We can sum up that like a lot of things, every one has their favorite brand of filter and they can use what they wish.

Let's stop the filter bashing discussion now and continue on with the original CUCV discussion of "What have you done to your CUCV Today?"

acthomp781

I agree. I converted my M1009 from 12 volt, BACK TO 24 volt. I had to get another alternator, starter and resistors/bracket. It really did not take that long, once I had all the parts. I was very fortunate, the PO did not cut any wires when he converted it to 12 volt. It starts so much easier, I can literally "bump" the key/starter and it will start, even after sitting all night in the high 20's.

latvius

I replaced my batteries and got ones small enough so both can fit on the rear battery tray. Just have to modify the holder a little bit to be able to use it.
Starts so much faster then it ever did!

MarcusOReallyus

I agree. I converted my M1009 from 12 volt, BACK TO 24 volt. I had to get another alternator, starter and resistors/bracket. It really did not take that long, once I had all the parts. I was very fortunate, the PO did not cut any wires when he converted it to 12 volt. It starts so much easier, I can literally "bump" the key/starter and it will start, even after sitting all night in the high 20's.

That's probably because you were trying to push the amps needed to turn the starter with 12 volts in cables that were sized for 24 volts.

The starter needs the same amount of energy to turn the engine, whether it's running on 12v, 24, 48, or 480 AC 3 phase (if such a starter existed). The energy needed is determined by the job that needs to be done, not by the voltage being applied.

However, if we push that energy with a higher voltage, Dr. Ohm tells us we need fewer amps to get the same job done. P = I x E, or Power (watts) = Current (amps) times E (voltage).

If the job remains the same, and voltage increases, amps decrease. Works the other way, too. If volts DECREASE, amps need to INCREASE to get the same work done.

The problem with most CUCV 12v conversions is that they keep the same battery cables. Those cables were sized for lower amperage requirements, because they were sized at 24volts. If you want to do a 12v conversion correctly, you need to up-size your cables.

There are plenty of civilian 12v diesels out there that start just fine. But take a look at them - the cables are bigger than our CUCVs. Nothing wrong with 12v if you do it right, but most take the shortcut of using the same cables, and it works... Just not as well as it could or should.

If for some strange reason I ever decide to convert mine, I'll factor in the cost of bigger cables and either do it right or not do it at all.

sneekyeye

Test-fit my headers on my P400 -
Not to poo poo your headers, but i think I'm more impressed with that sweet wooden engine stand, lol.

I did an oil change and cleaned up some wiring under the hood. I noticed that for the last two years at least, the 12v supply wire had the fusible link at the power point on the firewall instead of the battery. Well I turned that around, and as I was fiddling with the wiring, my glow plug relay 6 gauge power supply wire came out of its terminal end. So I put together a new glow plug power supply wire.

Ended up fixing the neighbor guy's 2000 blazer as well. Turned out his distributor rotor was shorting to the distributor shaft and he had lost all spark. I told him to pick up a new rotor and that his wires might need to be replaced as well.

sandcobra164

Happy to report that I did nothing other than turn the key and the truck started just fine. It has been sitting since the Veterans Day Parade last weekend. I converted to a spin on fuel filter and installed a new injection pump prior to the Parade. I'm glad the fuel system is air tight again.

Keith_J

Fixed the stalling IP with Diesel Mechanic in a Bottle. Two ounces in the pump after removing the top cover to make sure the rubber ring wasn't the problem. Only stale fuel evidenced by the smell.

Registered and road legal. New tires 255 Cooper Maxx on steel 16x8s1120181109.jpg1120181108.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks