• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.....putting tail lamps and a horn on my Kubota
Horn?
My Kubota and John Deere’s never need a horn.
PA system maybe, but never a horn.

I spent some of today picking spent brass from behind the dash and behind/under seat.
Mostly 22LR. Some 30-30. .308 also
Keeping the pond free of turtles and the coyotes in check adds quite a brass collection.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took the truck for a spin in the 108 degree heat, just to verify all systems are "Go". Now, all of MY systems might not be Go, but the truck is good :)

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took the truck for a spin in the 108 degree heat
But it’s a dry heat.........
Yea......So is an oven.

My wife’s parents live in Lake Havasu, AZ
Almost as hot there as Yuma

I’ll take that any day over South Texas in middle of summer.
108* plus 90% humidity
.....sucks

cucvrus

I replaced 8 A C Delco 5613939 13 G glow plugs in Big Red M1008. Hard start yesterday in 75* weather. 4 plugs bad. All 8 new replacements delivered from the GM dealer $88.72. Looked back in service records and they were last changed 10/09. Not bad for a snow plow work horse with 228,K miles on it. I have a new guy driving it and he loves the truck. Glad he does. No A/C no ride. The 2015 GMC has 184K on it already. All is well here in PA. Have a Great Day.

90Jimmy

I replaced 8 A C Delco 5613939 13 G glow plugs in Big Red M1008. Hard start yesterday in 75* weather. 4 plugs bad. All 8 new replacements delivered from the GM dealer $88.72. Looked back in service records and they were last changed 10/09. Not bad for a snow plow work horse with 228,K miles on it. I have a new guy driving it and he loves the truck. Glad he does. No A/C no ride. The 2015 GMC has 184K on it already. All is well here in PA. Have a Great Day.
Did the new set of 13G's come with the correct size spade connector? I ask because I recently got some from the parts house and they had the wider incorrect spade. Just curious.

Strych9x1

I have M1009. Over the last few days, I removed the column and brake pedel assembly, and installed the column out of a 91 surburban (tilt column, best steering wheel Chevy ever made, better wiper controls, cruise, but I'll never use the cruise function). Also installed a manual pedal assembly with clutch pedal, and clutch master cylinder in preparation for installing an sm465 trans wit np 205 transfer case (currently being rebuilt). Transfer case is getting a Twin stick kit as well.
Also recently purchased the front and rear differentials out of an m1008 from hillbilly wizard. Eventually I'll get around to putting them in as well. Hopefully at the same time the trans goes in, so I don't need to have drive shafts made twice. That would not be ideal.

Kaiser67M715

I have M1009. Over the last few days, I removed the column and brake pedel assembly, and installed the column out of a 91 surburban (tilt column, best steering wheel Chevy ever made, better wiper controls, cruise, but I'll never use the cruise function). Also installed a manual pedal assembly with clutch pedal, and clutch master cylinder in preparation for installing an sm465 trans wit np 205 transfer case (currently being rebuilt). Transfer case is getting a Twin stick kit as well.
Also recently purchased the front and rear differentials out of an m1008 from hillbilly wizard. Eventually I'll get around to putting them in as well. Hopefully at the same time the trans goes in, so I don't need to have drive shafts made twice. That would not be ideal.
Couple extra bucks, but you could get the driveshaft made for the other axles and use a conversion joint until you get the axles, the length is pretty minimal, so your slip joint should take up the extra slack. Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

cucvrus

Did the new set of 13G's come with the correct size spade connector? I ask because I recently got some from the parts house and they had the wider incorrect spade. Just curious.
Yes these are the same part number A C Delco's that the truck left the factory with. I have used nothing but these with the entire stock system for over 20 years on my trucks. Minimum of problems. No issues like I read here. Maintained the stock system and it served me well. It must have worked many others still have it the same way. Have a Great Day. Answer your question. Yes the A C Delco has the 3/16" spades and the other ones that you buy have a 1/4". Less work. Plug and play.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
98127CD0-EA8D-4C7A-857F-6897E32AFDC4.jpg65098DBF-D0CD-44C4-A9AA-492B39AA9931.jpg
After Discovering that I inadvertently left hubs locked in for two days, I painted reference lines.
Did not like the white or red that is commonly used.
OD works for me.

Not going to repaint hubs anytime soon and left them alone.
It’s a working Ranch truck.....not a show piece.

Now a quick glance will let me know if locked or unlocked.

Also washed truck and engine today.
Was a bit dusty.
It was all clean until I drove back down dirt road.
Little dusty again.

FrankenCub

Not much to show, but finally rotated my tires after replacing the whooped shocks up front. The front tires were cupping, the locker always has a way of fixing them though.
Unfortunately now I get a wicked case of death wobble, where I only occasionally had it before. I'm thinking it's a tire out of balance but I'm also sure the tire shop isn't going to worth a crap at balancing them. Don't airsoft bb's work for balancing tires? If so, how much per tire?
Well, finally got around to checking the tire issue out again, one tire looked a bit wonky so I rotated them again the other day. Fixed the 35mph death wobble, but got it back when under braking for a stop. I was at my friend's camp and he happened to notice the front tires and asked if they looked a bit toed out. Sure did. Today I went to the park to do an alignment, the parking lot is paved lol. It was toed out about 1/4", now it's toed in 1/8". Took it out for a test drive with a lot of braking and so far no issue. Figured it was a good time to give everything a good greasing too but ran out of grease and found 2 zerks that wont take grease. I'll take care of that tomorrow.

I keep looking at the box thinking I need to get at the body work to fix the rust. I hate body work :-/
Much rather find a cheap contact maintenance body but that's not gonna happen.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Expecting rain so didn't ride the bike to work, and fired up the M1009.

Later in the day my wife emailed me saying there was a dead rat in the yard, looking like it came out on the losing end of a fight. When I got home I noticed it was centered between the wheel marks in the grass just forward of where the M1009 was parked. Looking at it I'm starting to believe it was up in the engine compartment and got tangled in the belts or whacked by the fan.

Attachments

FrankenCub

How about an M1010 box? Make a camper. Get the gears turning.
I see even fewer of those. The 1031 bodies I've seen have started about $750, even that's more than I can cough up ATM. Although it might cost me that much to fix the bed. Getting ready to move to a new private piece of property.

dougco1

Later in the day my wife emailed me saying there was a dead rat in the yard, looking like it came out on the losing end of a fight. When I got home I noticed it was centered between the wheel marks in the grass just forward of where the M1009 was parked. Looking at it I'm starting to believe it was up in the engine compartment and got tangled in the belts or whacked by the fan.
There should be a viewer discretion warning on your post. Thank god I already ate my breakfast.

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Still a mystery. Its gruesome death was NOT caused by the M1009 after all. I retrieved the security camera footage and he's clearly there long before I left for the morning. I backtracked to around 2am when he appears, dead in the grass, but going back a little more there's nothing captured that shows how he came to be there.

Attachments

Last edited:

alpine44

Buy the floor panels from LMC truck. I used them in the past. NOT my favorite thing to do but I have used them. Then when done. Line X the interior and live happily ever after. Forget about the home cured bed liners waste of time. Coming from a guy that has been paid several times to remove the home spun and fix rust...
So there is no way around these ridiculously expensive bed liner businesses?

cucvrus

So there is no way around these ridiculously expensive bed liner businesses?
If you call $500. expensive. Have at it and keep fixing the floor. My M1009 is used in all weather and I washed it out once in 10 years since I had the Line X sprayed in. Same as my M1008 plow truck. Cab is Line Xed. Awesome stuff. Holds up well and prevents rust and noise reduction. Have you ever removed a home brewed brush in liner. I have. JOY comes to mind and about 40 hours labor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks