• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BUGOUT2, that looks real nice, are the parts from a CUCV or your own mods? I have a 1980 K-5 as well as a 1986 M1009, so far the 1980 is a bit more over built with an 8 lug Dana 44 in the front and a 14 bolt full floater 8 lug in the rear with 4 wheel disc brakes, a manual SM-465 transmission and NP-205 transfer case. But the M1009 is the daily driver.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
0051465E-52ED-4ED3-BF62-DB13CDA0E1F5.jpg814C4CB9-8002-4D10-9279-825B5D555407.jpg5E93A29B-4BCC-4D58-921B-843EB6DB048F.jpg

Installed a transfer case shift indicator light.
The ACDELCO bulb socket worked great
A Philips 194 LED bulb will not get hot in the tight space and puts out plenty of light
More than enough to see the selector and isn’t distracting at night.

The CUCVs didn’t come from factory with the light installed.
Civilian trucks did.
Quick wiring job and some wire loom for protection.

ACDELCO socket was about $8 on Amazon.
Philips 194 LED bulb was about $6

Didn’t really need a light there but it’s sure nice to have one.

russojap

View attachment 776865View attachment 776866View attachment 776867

A Philips 194 LED bulb will not get hot in the tight space and puts out plenty of light

Civilian trucks did.

That's pretty nice, why didn't the CUCVs have a light? What did you wire it into? Is there any way to add interior floor lighting when the doors are opened? Maybe red would look more military , I hate getting into a dark vehicle, makes you feel like the battery is dead.

I really like to keep things as original as possible, but I guess additional lighting could have been a field modification.

Last edited:

rustystud

View attachment 776865View attachment 776866View attachment 776867

Civilian trucks did.

That explains a lot ! I always "assumed" my light connections where bad ! My civilian trucks work fine but my CUCV never worked.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's pretty nice, why didn't the CUCVs have a light? What did you wire it into? Is there any way to add interior floor lighting when the doors are opened? Maybe red would look more military , I hate getting into a dark vehicle, makes you feel like the battery is dead.

I really like to keep things as original as possible, but I guess additional lighting could have been a field modification.
Military didn’t order them for a cost issue most likely.
Maybe a tactical or parts stocking reason also.

I just wired it into the power supply for my engine/trans gauges.
About 15” of 18ga wire.
Super easy.
The LED bulb draws almost nothing.

If you rotate the headlight switch all the way to the left, your passenger floor light will come on.
It’s not much, but better than nothing.

As far as a light coming on when you open the door?
I haven’t a clue what the civilian truck had from that year and if it could be adapted to a CUCV.

EDIT:
Using a Red, Amber or even Green bulb would be fine, but not sure how those colors would affect the fluorescent orange on the position indicator itself.
The white is fine for me and isn’t distracting at all.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That explains a lot ! I always "assumed" my light connections where bad ! My civilian trucks work fine but my CUCV never worked.
I thought the same thing until I had it apart one day.

Hardest part was finding a light socket.
The one I used works great. Nice and tight
But still unclear if it’s the “officially” correct GM part number.
It’s working perfect.

A regular 194 bulb would get really hot in such a confined space.
Cooking the plastic around it and burning out sooner than expected.
LED is perfect for that.

rustystud

Military didn’t order them for a cost issue most likely.
Maybe a tactical or parts stocking reason also.

I just wired it into the power supply for my engine/trans gauges.
About 15” of 18ga wire.
Super easy.
The LED bulb draws almost nothing.

If you rotate the headlight switch all the way to the left, your passenger floor light will come on.
It’s not much, but better than nothing.

As far as a light coming on when you open the door?
I haven’t a clue what the civilian truck had from that year and if it could be adapted to a CUCV.

EDIT:
Using a Red, Amber or even Green bulb would be fine, but not sure how those colors would affect the fluorescent orange on the position indicator itself.
The white is fine for me and isn’t distracting at all.
Civilian models had the cab light above the rear window and the floor lights. At least we have the floor lights.
I was thinking about adding a cab light at one time. To much trouble trying to run a wire through the cab walls.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Civilian models had the cab light above the rear window and the floor lights. At least we have the floor lights.
I was thinking about adding a cab light at one time. To much trouble trying to run a wire through the cab walls.
Yes, now I remember.
Agree a huge pain to wire that light.
Not worth the effort.

For those who want to remain tactical, LED lighting doesn’t show up very well with night vision equipment (NVGs).
I fly with a set of ANVIS 9 NVGs and sometimes those towers with led lighting are hard to see.

BUGOUT2

I got the front bumper, front and rear axles from a M1009 and I got the rear bumper from a M1008 also have Humvee wheels and tires for it.

I am in the process of building the front bumper grill guard winch carrier.

Swfb

My m1008 has problems whit the blinkers in combintion with the regular lights.
When the lights are on, and the blinkers are used all the lights are flashing. Verry lightely but they are flashing.

I cleaned the 2 grounds above the headlights. Also the ground on top of the frame at the battery side. The grounds connected to the battery.
The ground on top of the frame close to the rear bumper.
The 2 grounds located behind the taillights. And even swapped the complete taillights and wiring.

Changed the 2 front blinker bulbs and non of this solves the problem.

Not sure where to look next I hope one of you can advise me what would be the next point to check
Changed the headlight switch and changed a melting fuse in a aditional wire that had been added by the previous owner.

The wire is in to bypass the key. I'll restore it after it passes the anual inspection.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After more than 5000 miles on the MVPA TMC19 Lincoln Highway Convoy, changed oil, oil filter, fuel filter, rotated tires, greased all zerk fittings and replaced the rubber flex line at the transmission.
Truck ran great and I only had one issue with a weeping #7 injector return line. Cut 3/8" off at the injector and reinstalled the line. No more leaking after that.

Attachments

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After more than 5000 miles on the MVPA TMC19 Lincoln Highway Convoy, changed oil, oil filter, fuel filter, rotated tires, greased all zerk fittings and replaced the rubber flex line at the transmission.
Truck ran great and I only had one issue with a weeping #7 injector return line. Cut 3/8" off at the injector and reinstalled the line. No more leaking after that.
CUCV and trailer looks like a candidate for MV of the month to me.

rustystud

I never heard of the "MVPA TMC19 Lincoln Highway Convoy" . Where was this at ? Looks like a desert area.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks