• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been really busy starting my own company. Long story short: The company I worked for decided to stop with the part I was responsible for. Too continue on my own I had to get a contract from local government... I did not get it and stayed with the the company I was working for. After about 3 weeks I got a call, the company that did get the contract couldn't handle it. So since about half way February I've been busy setting up my company, finding employees, fabricating materials, etc. and meanwhile working for my employer AND helping out the company that couldn't handle it until I was ready myself.

All this time I did not have time to work on my truck, but fortunately now, 6 weeks in, things are running smoothly and I'm starting to have some spare time again! Last week I got the 6.2 out of what's left of my truck and started on getting the rear axle and suspension off. I think I might have to torch the bushings out of the leaves...

IMG_20190508_165009.jpgIMG-20190514-WA0000.jpg

I needed some gaskets for the 6.5 and while I was at it I ordered Energy Suspension mounts for the body, engine and transmission to add to my parts collection.

IMG_20190514_154448.jpg

cucvrus

Nice job. I would torch out the spring bushing bolts in a heartbeat. You can clean the springs and repaint them or replace them. But you can also add the Energy Suspension spring bushings, sway bar bushings, shackle bushings to the list. Also get the Prothane Big Block radiator isolators. Keep moving along. If I were closer I would stop by and check it out. But my boat wouldn't cross the big pond even on a good day. Good Luck. keep up posted. I would start a thread on your rebuild. I am dragging my feet due to heavy rain the past week. The sun is shining brightly today. Never know what I can get completed. Thank you for sharing. I do everything the hard way also. Gets it done on a budget.

Another Ahab

I So since about half way February I've been busy setting up my company, finding employees, fabricating materials, etc. and meanwhile working for my employer AND helping out the company that couldn't handle it until I was ready myself.
All this time I did not have time to work on my truck, but fortunately now, 6 weeks in, things are running smoothly and I'm starting to have some spare time again!
Only (6) weeks of ALL that, and smooth running?!

- Kudos, that is a tall order and you "done good"!

I can't get my act together to save my life (but I did bump my head once when I was a kid, that's my excuse anyway).

Well done, Rutjes!

An echo here to cucvrus, like he says: Good Luck!!

Last edited:

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice job. I would torch out the spring bushing bolts in a heartbeat. You can clean the springs and repaint them or replace them. But you can also add the Energy Suspension spring bushings, sway bar bushings, shackle bushings to the list. Also get the Prothane Big Block radiator isolators. Keep moving along. If I were closer I would stop by and check it out. But my boat wouldn't cross the big pond even on a good day. Good Luck. keep up posted. I would start a thread on your rebuild. I am dragging my feet due to heavy rain the past week. The sun is shining brightly today. Never know what I can get completed. Thank you for sharing. I do everything the hard way also. Gets it done on a budget.
I need to get me a torch :grin: The ORD kit came with (greasable) bushings. Forgot about radiator isolators, thanks for mentioning. You are more then welcome to come by and check it out haha!

I probably should start a rebuild thread. Maybe put everything I've posted so far in there as well...

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found I had the opportunity to replace my heater core. Of course I broke off 2 of the bolts at the plastic housing. It's back up and running with no leaks and a repaired plastic housing. I'm not sure if I can see the difference in heat living in So Cal but at least the passenger's feet won't be wet.

Another Ahab

Found I had the opportunity to replace my heater core. Of course I broke off 2 of the bolts at the plastic housing. It's back up and running with no leaks and a repaired plastic housing. I'm not sure if I can see the difference in heat living in So Cal but at least the passenger's feet won't be wet.
That's a given; no good deed can go unpunished!

Keith_J

Had an idle speed rattling noise, thought it was torque converter bolts or flex plate falling apart..luckily it was just the starter heat shield. A five minute fix turned into a two hour exploratory wrench spinning exercise. Now to change the oil.

chevymike

Finally got a little time on my "new to me" M1010. First thing was to do the "doghead" starter relay upgrade. It was nice to find it had already been done. Sweet. Next up, ditching the glow plug resister bank and moving it to 12v system. Checked that off. It was getting late so the last thing was installing the new wiper blades. Good start for a couple hours of work. Still got lots of stuff to do. :)

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Red Cross amateur radio communications demonstration and exercise.
nice.

being the 'radio guy' had its perks.. heh.

let one little thing go wrong and it goes from 'why can't you do this? ' to 'what can we do to help you?'

oh the stories I could tell... like one officer came in 'radio will rx but not tx'... I go out there and he had taken off his VHF 5/8 and swapped it for an 800 Mhz 1/4 wave... becuase a county to the north had migrated to a trunked system and he though the antennas looked cool... 😂

Here's your sign, sir.... you're responsible for the new countywide memo saying not to touch anything radio related... 😂 😂

about your setup.... longwire with tuner or band specific dipole?

Last edited:

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The antenna was a 90' (each leg) dipole fed with open wire line. Tuned with a B&W VS1500A coupled to a IC7300 and Ten Tec 500 watt PA.

Worked great on 80 and 40 meters.

Customers and antennas do not get along, it is amazing what they can do to make them cease functioning.

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

oh the stories I could tell... like one officer came in 'radio will rx but not tx'... I go out there and he had taken off his VHF 5/8 and swapped it for an 800 Mhz 1/4 wave... becuase a county to the north had migrated to a trunked system and he though the antennas looked cool...
Customers and antennas do not get along, it is amazing what they can do to make them cease functioning.
Hee hee! :mrgreen: I could not agree more. I have a few stories like that from my days of installing, including one very similar to Techo's.

I think my favorite was the fault of a competitor. I had had a few brushes with him here and there, or rather, with his 'work'. (We were both freelancers at the time.) I went to install a phone for a minor celebrity and the salesman insisted on the antenna being installed "the way Dave does it". He even brought the antenna, and had convinced the customer (before I was ever involved) that it would be the perfect fit. It was an elevated feed 800 MHz and he wanted installed in this convertible Corvette behind the luggage area behind the seats. (Mid 80s) Turns out if you bend the actual antenna at a sharp right angle just above the elevated feed, you can lay the body of the feed down under the carpet with the antenna pointing straight up, hidden behind the carpet on the back wall. It just fit. A little duct tape to make sure it doesn't fall over, and you're good to go! "Dave does this for me all the time!".

Wonderful.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
English please!
90 feet of wire on each side of the center insulator.
Open wire, ladder type feed line from the antenna tuner to the center of the antenna.

Barker and Williamson high power antenna tuner (VS1500A) with an Icom IC7300 HF radio connected to a Ten Tec 500 watt Hercules mobile power amplifier.

Copy that?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
90 feet of wire on each side of the center insulator.
Open wire, ladder type feed line from the antenna tuner to the center of the antenna.

Barker and Williamson high power antenna tuner (VS1500A) with an Icom IC7300 HF radio connected to a Ten Tec 500 watt Hercules mobile power amplifier.

Copy that?
Yes with much laughter!

chevymike

Couple more available hours so I swapped out the original glow plugs with a set of Kennedy Diesel glow plugs. It did require me to replace all of the plug ends with 1/4" connectors. On to the next project.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks