• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Garagefull

I didn't install the lift,my father did.He purchased this 1031 after he retired after 40 years.He had a stroke within a few hours of installing the lift.Didnt even get to drive it.Was funny,had him in the barn one day..he kicked the truck and accused it of bringing on the stroke lol..he left the truck to me because I started my family's addiction to military trucks after locating a m715 in our area.Within months,we had 2 barns full...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 751688

Your Chevy will break out in hives! The transplant rejection could be fatal!

:mrgreen:
It's only a 241. Generous Motors used them too. The joy of the Dodge case is the fact that it has a fixed rear yoke. Can run without the rear driveshaft.

Open any dictionary, to the Ds. You will find a word with definition "to avoid". That word is Dodge
I agree. Fortunately, the transmission being New Venture Gear is only part Dodge. Since New Process made the case, I guess it's close enough, it was a Chrysler company. I still hold hope that it will be a good combo.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced the broken and rusty tailgate cables with new.

Took me a minute to figure out the springs, but it is obvious one you look at them.

Attachments

Keith_J

Flushed the cooling system. Used Blue Devil which can be left in 3-5 days so hoping for no freezing weather. There is some debris on the tube ends so hopefully this elixir will clean the nasties. No oil, minimal rust. I replaced the o-rings on the engine oil cooler lines, no leaks so far.

rustystud

It's only a 241. Generous Motors used them too. The joy of the Dodge case is the fact that it has a fixed rear yoke. Can run without the rear driveshaft.

I agree. Fortunately, the transmission being New Venture Gear is only part Dodge. Since New Process made the case, I guess it's close enough, it was a Chrysler company. I still hold hope that it will be a good combo.
This sounds like you'll have a real good hi-way rig ! The NP241 isn't that bad of a transfer-case, and the NV4500 is a pretty good transmission. Not as strong as that SM465 your replacing, but strong enough.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This sounds like you'll have a real good hi-way rig ! The NP241 isn't that bad of a transfer-case, and the NV4500 is a pretty good transmission. Not as strong as that SM465 your replacing, but strong enough.
That's what I'm figuring. The truck tows very little, barely has enough power to hurt itself so the 4500 should be okay. As long as I keep everything tight, the 241 should survive as well. I haven't measured the length difference but either way, I'll mothball the original driveshafts in case the 465 goes back in.

Kaiser67M715

That's what I'm figuring. The truck tows very little, barely has enough power to hurt itself so the 4500 should be okay. As long as I keep everything tight, the 241 should survive as well. I haven't measured the length difference but either way, I'll mothball the original driveshafts in case the 465 goes back in.
I think you said Dodge NV4500? If so you may want to verify it has the upgraded fifth gear nut. While it tends to be a problem only on the HD 4500 (with the larger input, used behind Cummins motors) all the Dodge 4500 had incorrect spline geometry on the fifth gear, causing walking and eventual loss of fifth gear retaining nut.

The dodge has the higher first, and with my truck, (3.42 axle gearing) I really don't use it that much, but second is also higher, to reduce the second to third split. Mine is the GM mid version (smaller input bearing retainer, no synchro reverse, but gear ratios are same as dodge and later GM) with my use, I really should have waited for the early super low first.

The 241 is as strong as the np208, whether the Dodge or GM 88-91 square body version.

The nv4500, without an adapter plate is 1/4" longer max. I think machining makes up the differences, because mine was spot on same length as the SM465 I replaced. Although I have seen some photos online where the cases are up to 1/4" off.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brought the 6.5 inside. It sits in the living room now (house isn't habitable yet :D).

IMG_20181225_153011.jpg

Right now, I've set my mind on keeping the CUCV belt system. Removed alternators, power steering pump and brackets from the 6.2. Found one broken bracket.

IMG_20181225_151851.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you said Dodge NV4500? If so you may want to verify it has the upgraded fifth gear nut. While it tends to be a problem only on the HD 4500 (with the larger input, used behind Cummins motors) all the Dodge 4500 had incorrect spline geometry on the fifth gear, causing walking and eventual loss of fifth gear retaining nut.

The dodge has the higher first, and with my truck, (3.42 axle gearing) I really don't use it that much, but second is also higher, to reduce the second to third split. Mine is the GM mid version (smaller input bearing retainer, no synchro reverse, but gear ratios are same as dodge and later GM) with my use, I really should have waited for the early super low first.

The 241 is as strong as the np208, whether the Dodge or GM 88-91 square body version.

The nv4500, without an adapter plate is 1/4" longer max. I think machining makes up the differences, because mine was spot on same length as the SM465 I replaced. Although I have seen some photos online where the cases are up to 1/4" off.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
Here are my notes I've compliled. I do have the Dodge gas version. I'm also aware of the 5th gear issue, I need to educate myself a little more on that. This trans and adapter plate were more/less a gift from Microjeep. I think it will be perfect for my truck with 4.10 cogs.

NV4500 12.375"
Dodge tailhousing. 6.25"
GM tailhousing 8.125"
AA adapter 712550 .875"
Gearing: GM/Dodge
6.34, 3.44, 1.71, 1, .73, R 6.34
5.61, 3.04, 1.67, 1, .74, R 5.61
OAL12.375+6.25+.875=19.5

SM465 12"
Adapter 8.5"
6.54, 3.58, 1.57, 1-1
OAL 20.5

Last edited:

TGP (IL)

Like to see a pic of that. Considering one for my junk.
I knew I should have taken Pic's.
The pic's are courtesy Sharecroppers old post and fit and look exactly like mine.

Mine is the one shot of it half rolled because it warmed here and I don't want to take it off.
Rolling it half way up should be fine and allow enough air flow until spring and it comes off.
Also turning colder here Friday so all that is needed is to bring back down and tuck back in
Behind the bumper.

It is Green (OD) not brown the pic's suggest.
The last picture is the backside.

I was concerned about no opening like on the deuce front and my other diesel fronts that I
Considered taking to the local upholstery shop and having one cut in with zippers, but after
Figuring the roll up out and pinching it with the closed hood, should be fine.

It was worth every penny it cost with the added mounting hardware which I would have had to
Source locally.

Took me fifteen minutes to remove the three screws and swap with the buttons and drill two
Holes for the twist locks.
Tom

Thanks to the use of Sharecropper's Pictures.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks