• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Customers and antennas do not get along, it is amazing what they can do to make them cease functioning.
'My portable doesn't work'

*hands radio with antenna cut off*

What happened?

'The antenna was too long and kept poking me in the armpit, so I cut it like the old ones'

(They had recently replaced VHF stubby 'dummy loads' with wideband 1/4 wave)

MarcusOReallyus

When did copy become a term used when nothing is written? :mrgreen:
When people started giving instructions over the radio that people were expected to write down. ;)

You know, back in the days when people used paper and pencil to write things down!

You might remember hearing about in history class. :mrgreen:

Abbylind

Some of the Security Police at Manzano Base used to slam the rubber ducky antenna on their walkies in a car door and stretch them out to long wires.......
These were the same guys who were guarding the military nuclear cache...

cucvrus

I am assuming that this does not have the stock bed on it. Or if it does that is an unusual place for a Robin to nest. I always have them on steering tires of truck chassis. Up under the front fender. Smart bird. I have Doves nest 2 feet from the air compressor every year. They set on the nest while the compressor is pumping away. Never move. Good Luck with your fledglings.

Another Ahab

I am assuming that this does not have the stock bed on it. Or if it does that is an unusual place for a Robin to nest. I always have them on steering tires of truck chassis. Up under the front fender. Smart bird. I have Doves nest 2 feet from the air compressor every year. They set on the nest while the compressor is pumping away. Never move. Good Luck with your fledglings.
Now there's a man who knows his bird, nice call, cucvrus.

And congratulations, FrankenCub, you're going to be a father!

FrankenCub

Stock bed but definitely an unusual place to nest. It's the forward spring perch. I didn't see it there a few days ago when I went to pick up a finish mower for my tractor and haven't noticed mother Robin being near the truck. I'm hoping I'm just not seeing her. Will be checking tonight when it gets dark to see if she's returned. She may have nested last week, there's usually 3 eggs in a Robin's nest from what I've seen, only one in there now so the others may have been tossed going down the road.
Now there's a man who knows his bird, nice call, cucvrus.

And congratulations, FrankenCub, you're going to be a father!
Maybe, I'm hoping this one wasn't aborted.

WECSOG

Replaced the felt in the glass tracks on my M1009's tailgate and also replaced the rubber window wipes. Lubed the rear glass regulator while I had the cover off.

I never want to do the tailgate glass window wipes again. They were a real pain. I also replaced the missing rubber "bumper" which stops the window from hitting metal at the bottom of the tailgate.

cucvrus

Replaced the felt in the glass tracks on my M1009's tailgate and also replaced the rubber window wipes. Lubed the rear glass regulator while I had the cover off.

I never want to do the tailgate glass window wipes again. They were a real pain. I also replaced the missing rubber "bumper" which stops the window from hitting metal at the bottom of the tailgate.
\

Very good. I applaud your experience. If you master the rear gate system you are a true CUCV mechanic. I seldom see any gates that are 100% functional. I say it is all in proper maintenance. I have a gate at my house right now that is FUBAR. I will be working on that. I use brush seals in addition to the stock brittle outside window wiper. But only on ones that it don't matter on. I still have 2 new GM M1009 gates in the GM boxes and have been fixing every gate I can get my hands on. I have a few spares and a few tricks for replacing the side run felts in the gate. Good Show. I hope you used grease and oil. Spray lubrications on the rear gate moving parts are a waste of time.

cucvrus

Yes Sir. Oil and grease are the only true lubricants on hinges and moving parts. These old trucks have many oil and grease moving parts. I get the oil camn oout all the time. I had a barn door that closed hard and opened hard. I kept hearing about it from Mrs. I went up and looked at it and walkd back and retrieved the squirt oil can. A few squirts of Lubri-plate and that door was swinging free. CUCV Door hinges, Gate hinges, Everything that moves needs oil and grease. Most of the rear lower gate hinges are seized. I remove them put them in a vise and heat the hinge and get them to flop back and forth under their own weight. Makes a world of difference in opening and closing the gate. The alignment steel on the gate when aligned and greased will amaze you how well it works. Stops the cracking of the gate upper area also. Have a Great Week.

MarcusOReallyus

INSTEAD of any spray-on (like a WD-40)?
WD-40 is good where you need to displace water. That's it.

I don't use it for a general lubricant. There are many products that are much better. It's pathetic as a penetrating oil, too.

But if you've gotten water into something? WD-40, then once it's all dried out, follow with a good lubricant.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks