• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

FrankenCub

Haven't drivin my 08 in a while seems the tires are shot but I did take it a few miles away to look over a trailer that someone put up for sale. Everything looked M101A1, but something just didn't look right to me. Three hours searching pictures and it finally clicked. It's an earlier M101, has different parking brake handles. No wonder it looked odd. No one was there to talk to so no idea what they are asking for it, not sure I want to know. Has a new cover, wiring looks new, and looks like they put a lot of time into it. Probably gonna want $$$$ for it.
Also found I have an injector line leaking at an injector. I have the seal kit for the injectors already, looks like I'll be buying lines now too.

WECSOG

\
Very good. I applaud your experience. If you master the rear gate system you are a true CUCV mechanic. I seldom see any gates that are 100% functional. I say it is all in proper maintenance. I have a gate at my house right now that is FUBAR. I will be working on that. I use brush seals in addition to the stock brittle outside window wiper. But only on ones that it don't matter on. I still have 2 new GM M1009 gates in the GM boxes and have been fixing every gate I can get my hands on. I have a few spares and a few tricks for replacing the side run felts in the gate. Good Show. I hope you used grease and oil. Spray lubrications on the rear gate moving parts are a waste of time.
Oh yeah. Heavy grease on all the teeth and gears of the regulator.

Works like new now!!

dougco1

Haven't drivin my 08 in a while seems the tires are shot but I did take it a few miles away to look over a trailer that someone put up for sale. Everything looked M101A1, but something just didn't look right to me. Three hours searching pictures and it finally clicked. It's an earlier M101, has different parking brake handles. No wonder it looked odd. No one was there to talk to so no idea what they are asking for it, not sure I want to know. Has a new cover, wiring looks new, and looks like they put a lot of time into it. Probably gonna want $$$$ for it.
Also found I have an injector line leaking at an injector. I have the seal kit for the injectors already, looks like I'll be buying lines now too.
Good luck finding new injector lines. I searched hi and low back in 2013 was only able to find 7 of 8 lines. You may find you don't need to replace all your lines. what happens is they tend to crack at the flare nut from years of vibration or overtighting.

cucvrus

Injection pump Spider lines are hard to come by? I did NOT know this. I will keep that in mind as I just scrapped a few 6.2 engines complete. I don't get any calls for them anymore and I don't trust to sell them as operational. Transmissions are in the same boat. Too old to warrant and scrap money beats storage. Thanks for the insight.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Watch eBay.

I found a NOS complete set of GM injector lines on eBay just over a year ago.
Very good price.
Haven't used them yet, but at least I have them.
My spare 6.2L Diesel that’s still in the shipping can also has an undamaged set attached.

Aftermarket lines are available.
At least when I was looking over a year ago.

FrankenCub

Watch eBay.

I found a NOS complete set of GM injector lines on eBay just over a year ago.
Very good price.
Haven't used them yet, but at least I have them.
My spare 6.2L Diesel that’s still in the shipping can also has an undamaged set attached.

Aftermarket lines are available.
At least when I was looking over a year ago.
There's a set on ebay now but they are for the short injectors on later trucks and almost $300 shipped. So far all I've found on other diesel sites are also for newer engines, but they state they can be "tweeked" at the injector end to fit the older engines. I'll venture around a couple junk yards first and see what I can find.

rustystud

Injection pump Spider lines are hard to come by? I did NOT know this. I will keep that in mind as I just scrapped a few 6.2 engines complete. I don't get any calls for them anymore and I don't trust to sell them as operational. Transmissions are in the same boat. Too old to warrant and scrap money beats storage. Thanks for the insight.
Tell me CUCVRUS your haven't sent any TH400 HD transmission cases to the scrapper ? I'll cry if you have !
Those cases are becoming harder then "hens teeth" to find !

cucvrus

Tell me CUCVRUS your haven't sent any TH400 HD transmission cases to the scrapper ? I'll cry if you have !
Those cases are becoming harder then "hens teeth" to find !
Only many many broken ones. They are a very weak design. Back when you could buy a new GM case you could see that they reinforced the tail section and made it stronger. To me that is an admission of error on the manufacturer. I have seen many with the tail section cracked and several that broke the bell housing section from being loose or flywheel flex plates flying apart. I still have a few original CUCV TH400 transmissions that have low mileage. But at 30 + years they are rebuildable cores at this point. And yes HD 400 cases are hard to come by. Have a Great Day. Be Safe.

rustystud

Only many many broken ones. They are a very weak design. Back when you could buy a new GM case you could see that they reinforced the tail section and made it stronger. To me that is an admission of error on the manufacturer. I have seen many with the tail section cracked and several that broke the bell housing section from being loose or flywheel flex plates flying apart. I still have a few original CUCV TH400 transmissions that have low mileage. But at 30 + years they are rebuildable cores at this point. And yes HD 400 cases are hard to come by. Have a Great Day. Be Safe.
Actually the whole case is stronger. I've documented it here before. They (GM) knew they had to beef-up the whole case to handle the stress put on them by the military. Many "racers" found this out years ago and started buying up surplus cases for their "Hot Rods" . Now of course they use the 4L80E or the newer 6L90E transmissions. Though there are still many "bracket" racers who still love the "TH400" transmissions and the really old 2 speed "PowerGlides" . You need many gears just going a 1/4 mile.

my69camaro

1780092_5083_160_0001.jpg
Kinda accidentally bought this on GP this week lol. No one else bid at all which I didn't expect. Sadly shipping is costing me twice the price of the truck:roll: .

Hopefully some rust free cab parts and maybe better axles for my 1008. No transmission or t case.

ddoohhhhh

kallisti5

Been a busy few months now that my M1009 is in a garage.

Replaced drivers door with a spare I had (less body damage, but broken glass I need to replace.)
Replaced upper / lower radiator hoses. Replaced all heat hoses.
Upgraded glow plugs to 60G
Upgraded turn-signal relay to modern 3-pin. LED's blink normal speed and trailers no longer blink slow.

Doghead starter relay mod
starter_mod.jpg

Replaced dash bulbs with LED's (the old wedge bulbs were *really* dim, burnt out, not making contact):
(two packs of these are enough to swap everything: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0186P1MUW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
(LED's break the adjustable brightness though... might need to toss a few resistors in series to increase load a bit)
led0.jpg
led1.jpg

Found a large hole on the firewall which was letting past mice in.
Taped with foil tape and sprayed with rubber coating to try and cut down on noise.

photo_2019-06-22_08-37-00.jpg

While dash was off.. threw some cheap speakers into it.
photo_2019-06-22_08-36-56.jpg

Removed hard top. The thing is in horrible condition, is *really* heavy, and without AC the drive in Texas is a *lot* nicer.
photo_2019-06-22_08-42-30.jpg

photo_2019-06-22_08-36-38.jpg

Think i'm going to sell the hard top and put a soft-top in it.. without the AC that seems to make more sense. So much for keeping her stockish :)

TODO:
* Re-align front wheels.. I swapped one of the steering tie-rod ends and was a bit off with the re-attachment.
* Replace interior door panels.. current ones are starting to fall apart.
* Soft top on back.
* Fix belts, I only had two per the v-belt post.
* Found bracket for starter... It was missing, and (old/new) starters keep sticking. I think they're twisting without it and getting hung up.
* Put a DIY paint-in epoxy bed liner in back... maybe do the whole floor with it into the passenger area.. not sure.
* Replace locking posts on each door.. they're missing the plastic causing the normal "old chevy slam the door three times to close"

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks