• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been a busy few months now that my M1009 is in a garage.

Replaced drivers door with a spare I had (less body damage, but broken glass I need to replace.)
Replaced upper / lower radiator hoses. Replaced all heat hoses.
Upgraded glow plugs to 60G
Upgraded turn-signal relay to modern 3-pin. LED's blink normal speed and trailers no longer blink slow.

Doghead starter relay mod
View attachment 768458

Replaced dash bulbs with LED's (the old wedge bulbs were *really* dim, burnt out, not making contact):
(two packs of these are enough to swap everything: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0186P1MUW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
(LED's break the adjustable brightness though... might need to toss a few resistors in series to increase load a bit)
View attachment 768456
View attachment 768457

Found a large hole on the firewall which was letting past mice in.
Taped with foil tape and sprayed with rubber coating to try and cut down on noise.

View attachment 768459

While dash was off.. threw some cheap speakers into it.
View attachment 768460

Removed hard top. The thing is in horrible condition, is *really* heavy, and without AC the drive in Texas is a *lot* nicer.
View attachment 768461

View attachment 768462

Think i'm going to sell the hard top and put a soft-top in it.. without the AC that seems to make more sense. So much for keeping her stockish :)

TODO:
* Re-align front wheels.. I swapped one of the steering tie-rod ends and was a bit off with the re-attachment.
* Replace interior door panels.. current ones are starting to fall apart.
* Soft top on back.
* Fix belts, I only had two per the v-belt post.
* Found bracket for starter... It was missing, and (old/new) starters keep sticking. I think they're twisting without it and getting hung up.
* Put a DIY paint-in epoxy bed liner in back... maybe do the whole floor with it into the passenger area.. not sure.
* Replace locking posts on each door.. they're missing the plastic causing the normal "old chevy slam the door three times to close"
Keep her rolling! TX without A/C......ahhhh, remember the days.......BDU blouse was white with sweat salt! lol

rustystud

View attachment 768455
Kinda accidentally bought this on GP this week lol. No one else bid at all which I didn't expect. Sadly shipping is costing me twice the price of the truck:roll: .

Hopefully some rust free cab parts and maybe better axles for my 1008. No transmission or t case.

ddoohhhhh

Reminds me of the time I bid on "5" file cabinets and won them for a silly bid. When I got there to pick them up there where over 50 of them !!!!! It was my responsibility to remove them all too ! I just had my pick-up truck. Thankfully there was a metal recycling container close by. I was able to cram in 20 cabinets in my truck using straps and stacking them up. The rest got tossed into the bin.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it ridiculous pricey?[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah. If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it. (Just Kidding!)

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"What have you done to your CUCV lately"

Towed the SOB home!

I drove the 1009 into Austin, I was driving down Hwy 183 and right as I took my exit, the engine just shut down like I'd turned off the key. Tried to let it roll out of the way, but uphill with nowhere to go I ended up in a traffic lane for a while. Fortunately that truck has an amber light bar on it.
An Austin police officer came by and tried to push the truck, but my pintle hitch was hitting the crossbar of his push bumper and was going to damage it, so that didn't work.
I didn't think the 1009 was out of fuel (gauge is totally inaccurate, but I keep a good mileage estimate going), it certainly didn't act like it when it was stopping, but the officer went and got me a couple of gallons of diesel anyway, which he didn't let me pay him back for. Still wouldn't start.
We were getting a good flow of fuel from the filter bleeder, but none from the injector lines. We suspected the fuel shutoff solenoid had failed.
A volunteer fireman then pulled up and asked if I'd like a tow to a parking lot. Yes please!

With the 1009 now out of the street, an off-duty Austin police officer drove me 40 miles back home, where I picked up my 1028 and the tow bar. I dragged the 1009 back to Jason/DrJay's shop without further excitement.

As suspected, the fuel shutoff solenoid had failed in the off position. Replaced it and the truck started right up.
The solenoid was less than three months old, came with my newly rebuilt injection pump. This seems to be a common problem right now, new solenoids failing almost immediately. Jason had one fail in two days! It appears that a bad batch came in from China that the rubber inside of basically starts to dissolve. Several pump rebuilders have ended up with these solenoids.

There is a field-expedient fix bypassing the solenoid to get a truck going for the short term, but for a fat old man on a very hot day, without the proper tools, towing it was a better option!

Cheers

In the pictures, you can see the deterioration of the rubber and all the semi-dissolved goop it was building up inside. The black wad on the table came out of the lower part.

Attachments

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"What have you done to your CUCV lately"

Towed the SOB home!

I drove the 1009 into Austin, I was driving down Hwy 183 and right as I took my exit, the engine just shut down like I'd turned off the key. Tried to let it roll out of the way, but uphill with nowhere to go I ended up in a traffic lane for a while. Fortunately that truck has an amber light bar on it.
An Austin police officer came by and tried to push the truck, but my pintle hitch was hitting the crossbar of his push bumper and was going to damage it, so that didn't work.
I didn't think the 1009 was out of fuel (gauge is totally inaccurate, but I keep a good mileage estimate going), it certainly didn't act like it when it was stopping, but the officer went and got me a couple of gallons of diesel anyway, which he didn't let me pay him back for. Still wouldn't start.
We were getting a good flow of fuel from the filter bleeder, but none from the injector lines. We suspected the fuel shutoff solenoid had failed.
A volunteer fireman then pulled up and asked if I'd like a tow to a parking lot. Yes please!

With the 1009 now out of the street, an off-duty Austin police officer drove me 40 miles back home, where I picked up my 1028 and the tow bar. I dragged the 1009 back to Jason/DrJay's shop without further excitement.

As suspected, the fuel shutoff solenoid had failed in the off position. Replaced it and the truck started right up.
The solenoid was less than three months old, came with my newly rebuilt injection pump. This seems to be a common problem right now, new solenoids failing almost immediately. Jason had one fail in two days! It appears that a bad batch came in from China that the rubber inside of basically starts to dissolve. Several pump rebuilders have ended up with these solenoids.

There is a field-expedient fix bypassing the solenoid to get a truck going for the short term, but for a fat old man on a very hot day, without the proper tools, towing it was a better option!

Cheers

In the pictures, you can see the deterioration of the rubber and all the semi-dissolved goop it was building up inside. The black wad on the table came out of the lower part.

For a field repair, you should have been able to remove the top cover.... 3 - 5/16 bolts IIRC, and removed the plunger.

You'd get it running, but you'd have to pinch off a fuel line to get it to stop... I keep a pair of vice grip locking pliers specifically designed to pinch off lines without damaging them.

https://www.amazon.com/Vise-Grip-RR-7-Inch-Locking-Pinch-Off/dp/B00004SBCE

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For a field repair, you should have been able to remove the top cover....
Yep, but I refer back to -

Even 5 years ago, or maybe on a cooler day, or even if I'd had decent tools with me, I'd have fixed in situ. But advancing antiquity makes that more difficult for me now. Getting older sucks!

Cheers

Volvo740turbo

Within the last month I have installed a new flex plate transmission and converter, new fuel filter and lines, electric pump running directly from a can of clean diesel, I have no fuel coming out of the lines going to the injectors. I have searched but I'm not seeing definitive ways of testing the IP while installed on the truck. Everything related to starting is new including glow plugs. Are there steps set to condemning this pump or am I missing something .. I have 3 days cranking and no start. Before I changed the glow plugs it would start easily on the smallest squirt of ether and now nothing. Does it require actual fuel in the system for the ether to work? It's my understanding that no fuel should not matter and it should still make something happen? I'm not wanting to buy an expensive pump without knowing how to diagnose this one first.

I have a spin on filter, new fuel lines, new glow plugs. It seems when it gets to the IP it stops, is there a way to clean this while installed? I've not had to mess with the IP since I got the trick 12 years ago. Any constructive advice is welcome and thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks