• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

True Knight

I found the binding problem- the 28 year old u-joint with no grease fitting. What a great idea! I'm actually surprised that it lasted that long. Oh well, I'll be replacing it with better ones and cleaning up everything in while I have it all apart.

P.S. I hate the new photo uploader. For some reason it rotates the picture for no reason.

Attachments

85CUCVtom

Put everything back together today. New brakes, hubs, u-joints, spindle bearings, seals, one spindle and bearings.

Drove it home 25 miles and the hubs felt really hot so I think my calipers are stuck somehow. They were really hard to expand when I put new pads on. So I'm gonna do them in the morning.

K9Vic

M1009 project.

Sunday.
1. Harmonic balancer - My puller tool stripped out and was turning the engine over, so I had to use my backup puller. So now I need to buy a new one so I always have a spare. (Perfect example why I have a spare)
2. Rebuilt my one of my alternators, the other was a remanufactured and was OK. I still took it apart to make sure it was OK and clean inside.
3. While I had the the alt. and pulleys out I cleaned the grease and painted the parts black. I found that a nut was missing on the passenger side alt. bracket, so I replaced that. Also made sure all blots on the water pump were tight.
4. Put my starter back in as I had it out checking the flywheel that has broken teeth in random spots.
5. Hosed down the radiator before I put everything back on, it really cleaned out allot of dirt in there.
6. Removed the diode from the horn relay that goes back to the headlight fuse/system. Known problem that can develop that puts too much load on the headlights circuit. With that I also removed the capacitor on the wipers and horn.
7. Took a break and got lunch.
8. cleaned up my mess from working on the truck all day.
9. Made sure everything was all tight and in place and let it run for about an hour. I need to burn off this old fuel and also looked for any leaks.

So I did allot of work on the M1009 today, but still allot more to do on it. Have to get the flywheel replaced, but I have to drive it first to make sure the trans is OK. No point doing that work replacing that if the trans is bad. Something I am nor going to do, mostly because my driveway is not level and too dangerous having it all up on jack stands. So I will have my mechanic do that work.

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Today I fixed the Gen 2 charging issue on my m1028 by taking apart the dash and cleaning all the electrical components; and I fixed the faulty horn button on the m1009.

85CUCVtom

I installed new calipers and checked up on my freshly rebuilt hub. Still gotta do brake hoses on the front and maybe a piece of hard line or two.

hillbillygmc

Routed and wired up the headlights, ran the wires for the new gauges, more body work, some interior work......then took her for the 1st test drive since the rebuild.

ralbelt

I removed my heater core, connected the hoses together with a 3/4 to 5/8 connector so minimal loss of coolant and still can drive it. I will take the core to the local radiator shop and have it rebuilt.

I_Publius

Tried to start my '84 09 with two fresh batteries (Group 31's), new diesel, and new glow plugs. Battery cables starting smoking and I wound up with a small fire somewhere down near the starter. Glad I had my extinguisher with me. Guess it's time to clean every single electrical connection on this machine, tighten them up, and see if I can get her going..again...

And no, she still hasn't turned over...almost, for a second, but then nada. Uggg!

K9Vic

Tried to start my '84 09 with two fresh batteries (Group 31's), new diesel, and new glow plugs. Battery cables starting smoking and I wound up with a small fire somewhere down near the starter. Glad I had my extinguisher with me. Guess it's time to clean every single electrical connection on this machine, tighten them up, and see if I can get her going..again...

And no, she still hasn't turned over...almost, for a second, but then nada. Uggg!
Since your CUCV is 12v, did you connect the batteries in parallel for 12v?

Dmoser

After my Gov lock made an escape attempt from the carrier I got rid of the old carrier and installed a mini spool. Just one small step in its journey to becoming a serious trail rig!

edpdx

My oil cooler lines have been weeping since last Winter. They are shot near the couplers that join the radiator lines. I bought the rubber lines from NAPA. I READ THE TM. The fix looks hard and messy and is only a little of each. Get an oil pan, rags, creeper, box wrenches: 15/16", 3/4", 7/8". Socket wrench: Short 7/16" in 3/8" drive for the clip near the rearward coupler. Long 7/16" for the mid hose clamp.. A headlight and goggles is helpful as you'll want to enter just behind the drivers side front tire.

The aftermarket hoses, as others have pointed out are bent slightly differently where it is critical. Fab a new clamp based on the OEM clamp. Make it out of heavy (16g) sheet metal. Start with a strip about 1 1/4"x7". After installing the new hoses FINGER TIGHT, slip u-shaped piece in place and mark path of tubing, and where bends should be. Fab it on the bench, test fit, and mark where hole should go. Be sure you don't let your new clip hang so far out that it rubs against the shift linkage.

I used tin snips on an old PC steel door- very rigidfab clip.jpg.

ratspawn

I’ve not done much to my beloved 1009 CUCV since recovery almost two years ago, other than starting her up every few weeks. Ya know, that time/money thing. However I have a M101A3 to go pick up so that has motivated me to get my ass in gear and start moving forward with this project already. Starting with lift/tires. Today (yesterday actually) we did a 2.5” lift and 33X12.5” Nitto Trail Grapplers. I like it, although it’s maybe a bit too much. More than I was expecting anyway – I wasn’t going for the “monster truck” look and thought I was being pretty conservative with a 2.5 + 33’s. But I’m growing to really like it, and I think should be a good pintle height for the 101. I’ll attach a couple before and after pics. I know I am new to posting here but I want to thank everyone for such great information on this site. I can’t wait to dive into all the other projects I have planned for this old battle axe.

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg05.jpg

100acre

I recently installed a flex fan so the fan won't rub the radiator when flexing the frame, new belts, added a transmission fluid cooler, had to clean out whole fuel system because bad fuel is bad! Replacing steering column to fix issues with wipers, faulty turn signal and horn and ignition, crazy maddening headache. I also lined the floorboards with "peal and Seal" roofing material to insulate against noise and heat. Gonna try to figure out how to make seat covers out of shelter halves. Also gonna clean up troop carrier wood and maybe replace with mahogany, it is an ex navy cucv. Might try to add some wings and a outer blimp structure to aid when next earth shattering flood hits the world.

chesapeake

I’ve not done much to my beloved 1009 CUCV since recovery almost two years ago, other than starting her up every few weeks. Ya know, that time/money thing. However I have a M101A3 to go pick up so that has motivated me to get my ass in gear and start moving forward with this project already. Starting with lift/tires. Today (yesterday actually) we did a 2.5” lift and 33X12.5” Nitto Trail Grapplers. I like it, although it’s maybe a bit too much. More than I was expecting anyway – I wasn’t going for the “monster truck” look and thought I was being pretty conservative with a 2.5 + 33’s. But I’m growing to really like it, and I think should be a good pintle height for the 101. I’ll attach a couple before and after pics. I know I am new to posting here but I want to thank everyone for such great information on this site. I can’t wait to dive into all the other projects I have planned for this old battle axe.

View attachment 447497View attachment 447498View attachment 447499View attachment 447500View attachment 447501
I ran those Nittos on my jeep. They are great tires. The only issue I had was when it rained and there was standing water, they wanted to hydroplane. That is a good looking rig

twlinks

I like the look, both the lift and the tires. What lift kit did you use...easy/hard, etc.? We always need "details"...or at least it really helps me I know. Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks