• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's great news!!! Run her hard to cleanout the cobwebs.

Next we will work on the a/c

Lild

New plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, ip, starter w/bolts, cleaned all the post & terminals for the electrical. Working on getting new crankshaft pulley, going to get the engine bay cleaned up this weekend, then onto getting the interior cleaned up & painted, a radio,then body & paint work.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulled the transfer case out of the ambulance last Friday for a rebuild. Lots of axial play in the main shaft when I pulled it. Low and behold the case is shot. Tossed it in the can and rebuilt one of my backups. Got it hung and bolted in today. Will tidy things up in the AM.

MilChevyguy, post up when you list that box. I forget whats in there but I'm always looking for odds and ends.

I_Publius

Gave mine a good vacuum today. It was full of rat droppings after having sat for ten years in a West Texas field, plus one remainder of a rat. Nice. ;)
Got her inspected yesterday and then the rear view mirror fell off an hour later. It had disintegrated, so I got a new one and installed her this afternoon.
Finally, the huge purchase...a brand new set of tires. Ugg....but, it's too hot here in Texas to drive around on bad tires, safely.
Oh...and brought her home last night. My wife hasn't thrown me out out, yet, and my young kids love it. Great weekend. :)

I_Publius

Process for Herculiner: what did you fill the holes with? Also, I assume that you have to use a respirator. Correct? What type of sandpaper?

Looks like a professional job!

Process for Herculiner: what did you fill the holes with? Also, I assume that you have to use a respirator. Correct? What type of sandpaper?

Looks like a professional job!
Cover the threaded holes with small pieces of masking tape. Didn't need a respirator. I did the prep outside in the driveway. The Xylene wasn't bad at all, I didn't even smell it. The Herculiner kit comes with a scotch bright pad to scuff up the paint. I used a wire wheel on anything loose. Thanks for the comments.

MilChevyguy

Pulled the starter...24V....and the drive is worn out...that would explain why the shop couldnt start it....SO looked allover the SS forum and no vendor linked has the full rebuild kit in stock with the drive....

What do i do now!!! Im in Canada so the access to used extras is like hens teeth. Pulling apart starter as I type!!!

I_Publius

I would suggest mailing it down here to Texas. I have a local guy who could rebuild that starter in one day that we could ship it back to you.

Might be a bit expensive on the shipping, however.

I hope you can get something figured out locally. :)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went out for my weekly exercise at the local pull-a-part

This followed me home

trans1a.jpgtrans2.jpg

Diesel 700r4, with torque converter, flywheel and the illusive TV bracket. All for under a C-note

Guys get out and get some exercise instead of typing on the keyboard. :mrgreen:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulled the starter...24V....and the drive is worn out...that would explain why the shop couldnt start it....SO looked allover the SS forum and no vendor linked has the full rebuild kit in stock with the drive....

What do i do now!!! Im in Canada so the access to used extras is like hens teeth. Pulling apart starter as I type!!!
www.aspwholesale.com has the 24v kit for both the direct drive and gear reduction. You need to call them and specify 24v.

http://www.aspwholesale.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=5977 - gear reduction

http://www.aspwholesale.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=6174 - direct drive **** just noticed that they are out of stock, you might call as the webpage may not be up todate.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went out for my weekly exercise at the local pull-a-part

This followed me home

View attachment 450542View attachment 450543

Diesel 700r4, with torque converter, flywheel and the illusive TV bracket. All for under a C-note

Guys get out and get some exercise instead of typing on the keyboard. :mrgreen:
I suggest the same. MY last TV bracket was red like yours. Guessing an 82 version. Wrapped up obtaining a set of ford rims as they are wider than the stock CUCV selection. My 255/85R16 tires are on the way. Looks like I'll have fresh rubber for the rally.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct on the 1982. I'm going to swapout the case for a 1989 4x4 version.

MilChevyguy

Thanks Warthog...that is the first place I hit after searching all the leads and links on the forum!!!

Even fleabay and Gooble to see if any other vendors will mail to Canada.

So far no luck but will call ASP on Monday...crossing fingers...I need to get my ride rolling before the snow flies again (really just want it out of the garage again)

Took the starter apart and for sure the drive is worn REALLY bad....and the flywheel is looking a bit shabby too...(hint hint...someone just got one from a Pull-a-part:?)

www.aspwholesale.com has the 24v kit for both the direct drive and gear reduction. You need to call them and specify 24v.

http://www.aspwholesale.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=5977 - gear reduction

http://www.aspwholesale.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=6174 - direct drive **** just noticed that they are out of stock, you might call as the webpage may not be up todate.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What starter do you have. The fat direct drive or the skinny gear reduction?

MilChevyguy

Its the big fat direct drive....original one in this truck by the looks of everything...still 24V with the proper GM support bracket.
Seems it was just wear from use, it was fine till I had the desiel leak make everything slippery and that is when the starter started to slip and grind.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks