• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

acthomp781

DSCN2519.jpgHello all. I finally got my fuel filter base installed and no leaks. Installed a new Trombetta glow plug relay and my M1009 starts like it should. I got the truck 2 months ago and I am going to change the 12v system back to 24v. I wanted to get the fuel system and glow plug issues solved first so I can drive the truck.

Last edited:

Volvo740turbo

Today I kicked my truck, it's having some sort of fuel delivery issue that's intermittent it's full of fuel and for some reason it bogs and shakes every once in awhile and then it will be fine I thought it was air in the lines but I'm pretty sure that's not what it is any suggestions would help maybe the fuel pump is going bad?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put a can of Seafoam in the fuel tank and see if that helps.
More times than not it does.

I would also change the fuel filter.
You never know what junk was in the tank.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put a can of Seafoam in the fuel tank and see if that helps.
More times than not it does.

I would also change the fuel filter.
You never know what junk was in the tank.
I would check and see if Seafoam still advertises it for diesel... I believe there was an issue...

Might be a coincidence but I toasted an IP shortly after adding seafoam....and I'm not the only one...

May be coincidental, or they were on their way out and I just expedited the process, but more than a couple people have complained..

Last edited:

iacucv

Well... Not today but I decided rather than buy a new daily driver truck I was going to build my m1009 to be my daily driver. Not only that, but drive from nw Iowa to central North Dakota for a hunting trip, in about 40 days (now 16). So far I've replaced all springs, shocks, steering stabilizer, alignment and new ball joints pass side, new locking hubs. Driveline wise I still have diff oil and other fluids to change, other than that feeling good. All new belts, Doghead mod, and resistor bypass. Also put in new ac60Gs and backed it up with a new GP solenoid and GP card from Antennaclimber. Body part of it, I temp patched the floor pan and added a good bit of sound insulation in the doors when I put a complete weatherstrip kit in the truck. Last night I met up with an old friend that has a tire shop. Put a new set of 33x12.50r15s on the stock steelies. No rub yet, intentionally took the rough exit in reverse. Far better than the interco garbage 31s that were on it when I purchased the truck. Much quieter and fill out the wheel wells much better. Wheeling hard may cause some rub but isn't really in my forecast.

left to do - trans cooler if I get time, temp guage installed, and replacing all the rubber brake parts including wheel cylinders and calipers. Anything anyone else would suggest I'm all ears. It made it home after I bought it 8 hrs one way, but middle of nodak.... Not a lot of parts stores!

rustystud

Your welcome.
Yes, thanks again. I honestly couldn't believe how much noise it made from what was in the end, a simple problem. I may end up having more issues down the road from the lack of fluid getting to the pump for that short while but for now it feels really good.

I as well am glad it was simple. The pain in the ass part for me was me being stressed out wondering if I'm gonna need a new tranny or now. I'm not generally an auto guy, I don't like 'em so that kinda adds to it. I can't believe the PO could have found something even a bit more suitable to use as a spacer. Even a piece of pipe and hacksaw would have done it. Easy for me with micrometer and lathe to make a good one that fits like GM should have used in it. And I do know it wont go anywhere. The magnet was still there, actually a bit surprised lol.
PO fixes, well....been through a bunch of them already unfortunately and I'm sure I'll find more before I'm done. Everything from cobbed together exhaust to frigged up axle shaft that I have yet to replace. Also non working horn and BO switches missing, and noticed today the front axle pinion bearing is loose :-([/QUOTE]

Just hang in there. Like Tinstar said "tackle one thing at a time" . People have asked me in the past how I can work on automatic transmissions and engines and such without getting overwhelmed. I tell them "I take it one piece at a time". Then one sub-assembly then the whole assembly. Eventually it all gets done.

Volvo740turbo

How are you "pretty sure" you don't have an air leak? Do you have clear fuel line on your return so you can see bubbles?
I did some reading up on the fuel cutoff solenoid I pulled the wires and scrub the contact clean and it seems to be running fine again it runs excellent most of the time and then crappy every once in awhile up until this point I'm going to see if cleaning the contacts help at all does anyone have experience having done this to remedy a problem?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks