• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure it does. If you change the fuel tank.
Really?!
Ok

Water in the tank, install new tank.
Wait a year or two, or less, more water in new tank. Install another tank.
Repeat as necessary.

Totally unnecessary with correct additive.
But if someone wants to do that, knock yourself out.

Most guys on here knew what I meant.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really?!
Ok

Water in the tank, install new tank.
Wait a year or two, or less, more water in new tank. Install another tank.
Repeat as necessary.

Totally unnecessary with correct additive.
But if someone wants to do that, knock yourself out.

Most guys on here knew what I meant.
So did I. But that didn't keep me from pointing out the obvious.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, about my Rusty-imitation and what happened. The plan for the day was to move some dirt using the M1008 and dump trailer, which is not uncommon.
By the fourth load or so I had already thought (again) about that it'd be a very good thing to put a brake control in the M1008, and how nice it would be to have a sliding rear window.
DSCN0656[1].jpgThings began unraveling with about the fifth load. The first thing that happened was that the brake pedal went to the floor as I was backing down a mild slope, maybe 4-5%. Thankfully the light on the dash came on, so I knew it wasn't that the passenger door was ajar, but indeed the brakes. Not sure how mankind got along before warning lights and dingers.
Anyway, you may have noticed that the landing gear is down in the photo. That's because the trailer was a bit optimistically loaded and wouldn't dump. Well, by lifting the front a bit it could serve two purposes; free up the M1008 to go take a look at the brake situation, and possibly make the trailer dump.

Drove to the garage, got some DOT 5 and...both reservoirs were full. Tried the brakes again, and they worked. Strange. Okay, one down, one to go.
Luckily the minute amount the front of the trailer was raised did make it raise the bed, so much of the load came out. Of course, the resulting weight shift lifted the front quite a bit, and the trailer had to be pulled forward to regain some tongue weight. (I've had the entire setup start going downhill when the weight shifted and lifted the rear of the M1008).

After some fiddling around, the coupler was at about the right height, so it was time to reconnect. For some reason the brakes stopped cooperating again, so it was with shifting the trans that I got the ball under the coupler...except that they just hit a tiny bit.DSCN0658[1].jpg
Well, that was enough to get more dirt to start coming out, which forced the trailer uphill(!) and forward. With an inside mirror I might've seen it coming, but my first clue was a bang (as the tank got hit) then a glass shower.

Yep, this dented the tank pretty good, and bent the brackets. And gave me more incentive to get that sliding rear window. Also on the positive side, this will allow pulling the back of the cab below the window a bit straighter. When I got this M1008 the bed was up against the back of the cab, and I was surprised about how much glass can bend.

And the story almost ended there. Somehow the coupler never did get locked correctly after this little ordeal, so when dumping the next load the trailer's front came up again. But this time I was paying attention.
Now the problem was getting the coupler back down, and after more fiddling I got the safety chain to just barely reach the pintle hook I luckily installed not long ago. A simple pull and the nose came down enough to connect things and go for the next load. DSCN0661[1].jpg

It's a lot noisier without a rear window. May have to lube the trailer ball and fix the exhaust now.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, that shower of glass is not fun ! It also takes forever to clean-up ! I'm still seeing glass in the truck and the driveway where I tried to clean the truck out.
I know the feeling. I still hadn't got rid of all the glass from the busted side windows, which is how this came when I got it some 15 years ago.

Volvo740turbo

So, about my Rusty-imitation and what happened. The plan for the day was to move some dirt using the M1008 and dump trailer, which is not uncommon.
By the fourth load or so I had already thought (again) about that it'd be a very good thing to put a brake control in the M1008, and how nice it would be to have a sliding rear window.
View attachment 695581Things began unraveling with about the fifth load. The first thing that happened was that the brake pedal went to the floor as I was backing down a mild slope, maybe 4-5%. Thankfully the light on the dash came on, so I knew it wasn't that the passenger door was ajar, but indeed the brakes. Not sure how mankind got along before warning lights and dingers.
Anyway, you may have noticed that the landing gear is down in the photo. That's because the trailer was a bit optimistically loaded and wouldn't dump. Well, by lifting the front a bit it could serve two purposes; free up the M1008 to go take a look at the brake situation, and possibly make the trailer dump.

Drove to the garage, got some DOT 5 and...both reservoirs were full. Tried the brakes again, and they worked. Strange. Okay, one down, one to go.
Luckily the minute amount the front of the trailer was raised did make it raise the bed, so much of the load came out. Of course, the resulting weight shift lifted the front quite a bit, and the trailer had to be pulled forward to regain some tongue weight. (I've had the entire setup start going downhill when the weight shifted and lifted the rear of the M1008).

After some fiddling around, the coupler was at about the right height, so it was time to reconnect. For some reason the brakes stopped cooperating again, so it was with shifting the trans that I got the ball under the coupler...except that they just hit a tiny bit.View attachment 695591
Well, that was enough to get more dirt to start coming out, which forced the trailer uphill(!) and forward. With an inside mirror I might've seen it coming, but my first clue was a bang (as the tank got hit) then a glass shower.

Yep, this dented the tank pretty good, and bent the brackets. And gave me more incentive to get that sliding rear window. Also on the positive side, this will allow pulling the back of the cab below the window a bit straighter. When I got this M1008 the bed was up against the back of the cab, and I was surprised about how much glass can bend.

And the story almost ended there. Somehow the coupler never did get locked correctly after this little ordeal, so when dumping the next load the trailer's front came up again. But this time I was paying attention.
Now the problem was getting the coupler back down, and after more fiddling I got the safety chain to just barely reach the pintle hook I luckily installed not long ago. A simple pull and the nose came down enough to connect things and go for the next load. View attachment 695597

It's a lot noisier without a rear window. May have to lube the trailer ball and fix the exhaust now.
**** that sucks

Volvo740turbo

Tried to change my spin on fuel filter today and I thought I could remove it without a strap....wrong...i checked the rubber lines on the base and noticed I could rotate the lines in the fittings while clamped down...wrong...bought some new clamps got the charger out and cranked till the truck wpuld run...took a 10 mile drive for my first delivery...my second one it does leaving the parking lot....i sprayed it with a bunch of wd40 and eventually it fired up so I jumped in my other car and took my run while the truck sat at idle in the lot...came back and the truck stalled while I was gone....wd40 got it going again and I'm letting it stay at idle maybe all the air wasn't pushed out that I created within the ten miles I drove it?

cucvrus

View attachment 695581Things began unraveling with about the fifth load. The first thing that happened was that the brake pedal went to the floor as I was backing down a mild slope, maybe 4-5%. Thankfully the light on the dash came on, so I knew it wasn't that the passenger door was ajar, but indeed the brakes. Not sure how mankind got along before warning lights and dingers.

After some fiddling around, the coupler was at about the right height, so it was time to reconnect. For some reason the brakes stopped cooperating again, so it was with shifting the trans that I got the ball under the coupler...except that they just hit a tiny bit.View attachment 695591

Now the problem was getting the coupler back down, and after more fiddling I got the safety chain to just barely reach the pintle hook I luckily installed not long ago. A simple pull and the nose came down enough to connect things and go for the next load. View attachment 695597

I am NOT so sure I would even pull that trailer empty from that frame flange mount you have there. That looks like an accident looking for a place to happen. Be careful. Without a headache rack mounted the next load of dirt may come right thru that tin can cab and still keep going. That design needs some upgrading. At least with a bed the frame will get some structural strength and a steel plate bolted thru all 4 front frame bolts and the bed will give it much more strength then a piece of channel welded to the frame flanges. WOW. That was close. Safety in mind on this job. Same as the rear. With no rear bumper and no braces you have lost a lot of strength in the frame and truck. Do as you wish. Not my truck. Just trying to help.

gottaluvit

This is why I keep a spare filter in the truck box...with tools...and belts...and other random parts.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Filter filled with fuel, replaced, replumbed, back on the road. When I first got this truck it never left the driveway without a large box of tools. This truck has been so reliable that I just quit carrying them after about a year. Now, two years later it has me putting the tools in again over a defective filter. At least she still shows her reliability better than Wix.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am NOT so sure I would even pull that trailer empty from that frame flange mount you have there. That looks like an accident looking for a place to happen. Be careful. Without a headache rack mounted the next load of dirt may come right thru that tin can cab and still keep going. That design needs some upgrading. At least with a bed the frame will get some structural strength and a steel plate bolted thru all 4 front frame bolts and the bed will give it much more strength then a piece of channel welded to the frame flanges. WOW. That was close. Safety in mind on this job. Same as the rear. With no rear bumper and no braces you have lost a lot of strength in the frame and truck. Do as you wish. Not my truck. Just trying to help.
A headache rack sure wouldn't hurt, but that mount isn't as bad as you may think. It's not channel, but 1/4-inch wall, 4-inch square tubing, welded on three sides, not just to the frame flanges. Same with the rear receiver. If anything, it may be too inflexible and make the frame rip apart, but that was the material I had laying around.DSCN0312.jpg

Besides, since my crappy welds where the frame rails butt together are holding up, the gooseneck and receiver installations are probably fine.

cucvrus

Hey. Time to change the fuel tank. Get some sea foam and get at it. I think a big side saddle steel tank from a Mack would fit this application much better. Have a great day.laughing-smiley-face-emoticon-7470274734_0a32f112b5laugh.jpg

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey. Time to change the fuel tank. Get some sea foam and get at it. I think a big side saddle steel tank from a Mack would fit this application much better. Have a great day.
All I have is a 15-gallon aluminum tank off a reefer trailer, which I've already considered using. It was just quicker to mount and plumb in the stocker.
If, for whatever reason, the sending unit/pickup would have to be removed, well then I'd probably have to change the tank. As it is now, that area has a bit of a curve to it after the impact.DSCN0659[1].jpg

cucvrus

I have one thing to guess from afar. Did you ever look carefully at the feed line (rubber hose) at the fuel pump. Is your feed line touching the frame and does it have a small wear/tear in it where the fuel pump feed line may have rubbed thru or was cut by worn out motor mounts? Check carefully. The rubber feed line should not be in contact with the front cross member. Do you have motor mounts? Check them closely. i have had this issue more then once on different CUCV's. Good Luck. Check back.

cucvrus

I ran the M1028 and the Mule M1009 most of the day doing storm clean up. Some of the trees on the property have fallen over from the ground being saturated with all the rain we had. I used both to haul brush and limbs. I just cut 5 loads each truck and called it a day. I had good help today and we loaded as we cut. I do not like helpers that all they want to do is cut and cut and cut and then go home. It works easier if you do things 1 step at a time. Same as working on solving an issue with a CUCV. Have a great day.DSCF3515.jpgOnce where one was parked now there is 3. I had to make more room. I have another M1028 that needs to stay with me for a while. DSCF3511.jpg

Volvo740turbo

I have one thing to guess from afar. Did you ever look carefully at the feed line (rubber hose) at the fuel pump. Is your feed line touching the frame and does it have a small wear/tear in it where the fuel pump feed line may have rubbed thru or was cut by worn out motor mounts? Check carefully. The rubber feed line should not be in contact with the front cross member. Do you have motor mounts? Check them closely. i have had this issue more then once on different CUCV's. Good Luck. Check back.
Pulled the return line to see if it was blocked...it was clear. I dug around the return port after removing it...seems the glass ball is still intact...should air pass at least one direction through this if I blow in it?

Volvo740turbo

Pulled the return line to see if it was blocked...it was clear. I dug around the return port after removing it...seems the glass ball is still intact...should air pass at least one direction through this if I blow in it?
I guess pulling these parts introduced more air into the lines so I'm in the process of cranking it until it runs again

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks