• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

cucvrus

I will answer that. You can access the 2 top center bolts from below. I usually use a 3/4" deep socket and a long ratchet. It helps to have a helper push in on the carriage bolt to get it to stay in the slot. I just buy new 1/2" X 2" carriage bolts and call it a day. I buy serrated flange nuts and they work perfect. I do on occasion mess with the stock bolts. But I have a bucket full of them and they are more trouble to repaint then they are worth. The carriage bolts look great and I can thread them 99% tight with my finger tips and then crank them water tight with my long 3/8" ratchet. Works every time. Good Luck.

Volvo740turbo

Got the truck from the exhaust shop...brought it home...trued to start it, starter free spun so I looked under it and there's a broken bolt where there should not be that's supposed to hold it on...pretty much banging my head off the wall now...

85CUCVtom

If you don't mind me asking, but how did you get to the inner top two bolts for the brush guard? I only put a bumper on my truck so far, and found them incredibly difficult to get to...I actually went through the grille opening because the grille was not yet installed. It has me putting off cleaning up and installing a brush guard I picked up.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
Cucvrus is spot on. Access them from the bottom between the frame rails. Long handle ratchet with a deep well socket should do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volvo740turbo

Not any more I guess it got loose and fell out. I actually was able to rig a ratchet strap to secure the starter so I could get fuel for it that I've been tryi g to get for the last week...i know it's ghetto but the truck works at least till I can get the bolt extracted...anither fun job id rather pay someone else to do honestly....the support stud is missing entirely so I'll have to locate another one..

One of these days when I have a day off I hope to actually enjoy having my truck again...not repairing it..i made changing the fuel.pump harder than it should have been as well...tip to the wise is reinstall the hard line BEFORE you try to mount the pump.

Hasn't stalled out yet but I haven't driven it much since the install..also changed the fuel filter and when dumping it out I didn't see much bad stuff till the last couple drop with some dark crud in it..bleh what a couple days...im just glad I have the "smaller" mv because I think the bigger ones would have me.hanging myself at this point lol

Last edited:

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I am still waiting on my SF97. Cant wait to get tags. Then have to decide how to tag?
How about some advice on best tags for CUCV in Missouri? Will historic tags work?

Thanks MV Owners

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am still waiting on my SF97. Cant wait to get tags. Then have to decide how to tag?
How about some advice on best tags for CUCV in Missouri? Will historic tags work?
Thanks MV Owners
Best to talk to your local DMV for any limitations a historic tag might carry with it.
Same with antique tags.
Seems like most guys have theirs tagged normal.

I have mine tagged as a farm truck since it does daily duties on the ranch.

cucvrus

Not any more I guess it got loose and fell out. I actually was able to rig a ratchet strap to secure the starter so I could get fuel for it that I've been tryi g to get for the last week...i know it's ghetto but the truck works at least till I can get the bolt extracted...anither fun job id rather pay someone else to do honestly....the support stud is missing entirely so I'll have to locate another one..

One of these days when I have a day off I hope to actually enjoy having my truck again...not repairing it..i made changing the fuel.pump harder than it should have been as well...tip to the wise is reinstall the hard line BEFORE you try to mount the pump.

Hasn't stalled out yet but I haven't driven it much since the install..also changed the fuel filter and when dumping it out I didn't see much bad stuff till the last couple drop with some dark crud in it..bleh what a couple days...im just glad I have the "smaller" mv because I think the bigger ones would have me.hanging myself at this point lol
You need to discover what type of starter you have a direct drive or a gear reduction 28MT starter. The hole it the block for the support bracket is a bolt not a stud. The stud should be on the starter. The block hole is metric M8 1.25 thread pitch. And the starter support stud id 1/4" x 20 standard coarse thread. I have the supports if you have the direct drive. The gear reduction starter support is still available at a GM dealer GM PN 23502557. I have a few in my desk drawer. they don't do you ant good but I wanted to share that with you. It is less then $10. at the dealer. I would say the broken bolt will come out easily. It did not break from being over tightened. It napped. Drill and it will come right out. Replace both bolts. Do not take any short cuts. Get the support bracket in place and everything tight and if you have everything else corrected you should not have to visit the starter for years. It always works for me. Good Luck. Report back. Advise is FREE. Anytime. Maybe not advise you like but still FREE.

Volvo740turbo

You need to discover what type of starter you have a direct drive or a gear reduction 28MT starter. The hole it the block for the support bracket is a bolt not a stud. The stud should be on the starter. The block hole is metric M8 1.25 thread pitch. And the starter support stud id 1/4" x 20 standard coarse thread. I have the supports if you have the direct drive. The gear reduction starter support is still available at a GM dealer GM PN 23502557. I have a few in my desk drawer. they don't do you ant good but I wanted to share that with you. It is less then $10. at the dealer. I would say the broken bolt will come out easily. It did not break from being over tightened. It napped. Drill and it will come right out. Replace both bolts. Do not take any short cuts. Get the support bracket in place and everything tight and if you have everything else corrected you should not have to visit the starter for years. It always works for me. Good Luck. Report back. Advise is FREE. Anytime. Maybe not advise you like but still FREE.
On my way to find the bracket i discovered that overnight my truck doesn't shift back to first gear at stoplights unless o do it manually.....so now I have 2 emergencies with the truck again....does anyone know why this would happen? The shifting selinoid is less than a year old and my vacuum lines are good...i can shift it manually and it will engage first gear but has trouble on its own now...oh bother

cucvrus

laughing-smiley-face-emoticon-7470274734_0a32f112b5laugh.jpgYes you will feel vacuum. The vacuum pump in the rear of the engine is making the vacuum. Now you need to set the vacuum modulator to allow the shifts to take place at the proper time. Yours is probably shifting to second immediately. Take it to a reliable transmission shop and have it properly set up. You need a vacuum gauge and you want it done correctly. If it is doing what you say the transmission will not like that and could burn up. It is a fine adjustment and you will notice a night and day difference. I paid $25. to have mine adjusted 1 time and all it was, was the hoses were switched. Top to transmission bottom to vacuum pump. But get it set up properly. You will be happy. Good Luck. That is you being happy. Not me laughing.

Volvo740turbo

View attachment 696111Yes you will feel vacuum. The vacuum pump in the rear of the engine is making the vacuum. Now you need to set the vacuum modulator to allow the shifts to take place at the proper time. Yours is probably shifting to second immediately. Take it to a reliable transmission shop and have it properly set up. You need a vacuum gauge and you want it done correctly. If it is doing what you say the transmission will not like that and could burn up. It is a fine adjustment and you will notice a night and day difference. I paid $25. to have mine adjusted 1 time and all it was, was the hoses were switched. Top to transmission bottom to vacuum pump. But get it set up properly. You will be happy. Good Luck. That is you being happy. Not me laughing.
Ok but it was set for a year now...it upshifts fine it's dropping back to first gear when stopped is where the issues are

cucvrus

On my way to find the bracket i discovered that overnight my truck doesn't shift back to first gear at stoplights unless o do it manually

Your quote. Now it does go or doesn't go into first?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks