• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Drock

Installed a set of "add-a-leaf" springs to my front "(2-1/2")" skyjacker lift kit :mad:. When I ordered this kit from Skyjacker almost a year ago, it was listed on their web site as a "Complete kit" for an 84 Chevy K30 with a 6.2 diesel & 454 gas motor. However, apparently you will need to also order & install a set of add-a-leafs to the spring pack. When I first installed the kit the truck sat slightly lower in the front. And after about 2 months the springs settled buy about 2". so I made a set of 2" longer shackles to help level it back out. But the springs continued to settle and ended up still 2" lower in the front. When I called and complained, they basically blew me off and told me that they had sense changed their web site and I should have known it would need extra parts :roll: ? Buy the way it took them 1 month to get the first kit to me & another month to send the add-a-leafs... In my opinion it would seem they consider or trucks obsolete and therefore don't stock the kits any more. And subsequently the younger generation that work there lack experience with older trucks. In the future I will be dealing with and advising people to use ORD (Off Road Design). As they specialize in 60's- 80"s Chevy 4X4 trucks and their staff answered more of my questions about Skyjacker kits, then Skyjacker could:drool:.. LOL!

gottaluvit

Installed a set of "add-a-leaf" springs to my front "(2-1/2")" skyjacker lift kit :mad:. When I ordered this kit from Skyjacker almost a year ago, it was listed on their web site as a "Complete kit" for an 84 Chevy K30 with a 6.2 diesel & 454 gas motor. However, apparently you will need to also order & install a set of add-a-leafs to the spring pack. When I first installed the kit the truck sat slightly lower in the front. And after about 2 months the springs settled buy about 2". so I made a set of 2" longer shackles to help level it back out. But the springs continued to settle and ended up still 2" lower in the front. When I called and complained, they basically blew me off and told me that they had sense changed their web site and I should have known it would need extra parts :roll: ? Buy the way it took them 1 month to get the first kit to me & another month to send the add-a-leafs... In my opinion it would seem they consider or trucks obsolete and therefore don't stock the kits any more. And subsequently the younger generation that work there lack experience with older trucks. In the future I will be dealing with and advising people to use ORD (Off Road Design). As they specialize in 60's- 80"s Chevy 4X4 trucks and their staff answered more of my questions about Skyjacker kits, then Skyjacker could:drool:.. LOL!
This all seems so odd. Shouldn't the springs (if made for a certain truck and weight) be made correctly from the start with no extra leafs needed?

LT67

Replaced CUCV ignition switch with a "normal" GM switch so the standard issue CUCV key can't be used anymore. Speedometer is next on the list.....

Ilikemtb999

Replaced CUCV ignition switch with a "normal" GM switch so the standard issue CUCV key can't be used anymore. Speedometer is next on the list.....
How'd that go? I still have a full lock kit to install in mine. Doors and even the rear isn't bad but that ignition is intimidating.

LT67

How'd that go? I still have a full lock kit to install in mine. Doors and even the rear isn't bad but that ignition is intimidating.
Lol.... the steering column needed some tightening up, so I had the same guy that repaired the steering column in my 79 K20 do it. No more sloppy shift lever...

Bighorn

The counter people at 4 wheel parts I went to did not know what a k5 was when I ordered parts.
They cater to Newer Jeeps.
Rancho no longer sells a winch bumper solution for Blazers either.
Nobody makes a front receiver mount either.
The younger generation confuse Blazers with Broncos.
I am turning into my Dad.. now get off my lawn!

85CUCVtom

The counter people at 4 wheel parts I went to did not know what a k5 was when I ordered parts.
I can sympathize, our local 4 Wheel Parts is worthless. Unless you drive a new Jeep JK, they don't have much for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are not hard at all. Much easier with a lockplate tool. They are about $15. Remove horn button stuff, wheel and lockplate to expose tumbler bolt. Remove bolt, swap cylinders and reassemble.

computer54

Not munch trouble , you take off steering wheel and then you pull it off and then you use a compuser to push down and you pull the clip off and then you are at the guts of it. Then you use a ¼ socket to take the engine lock and then replace it and but it bat the same way you took it apart.

Drock

This all seems so odd. Shouldn't the springs (if made for a certain truck and weight) be made correctly from the start with no extra leafs needed?
Well that was my thoughts. But according to them you have to buy their add-a-leaf kit to add to their existing kit.

Kaiser67M715

Well that was my thoughts. But according to them you have to buy their add-a-leaf kit to add to their existing kit.
I've found lots of kits are made for the lighter 350 motors, the extra mass of the 6.2 tends to wear out the front springs faster. Tuff country somewhat recognized this and recommends the HD springs only for diesels. (Just giving an example, not promoting, nor have I used them.)

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today's CUCV related task was to install a better window than the plastic wrap, since there's more rain coming.
It was a b*tch to get installed, mostly because without a helping (pushing) hand from the outside, it's...well, a lot harder. Used a cargo holder, which while helpful, pushed up rather than down. Also helpful was that the sliding window allowed pulling on it from the inside to some extent.
Anyway, $40 and some time well spent. Now I don't have to fix the exhaust .DSCN0681[1].jpg With the window closed it's quiet again.DSCN0680[1].jpg

computer54

Try Reese tow products and just check out there site and if if not try the other trailer hitch people they mite have one for you.

Bighorn

From what I can find, nobody makes a front receiver mount for a k5 blazer.
But folks have taken a rear receiver hitch from different application an cut it down to work.
Want to have a receiver mount winch.
Front is to recover others.
Rear for self recover.
Learned that lesson with my 84 k5.
A winch up front does one no good when stuck nose down in a mud hole one has no intention of crossing in a forward direction any longer...

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
From what I can find, nobody makes a front receiver mount for a k5 blazer.
But folks have taken a rear receiver hitch from different application an cut it down to work.
Want to have a receiver mount winch.
Front is to recover others.
Rear for self recover.
Learned that lesson with my 84 k5.
A winch up front does one no good when stuck nose down in a mud hole one has no intention of crossing in a forward direction any longer...
Warn should still make a hitch that will bolt up to a K5, but I think it needs an extra bolt drilled because of the front shackle mounts on the CUCV. I installed one on my m1028 a few years back.IMG_0843.jpg
It's hard to see in this pic but it sits under the bumper.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks