• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Bighorn

New shocks all around and I finally had a day off!
Went to the dentist.
Came back and installed my Napa Response shock absorbers.
Then I tore the NP208 transfer case out of the truck and will do a complete overhaul tonight.
New chain, , bearings, seals , shift fork guides.
Lucky for me I have this one tiny heated space.
It is where we keep the fire pump and tanks and it is not as messy as it looks..
it's worse.
My winter project is to remodel the whole inside of the firehouse to make it more useful.
But today it is the only place on the property besides my camper that isn't 26 degrees.
Sooo much fun!
I dig rebuilding transfer cases and stuff.
First I'll tear it down and then take the case halves into the lodge when Emily isn't looking and wash them in the sink.
Women don't understand sometimes.
Clean teeth and clean transfer case.. Life doesn't get any better.. oh yea.. new shocks!

View attachment 702377View attachment 702378View attachment 702379View attachment 702380
View attachment 702381

Ahhh. That's what I was looking for; A worn out shift fork guide.
They are plastic.
When they wear out, like the one under my finger, you get slop in the shifter.
Somebody replaced the one under the front axle shift fork but the hi-low range fork guides are wafer thin and crispy.
No matter.
My Transparts NP 208 Overhaul kit BK208 has all the parts I need.
Chain replacement is; Morse Hy-vo 025.
The old chain looks loose but I have the tail shaft housing off with the rear output support bearing, so it looks looser than it really is.
I will replace it anyways because I only want to do this once.

Last edited:

rustystud

Bit I don't think anyone likes other people touching their stuff, most times they come back with " oh you need this and oh you need that " they are not in buisness to be your friend though....the bastards
You got that right ! I had to take my vehicle in and get it aligned ( I don't own an alignment machine, wish I did though) after I replaced almost all the front steering parts. When I came back to pick it up the manager said all my ball joints and tie-rods where bad. I said "really ? That is amazing since I just finished replacing them all with brand new Moog parts" . He just turned and walked away. Needless to say, I haven't gone back to that alignment shop since.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I came back to pick it up the manager said all my ball joints and tie-rods where bad. I said "really ? That is amazing since I just finished replacing them all with brand new Moog parts" .
The truly sad part is if they indeed couldn't tell that the parts were recently replaced, just by looking at them.

Volvo740turbo

You got that right ! I had to take my vehicle in and get it aligned ( I don't own an alignment machine, wish I did though) after I replaced almost all the front steering parts. When I came back to pick it up the manager said all my ball joints and tie-rods where bad. I said "really ? That is amazing since I just finished replacing them all with brand new Moog parts" . He just turned and walked away. Needless to say, I haven't gone back to that alignment shop since.
Even if the alignment is good they will throw it off ...print the paper and try to sell you one afterwards

Drock

Sad to say I've seen those shops. It seems for every decent honest mechanic out there, their are ten more who are out there to make a quick buck off of you !
Agreed! when I was a kid I worked at a Jiffylube for 6 months. It would take me 2 days to tell all the stories I have from that experience LOL!

MarcusOReallyus

Sad to say I've seen those shops. It seems for every decent honest mechanic out there, their are ten more who are out there to make a quick buck off of you !

Sounds about the right ratio. That's why I don't shop price only. I would rather pay an honest mechanic more money for the same work, than go to someone who will rip me off with unnecessary repairs. My top three priorities in selecting any service business are:

1. Honesty.
  2. Competence.
  3. Price.

In that order!

computer54

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]And that is after I changed the front brakes because they were wearing in [/FONT]the wrong place and got the parts from Amazon as a kit.20170910_185646.jpg

Volvo740turbo

So, I go out to do my weekly crank and run a bit and although 24 volt battery tender shows full charged batteries, it won't turn over and just makes clicking sounds. So I take rear battery loose and hook up fast 12 Volt charger and in 2 min, fully charged, then repeat process to unconnected other battery bang 2 min fully charged.
Then connect all backup and try cranking again, same think just clicks, wtf could this be, I'm not diesel savy, and handicapped to boot, anyone with suggestions, its appreciated, no mechanics in my area know squat.
Any luck yet?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks