• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

johnjr

Bought a rusted out 6.2 diesel suburban with a rebuilt 700r in it. Took everything out in one piece and put it in the 1009. Have the torque converter lockup running with a toggle switch. Years ago I put axles from another blazer in it that have 3.42 gears in them. I have much better "holeshot" with the lower first gear and she cruises nicely at 65 mph in o.d. By the way its on 35" tires. Only problem speedo is off by 15 mph. Stock engine.

MarcusOReallyus

Stock engine and transfer case?

I'd strongly consider that.

Quite a few here have done that, and in the pickup too, IIRC. Other than a cable bracket that is hard to find, it seems to be pretty straightforward, and there are lots of happy campers.

There are tons of threads here about it. Most of them are in the Hot Rodding & Modification forum. If you are seriously considering it, you'll find some good reading there. :beer:

MarcusOReallyus

May i ask whats up with the neon green?
He's a scofflaw. I've warned him having that color on a vehicle is a felony in several states, not to mention being against the laws of nature, good taste, and the bylaws of several Homeowners Associations, plus being condemned as treason by the General Assembly of Lower Slobovia (as amended, 1978).

But does he listen? Has he repented of his evil ways? Nooo!

FrankenCub

That was one of the first things I replaced on my M1028 when I first got it. The one I installed was from a 1984 suburban with cruise control, intermittent wipers and tilt column. I still haven't installed the intermittent wiper assembly or cruise control, but someday ! If I live that long.
Now that's a good idea, I like cruise and intermittent wipers. How well does the cruise work on these older vehicles trucks? I've actually never used it on anything but the newer computer controlled cars.

rustystud

He's a scofflaw. I've warned him having that color on a vehicle is a felony in several states, not to mention being against the laws of nature, good taste, and the bylaws of several Homeowners Associations, plus being condemned as treason by the General Assembly of Lower Slobovia (as amended, 1978).

But does he listen? Has he repented of his evil ways? Nooo!

I say a little stay in the "stocks" will do his soul some good ! Maybe a little scourging too. Nothing says "repent" like a good scourging !

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
heater hoses

Just because I've been meaning to do it as PM. An opportunity to change the coolant as well. Put the "splint" around the smaller hose at the alternator. Its an easy task, I just had to wait to be inspired to do it.heat hose.jpg

MarcusOReallyus

That's a good modification, but don't tell some folks here you did that. It's heresy!

But why is it black? Couldn't you find some neon green heater hose?

rustystud

Rusty,
I was gentle... I promise.

Blame Cliff McCormick - I was just copying what was in his book.

View attachment 713355View attachment 713356
Generally speaking the "ATRA" rebuild books are pretty good, but sometimes they use methods that really should not be done unless your in the Artic and have no other tools handy. I was a member of ATRA in the early 1980's . They had lofty goals but they never reached them. ATRA or "Automatic Transmission Repair Association" tried to become another "ASE" . Now they just sell rebuild manuals which mostly just take information from the factory manuals with a few rebuild tricks thrown in. I still own over 20 of the first edition ATRA manuals, but the factory manuals are all far superior in content and in being able to rebuild a good transmission.

Chaski

Generally speaking the "ATRA" rebuild books are pretty good, but sometimes they use methods that really should not be done unless your in the Artic and have no other tools handy. I was a member of ATRA in the early 1980's . They had lofty goals but they never reached them. ATRA or "Automatic Transmission Repair Association" tried to become another "ASE" . Now they just sell rebuild manuals which mostly just take information from the factory manuals with a few rebuild tricks thrown in. I still own over 20 of the first edition ATRA manuals, but the factory manuals are all far superior in content and in being able to rebuild a good transmission.
So now you have to spill your Jedi master knowledge... How do you check endplay without touching the splines? Tractor beam? Some magical expensive tool?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks