• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Keith_J

I was thinking of an electric fuel door lock.
That would work. Except on my 1031, there the lock that keeps the generator compartment secure does the same for the fuel cap. Of course a deviant thief could easily cut the filler hose.

JSF01

Sanded all the spots where the paint has chipped away to prep my truck to be painted Tuesday. I am now convinced that at one time my truck had been painted tan, since As I sanded there was a layer of tan over another layer of green. So maybe my truck was in Desert Storm, or less likley in Afghanistan or Iraq wars (since I do not think very many CUCV went over much less came back)

Keith_J

More than likely, it was painted stateside for deployment in ODS but never went. There were MANY reserve units activated but never sent.

Which reminds me, if the weather holds, I should be able to get hoses crimped and my AC system prepared for charging. I'm going with a 24 hour vacuum hold to make sure there are no leaks. I don't have an R134a leak detector so making sure the system is perfect is a must. Yes, I am going to pull another vacuum after assuring no leaks because the hoses can trap a little water vapor which will be released after prolonged evacuation. Might even back-purge with argon if I can get the fittings. Argon pulls easier as it is a heavy, non-reactive molecule (actually, an atom). And since I have a good bit of it for welding, a few cubic feet for the AC system is essentially free.

Billman

This week's project was a tough and dirty job. I had a small, annoying oil leak to chase down, only a few drips, but a lot of built up wet crud. 8-10 hours later, I had replaced the oil pan gasket, rear main seal, rubber fuel lines, fuel pump and gaskets. Now that the job is done, I'm very happy and leak free. However, the curse words were flowing while messing with that fuel pump. That is an incredible pain in the butt.

zaxcucv

Replaced bad gen 1 alt with the Rare Electrical unit I ordered, no issues. Installed new vent window rubber on both sides, new rear window rubber seal, new horn. Installed front upper shackle hanger bushings. Oh yeah, and whenever I say "I replaced", I am taking liberties. A more accurate statement would be "I asked someone who is a much better mechanic that I to replace, and they complied for a fee". Which I am glad about, because the FUSH bushings and vent window rubber looked like a PITA.

Durango_USMC

Finally started the kingpin rebuild... but im stuck. Everywhere i researched that i cound find said 6 prong spindle socket, i get the hub off and its a 4 prong. I so i went and bought a 4 prong one too. Too small. Can anyone advise the right size spindle nut socket?

Edit got it 2 3/5" 4 prong spindle nut wrench $16 at advance auto

Edit 2 I got as far as the caliper mount, not sure if thats detachable or not. Ill try to get a small write up once i figure it out amd put it in the restoration thread.

Attachments

Last edited:

JSF01

My truck Is now all painted except for the bumpers grill, and brush guard. I had been planning on giving it a second coat today but the weather forecast changed and now its suppose to rain tomorrow. I really hope that the rain is not going to mess up the paint, I put on it yesterday.

K9Vic

My truck Is now all painted except for the bumpers grill, and brush guard. I had been planning on giving it a second coat today but the weather forecast changed and now its suppose to rain tomorrow. I really hope that the rain is not going to mess up the paint, I put on it yesterday.
Did you paint this with Behr?

If so you are likely to have issues if it rains with paint bubbling, this is why I have had to wait 2 week now to start painting my Burb. As long as there is a chance of rain within a week, I will not start to do any major painting. I have done some on the bumper and grille, but the truck went into a garage later that day. I wanted to have it painted before I added the lift, but the weather did not agree to that plan so when and did the lift anyways.

Changed the brake pads on the 1028. Wonder if they were original (got it with 19k)? Getting that shim pin and flat spring back in is definitely a two person job to hold the caliper up while beating on it. Didn't take too long though. Went with Napa Ultra Premium Severe Duty Product Number: UP UP7081ASD. Pricey, but hopefully they will improve the braking coming down steep mountain passes. Up next is solargizer, install headlight relays, which I have, and then rebuild Gen 1 and fix the leaky IP.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changed the brake pads on the 1028. Wonder if they were original (got it with 19k)? Getting that shim pin and flat spring back in is definitely a two person job to hold the caliper up while beating on it. Didn't take too long though. Went with Napa Ultra Premium Severe Duty Product Number: UP UP7081ASD. Pricey, but hopefully they will improve the braking coming down steep mountain passes. Up next is solargizer, install headlight relays, which I have, and then rebuild Gen 1 and fix the leaky IP.
After my panic stop last month my brakes have been squeaking. I pulled the wheels off and the pads were pretty thin so I added it to the to-do list. The squeaking has gotten worse though so I decided to just swap out the pads. Looked at the NAPA ones but ended up ordering some Wagner QC52 pads from Rock Auto because their prices were so much better. Ordered on Monday and will be here Thursday.

JSF01

Yes it was Behr Paint I was using. Unfortunately where I am getting a week straight of no rain seems to be rare in my experience so far, Since I have two weeks off from wok I decided I mine as well take the chance, and hope for the best

Attachments

K9Vic

Looks good JSF01, you may just get a few spots that bubble as that is what happened to me once. Since it is Behr you can just patch it and will be OK. I had the same issue having extra time and it rained the next day, but you have to take advantage of any available free time.

Side note, it is currently raining buckets here right now and not getting the painting done is delaying other add on parts.

JSF01

well the good news is that so far today it has held off raining, though it sure looks like it will be some time later today. I was planning on giving it a second coat any way so the bubbles should not be a problem. At least not yet, since Ill probably be facing a similar situation for the second coat. Eventually I plan on doing the 3 color camo but that won't be for a while.

twlinks

JSF01...are you not able to put it inside out of the rain? I would also not paint it if the humidity is high (like 70% or above). Good luck with it.

JSF01

No I cant. I live in an apartment complex so I do not have a covered area, as well as my M1009 is my daily driver so It is not really practical to garage it for the week or so that it would need for the paint to fully cure. I had done the hood last year to test the paint out, and had lucked out with the rain and morning dew not causing problems. Since then I have been waiting for a week of good and sunny weather starting on the weekend so I could paint put it never seemed to work out. I figured if I could get 3 days of no rain I should be mostly ok, combined with my time off of work I mine as well give it a shot. Worst case Ill have wasted half a gallon of paint, two rollers, a paint brush, and 5 hours of work, so no big loss for me.

Keith_J

Since you can only plan on 2-3 days of good weather, the BEST bet would be to rent a storage unit for a month. Paint it, then store it at the facility (measure first to make sure it will fit). Should be under $100. It will be too small for painting and most don't have power so you still have to find a place to paint. I've done it outside on a sunny day with the Behr. Natural light is best. Plus less runs. The paint flashes off within minutes so no fallout issues either but it is still tender so find a storage place close by.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks