• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

rsh4364

Just finished GP resistor bypass went well,replaced my autolite 1112s with 60gs this time,happy no plugs swelled after cascade failure.Tommorow trans. flush and new injectors.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drilled holes in the roof of my M1010, NMO mounts paired with LMR240... Got 4 in today, got 3 more tomorrow....

VHF PS - 1/2 wave
GPS - RHCP 'puck'
2.4 (Wifi) - 5/8 over 5/8
2m/440 - 1/4 wave 2m = 3/4 wave on 70cm
Chicken Band - Baseload 1/4 wave
VHF Air - 1/4 wave
800 - elevated feed 5/8 over 5/8

cucvrus

First things first. Get hood open. Not cooperating. The hood release will not release the striker is compressed to hard. I do not want to pry because the fenders and grille mouldings are perfect. The hood not so good junk. Air chisel to open hood from top. Discover hood was jammed and on top of that a chain and lock were in place that once the hood released it could only open 2 inches. Cut the chain and my son open the lock with the key that was in the glovebox. It fit all 4 locks on the truck. The under hood was dusty and dirty and the truck still had the OEM Delco Freedom batteries in it. The green eye on the batteries had long since died. Strange as it seems the truck had foil tape over the oil cap and rad cap. No antifrezze and the intake was foil taped and the air cleaner was foil taped. Moth balls were everywhere. in nylon stockings hanging from mechanics wire under the hood and on top of the axles and transmission transfer case. A metal file box gehind the seat revealed a clue to the issues that this 1984 M1010 had. All electrical no charge and rewired and changed harness. i guess the final straw was code H cracked dash pad, dead batteries, and dry rotted tires. That was filled out 27 August 1994. MGSGT Checket Camp Lejeune NC. Sent to DRMO. Well what did he expect it was 11 years old and the tires are the OEM Firestone Steeltex fuel savers. They make black marks just by looking at them. More later. The hood is off and on the scrap pile and the moth balls are piling up. The rear area has many surprises in it. So far the hood is te only body part that needs changed. Does anyone know what if anything is put in the cooling sytem when they are processed for storage?

RobM36A2

Well, I got my m1028 to a shop and I got to help on a major maintenance job.
New airfilter, motoroil and oilfilter, tranny filter and fluid, changed front diff oil, it was gray, filled up the rear diff.
Also a new oil seal and new fluid in the transfercase, it was leaking.

Last, but not least, I told the guy about my transfercase bumping out of 4wd, so we took a look at the linkage.
There was half an inch of play in the linkage, this was re-adjusted. Now it shifts better in 4wd and stays there.

rsh4364

Drove mine home from work today and forgot to turn elect.lift pump back on(I turn it off when I manually glow cold motor),10 miles at 65-70 MPH,Another 5miles at 50-55MPH,ran fine. ???

topgun217

Changed out the heater hoses and radiator hose today. Ran into a small leak though. NAPA says I have the correct rad/ hose but it still leaks. Am I missing something??? The radiator is new so there shouldn't be an issue but why the leak? Also I noticed on another M1009 that there is a "shield" that is supposed to under the radiator hose to keep the alt. belt from slapping it. Does anyone have the shield?

cucvrus

Hard item to find these days. Easy to make. Get a piece of 040 aluminum from a wrecked trailer or hardware store and double clamp the piece at the engine side. I did it many times. It serves the same purpose. Light steel from a fender or door will work also. Just curve it a bit buff the sharp edges all the way around and you are good to go. Tighted the clamps after you drive it a day or so. And did you clean all the mounting flanges? Important. These are 30 years old. Lots of crud on the engine and radiator. I even saw particles of the OEM hoses stick fast to the flanges on the radiator and the engine side.

topgun217

Found the shield in classifieds on here along with some other little items I needed. Thanks for the response though. The new rad has been in for a few months though. I'll install the new hose I got from napa today and give it another try. #1 hose was from autoz.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Today I removed the bows and racks from the bed of the m1028, then removed the bed so I can clean up the back of the frame and put in new cab corners. Only the front 2 bed bolts will need to be replaced. I also have a couple broken springs on the driver's side of the rear axle to fix.:-|

Attachments

MarcusOReallyus

Looks like a fun project, Porkchop. That's on my "someday" list, along with replacing the brake lines.

Post some pics when you get it cleaned up!

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mounted strip LED lighting inside the M1010, removed the flourescent fixture (broken, hit my head on too many times).

Loomed the LMR240, got it going where it needs to go.

Mounted the mounts for most of the radio gear.

Tomorrow I have a To Do list that's a mile long...

rsh4364

Today installed new injectors and changed trans.filter and fluid.Actually wasn't as hard changing injectors as I thought it would be.Also did new return lines.Oh yeah before I forget when you get to rear most injector on drivers side chock your tires and put trans. in 1,this will get shift linkage out of your way,allowing you to get socket on.Another thing is unscrew hold downs on valve covers and do the two injectors at the same time,then start,then do the next two.So on and so on.Drove it to work today,runs much smoother,starts much better,100 mile round trip,Im happy I changed injectors,I used Mylex,and am happy with them,no core charge either.Cant wait to fill up and check MPG.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks