• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those trailers are HEAVY.
They make a modern day dually truck squat a lot.
It does indeed affect the suspension on my Ram 3500 DRW quite a bit.

But it's not so much that the trailer is heavy (just over 10,000 lbs. as I recall) as that the rear 20 feet are empty space. Most of the weight is in the living quarters up front.

With the axles centered under the garage, that puts a lot of weight on the coupler. On the other hand, it doesn't matter if the garage is empty or if there's a 5,000-lb. vehicle back there.

LT67

A few small bugs to work out yet, but have fire under the hood again after a 19 year powerplant void sitting in storage. Feels like it just wants to go when the shifter is dropped.
View attachment 918413
Vortec 5.7 with a carb I assume..

I went with the factory EFI and the GMPP 395 hydraulic roller cam. Even with a dead cylinder(more on that later) and the ecu overcompensating the air/fuel mixture it'll still move my M1008 with ease

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run that size on my 86' M1008 and 79' k20..... I luv em
I do have to give those Toyo M55s some extra credit.

They've been on there for about 20 years and still look like they could be a year old, despite our brutal UV. And the thread is in great shape, except for where the tire chains have left some marks. Needless to say, it doesn't get driven on public roads all that often, or fast in general.

Heck, it's been at least 10 years since I added any air or checked the pressure in them.

Buck69

Vortec 5.7 with a carb I assume..

I went with the factory EFI and the GMPP 395 hydraulic roller cam. Even with a dead cylinder(more on that later) and the ecu overcompensating the air/fuel mixture it'll still move my M1008 with ease
Nice!
Mine is actually a 300hp Mercruiser I built a couple years ago for the ocean boat. Was just sitting on a stand. It has their Thunderbolt 5 ignition system with full knock control. Will just be for break in and to get the truck inspected and registered. Should give me a good idea of what I will want to build for the truck down the road. Hoping the .020 over 5.7 is plenty but may look to stroke the next one if it lacks pulling power on our hills with an 8000 lb boat behind it.
The marine carb does not have a bump up while in choke mode. Hopefully will have the whole package replaced before next winter. EFI may be included then but hoping to avoid electronics with this truck.

Buck69

I run the M55's on my '08 2500. They are the (33") 285/75/16's and are snug. Awesome tires. Same bolt pattern as on the '86. Will use them for clearance checks on the M1008. Would like to be able to go to a 35" to help with rpm's at highway speeds. Should give me a good idea of what I may need for a minimal lift. Not a chance I am going to chop the fenders on this beauty.

BIGHOSS

i just replaced the transmission, made up the three torsion rods, from scratch! as i ripped the bell housing off the old one
made fresh brake lines for the rear disc conversion , from the frame line back, including gravel guards.
putting stock exhaust back in after having 3" pipes rattling everything to death.
Led lightbulbs all the way around ,, including the led flasher .
new tailgate strikers, trunions and arms? (folding support)
new tires /wheels bulge lugnuts , no more acorns

and the next projects are
new mastr cylinder
new oil pan / rear main seal

nothin big - standard stuff hahaha

LT67

I do have to give those Toyo M55s some extra credit.

They've been on there for about 20 years and still look like they could be a year old, despite our brutal UV. And the thread is in great shape, except for where the tire chains have left some marks. Needless to say, it doesn't get driven on public roads all that often, or fast in general.

Heck, it's been at least 10 years since I added any air or checked the pressure in them.
I a set of BFG KM2 and Toyo MT 255 85r16 on my trucks. Both sets were purchased a few months apart in 2018. Both brands have been great, but I can tell the Toyos are holding up just fine. The BFG KM2 will probably have to be replaced this year...

deank

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spring break is here, getting some time in the shop. Over the last month I managed to reseal the transfer case. In the last two days I removed the transmission and pressure washed it. Getting ready to reseal it this week. Then it will be time to pull the engine.
IMG_9020.jpeg
IMG_9024.jpeg
IMG_9026.jpeg
IMG_9028.jpeg
IMG_9030.jpeg
IMG_9031.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks