• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Want To Swap my np208 for a 205 -

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
What made you choose to go to a 205? At more than twice the weight it is very strong but the 208 is the strongest chain drive TC. I only ask because normally only K5's playing in the mud with big blocks go 205. Are you upgrading to 14b fullf float rear and dana 60 up front? I just did the rear swap and aside from needing a longer driveshaft and the correct u bolt plates it was painless.

M1009 Fiend

What made you choose to go to a 205? At more than twice the weight it is very strong but the 208 is the strongest chain drive TC. I only ask because normally only K5's playing in the mud with big blocks go 205. Are you upgrading to 14b fullf float rear and dana 60 up front? I just did the rear swap and aside from needing a longer driveshaft and the correct u bolt plates it was painless.
I plan on going to 14b ff rear and D60 Front when i find them. An eventually adding the 203 rangebox to bring it to 4:1 low.

do you have the round or figure 8, 205 transfer case?
It depends on which box you have and which spacer you have?
Its going to be a round 205. I do not have a spacer yet, the guy Im going to buiy the case from has the t400-205 adaptor. He just needs to know if i have the long or short output shaft on the th400.

Im new to the 205 but dont mind busting knuckles learning.

Last edited:

richingalveston

I beleive the stock th400 4x4 is the short shaft, the long is on the two wheel drive where there is a slip yoke.
My advise would be to not buy the adapter and go ahead and get your 205/203 built with shifters you want to use and have it sitting there waiting on the axles. The 203 takes the place of the adapter.
Keep driving the truck with the 208 until all of the parts are collected. change out everything at once and save money on doing things twice. otherwise you will be modifiying your driveshafts several times.

If I were doing it again, I would not pull anything off of the truck until my lift, steering, trans and transfer case parts were received to do it all at one time.

jsgmdiesel

This info may help. 1977-1985 th400 chevy 205s have a short female 32 spline input. The adapter has a figure 8 pattern and the crossmember bolts to the bottom of the frame. The 77-85 th400 has a long output shaft to match the short female input on the 205. At some point in 1985 GM switched to a round pattern on the 205 and the corresponding adapter. Also at this time they went to a long 32 spline female input on the 205 and the matching th400 would have a shorter output shaft. The crossmember is also different, it has an S curve in it and it lays on top of the bottom channel of the frame. The question is, which one do CUCVs (M1031, M1028A1) use? I have heard that all CUCVs regardless of year 1984-87 are based on the 1984 model. If this is true all M1028A1s and M1031s could have the earlier 205 and matching crossmember and th400 trans with corresponding output shaft. The round style 205s and matching adapter are hard to find. The only civy models that used a 205 after were 1 tons to 87 and crew cab 4x4s till 91.

M1009 Fiend

Gents,

Got it all worked out!!! Ill be installing it as soon as....

Well details on the case:
-Figure 8 np205
-Will have the long 32sp input
-Switching the front output shaft to 32sp off of a ford np205 for later strength.
-Going to go with Twin Sticks (Love rear low!!!)
-I think I am sticking with slip yokes for now.

Also looking for a shaved 14bt Full Floater and a kingpin dana 60 front.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks