• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dodge WC 51 - chassis number

olbrzym

Hello , sorry but my english is not perfect ... :)

I have a dodge wc 51? but i cant find specification my truck and can't find history ....

Mayby some people help my ?

My chasis number - 81589548
Body number - 429028312

What is year production etc , thanks a lot

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
From the body #...first two numbers (42) = 1942 production date.

Go to google and type in "WC51 Dodge" and see what you can find.

Last edited:

WolfWalking

VIN or production number is 81589548, my book is at work could tell you the approximate month and year, Ill check it tomorrow. Body number is 4290 denoting open cab, and 28312 would mean its the 28312th to be produced.

1958 M274

I'm currently restoring my WC-51, number 81560119. It was built on August 7th, 1942 according to my build card from Chrysler.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go the the Chrysler museum web site and apply for a copy of the original build card. It costs $25 and will tell you everything you want to know.

coen

Hello my english is not perfect also,

I bought a dodge wc52 in holland. But i have a problem theDepartment for Transport say its from 1954.
I’m now looking if i can find some documents that the truck is from 1944.

But the serial number / vin number isn’t in the range it is 91 119 585. Maybe someone could help me?
i'm new here.IMG_1901.jpg

Superdave

With that serial number sounds like you have a Canadian built WC52 APT (Air Transportable) Here is a little info that I got off the web somewhere:

[FONT=&quot]

So... if you've visited this site I guess you're into Dodges too. As you don't often get to see Canadian Dodges around, I guess I should start off with a few T236 "facts" & compare these to it's closest cousin, the US built 'WC 52'. In putting together this list I was surprised to find that there were two T236 bodies, a wide and a narrow version, (I've never seen a wide one !!).

Naturally I'd love to know anything else you can tell me about Canadian T236's, so if you've got any info ... Please get in touch !![/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]CANADIAN DODGE T236[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Engine = T236
Wheel Base = 98"
Length = 168 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1/4[/FONT][FONT=&quot]"
Width = 6'11[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1/8[/FONT][FONT=&quot]" & 6' 5[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1/8[/FONT][FONT=&quot]"
Voltage = 12 v
Cylinder Bore = 3 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]7/16[/FONT][FONT=&quot]"
Stroke = 4 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1/4[/FONT][FONT=&quot]"
Displacement = 236.6 cubic inches
Rating = 92.5 Bhp (82.5 with full accessories)
Winch Capacity = 7500Lbs
Weight = 6000Lbs (including all equipment, full tank of petrol, oil & water (no personnel)

Serial Numbers = 91,151,283 to 91,156,282
91,166,034 to 91,172,783
Cab = Body cut away for driver's access (i.e. gap between spare wheel and storage bin)[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]WADEPROOFING[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Serial numbers 91,166,034 to 91,167,033 were wadeproofed during production except for the distributor and ignition coil assemblies.

Serial numbers after 91,167,033 were fully wadeproofed and consequently marked with a yellow transfer incorporating the word "Wadeproof" on the assembly. These vehicles were able to drive through 5 feet of water ... i.e. limited to the height of the drivers head !!

There were a number of rather interesting breather pipes to assist with the wadeproofing. For example vent tubes ran from the distributor, the brake master cylinder and the fuel tank into the air cleaner vent tube and another tube from the crankcase ventilator to the inlet manifold. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]AIRPORTABILITY[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Two Canadian T236 Weapons Carrier body types were produced...
Early types were 6' 11[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1/8[/FONT][FONT=&quot]" wide and designated 2M1A
Later types were 6' 5[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1/8[/FONT][FONT=&quot]" wide and designated 2M2A

Certain detachable components were removed during air transport. Each later type vehicle was provided with a full spare set of removable parts in a wooden and waterproofed box marked "Attaching stock for airportability", (just in case anything ever got lost !)[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]DODGE WC 52[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Engine = T214
Wheel Base = 98"
Length = 174[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1/2[/FONT][FONT=&quot]"
Width = 6'10[/FONT][FONT=&quot]3/4[/FONT][FONT=&quot]"
Voltage = 6v (&12v)
Cylinder Bore = 3 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1/4[/FONT][FONT=&quot]"
Stroke = 4 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]5/8[/FONT][FONT=&quot]"
Displacement = 230.2 ci
Rating = 76 Bhp
Winch Capacity = 5000Lbs
Weight = 7350Lbs[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]My Dodge...

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Chassis Number = 91 168 214[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Engine Number = T236 696 74 C

The vehicle seems pretty much totally original. It still has all the airportable tie down points and the brush guards, which often seem to have been removed.

On the downside there are a few touches of rust in the rear bins, particularly the one on the driver's side where the body had at some stage suffered a pretty hefty collision which was repaired with 6mm steel plate, (repair only visible from inside the storage bin). The only modification seems to have been that at some stage a roller type radiator cover was fitted. I guess this would have been fitted by a suitably cold Northern European country, such as Norway. The only other alterations seem to have been the removal of the original regulator box and the fitting of new reflectors on the rear-side panels, (it still has the original spec 'knobbly' reflectors on the rear !!)

Since I've owned it the engine has had to be re-built following a badly adjusted clutch which put too much pressure on the crank, which wore the thrust washers away which allowed the crank to slip, knackering the rods, (sorry Bernie !)... but other than that everything is AOK.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

coen

With that serial number sounds like you have a Canadian built WC52 APT (Air Transportable) Here is a little info that I got off the web somewhere:
Serial Numbers = 91,151,283 to 91,156,282
91,166,034 to 91,172,783
Hi there,
thank you so much for your answer. I also thought it would be a Canadian T236, however my serial number doesn't fall in the range you qouted, instead it's about 42,000 before the first number 91,119,585. Therefor I wonder if it really is a Canadian T236. It also looks like it has a WC51 grille, but it has a winch like the WC52 has. So it could be someone restored it with the wrong grille though. It also has a wide body.

$_85.JPG $_85-2.jpg$_85-4.jpg$_85-6.JPG

Hi there,
thank you so much for your answer. I also thought it would be a Canadian T236, however my serial number doesn't fall in the range you qouted, instead it's about 42,000 before the first number 91,119,585. Therefor I wonder if it really is a Canadian T236. It also looks like it has a WC51 grille, but it has a winch like the WC52 has. So it could be someone restored it with the wrong grille though. It also has a wide body.

View attachment 520873 View attachment 520874View attachment 520875View attachment 520876
Although this is an old post, I'll take a chance by replying to it. I can't help you about what your Dodge truck is either a WC 51, WC52, or a Canadian variant, but I had to comment on the 84th Infantry Division (US) patch that has been painted on the canvas. Did you do that, and if so, why? The reason I am curious is that I was assigned to a sub unit of the 84th Division after the war when it was an Army Reserve formation. The headquarters used to be in Milwaukee, WI located on an old NIKE missile base. The period of time that I was assigned to this division was not that long 1974 to 1987 and the unit I was assigned to has been inactivated. The Division itself has been moved to FT Knox, KY and has changed missions since my day and I wouldn't recognize it now.

The 84th Division arrived in the ETO on 20 September 1944 and had 170 days of combat.It returned to the US on 19 January 1946 and was inactivated and assigned to the Reserve two days later on 21 January 1946.

Its record in WW II is outstanding. The 84th Infantry Division arrived in England, 1 October 1944, and trained. It landed on Omaha Beach, 1-4 November 1944, and moved to the vicinity of Gulpen, Holland, 5-12 November. The Division entered combat, 18 November, with an attack on Geilenkirchen, Germany, as part of the larger offensive in the Roer Valley, north of Aachen. Taking Geilenkirchen, 19 November, the Division pushed forward to take Beeck and Lindern in the face of heavy enemy resistance, 29 November. After a short rest, the Division returned to the fight, taking Wurm and Mullendorf, 18 December, before moving to Belgium to help stem the German winter offensive. Battling in snow, sleet, and rain, the Division threw off German attacks, recaptured Verdenne, 24-28 December, took Beffe and Devantave, 4-6 January 1945, and seized Laroche, 11 January. By 16 January, the Bulge had been reduced. After a 5-day respite, the 84th resumed the offensive, taking Gouvy and Beho. On 7 February, the Division assumed responsibility for the Roer River zone, between Linnich and Himmerich, and trained for the river crossing. On 23 February 1945, the Division cut across the Roer, took Boisheim and Dulken, 1 March, crossed the Niers Canal on the 2d, took Krefeld, 3 March, and reached the Rhine by 5 March. The Division trained along the west bank of the river in March. After crossing the Rhine, 1 April, the Division drove from Lembeck toward Bielefeld in conjunction with the 5th Armored Division, crossing the Weser River to capture Hanover, 10 April. By 13 April, the Division had reached the Elbe, and halted its advance, patrolling along the river. The Russians were contacted at Balow, 2 May 1945. The Division remained on occupation duty in Germany after VE Day, returning to the United States in January 1946 for demobilization.

Last edited:

regtar

Can anybody help me?
I have a dodge wc 51 .
Body number: 4290-142676.
Chassisnumber: 81529225.
There is also a number on the bumper and i don't know why that is there but it is: n'66162.
And can anybody help me to know what my hood number is and why there is a number in the bumper?

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my WC51 the hood number had no relation to the other numbers on the vehicle. I worked both sides of the hood with a light brushing of paint stripper which I quickly wiped off with wet rags. It worked great and after 5 or six application the number came up clear enough to identify. Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks