• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5th wheel to lunette conversion for m35a2 tow

Hainebd

I have a m35a2 and 35 ft 5th wheel trailer. The deuce is to high for the 5 th wheel pin. I don't want to remove bed. Has anyone thought or converted a 5th wheel trailer to lunette ring. I know about the banging from the hitch but I can't justify a new truck. Any thoughts?

m816

Dump the bed and add a fifth wheel turntable. The trailer is more fun and you can definately put more stuff in it.

Hainebd

I like that but still to high. My bed is 10 inches higher than the 5 th wheel pin plate. It is almost level with pintle hitch. I can make up this difference with adapter fabrication.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A set of steps and a 6" lift for the trailer... or bigger trailer wheels!

There isn't much weight in an RV trailer, so in theory you could put the fifth wheel plate off of the rear of the bed on a small sub frame.....

Dolly is an option but backing would be a real nightmare....

De mountable rear half of the bed that covers the 5th wheel plate...

Is the trailer fifth wheel king pin part of a big box member hanging from the front of the trailer, maybe that could be shortened (raising the king pin).....

Interesting predicament you have.

Hainebd

A few more details. Trailer weight 15,000 pounds with max tong weight of 3,750 pounds. Currently 13 ft high leaving 6 inches to go up. Lunette ring will take weight and so will deuce. Keep the ideas coming I need all the help I can get.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dexter 8 lug x 6.5 are the same as Hummer wheel pattern. I think they are 37" high.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Somewhere on here there was a guy that had taken a gooseneck flatbed and made an adaptor so he could pull it with his deuce (or maybe 5 ton). In the pictures he posted he was hauling hay with it. Maybe someone here can find the pics and post them.

gunboy1656

Hainebd

Now you are talkin. Looks what I had in mind but dam that is some hay. Ok nice job with the hitch design. So do I convert to goosenech coupler then to lunette ring?

Hainebd

There is a second set of bolt holes that will raise pin plate 2 inches. Not enough to mount 5th wheel head to bed. I am going to look at tommorow to see if I can do hay hauler mod to it.

commochief26

I'm dreaming,,, of using the bed as a deck in my back yard and putting a wooden bed low,, step side low. Put the fifth wheel on normal. Add tool boxes as needed.
All I need is,, all that stuff..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks