• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Our "new" M882

michigandon

For those of you who were at the Denton Farmpark last month, yes this is the same truck that was for sale there.

My wife looked it over and warmed up to the idea of having one, and after shopping around and failing to find a more suitable specimen within a reasonable price/distance, we decided to procure this one. It has excellent sheetmetal with the exception of the rockers. Unfortunately he 318 currently runs like it's trying to swap cylinders, the brakes are barely capable of stopping it, and everything electrical on it only works when it feels like doing so. :( Current plans are to throw a new top end on it and do a "motor pool"-style cosmetic restoration.

This thread will serve as a build thread.

Attachments

michigandon

Removing the Mad Max front bumper. Anyone have a decent original front bumper?
(I'll settle for one from a '71-'93 civilian truck if I can't find an M880 one)
m880stuff 116.jpgm880stuff 117.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a great starting point. Finding one with minimal rust can be a challenge. My M887 was swapping cylinders when I got it. It barely had the power to pull up on the trailer. I found some bent and broken pushrods. After fixing that it was a smooth runner. What are the odds of making it to the GA Rally with this unit? They are great trucks (if you add P/S).

michigandon

Don't think I'll be bringing it to Georgia this year, but I hope to have it all gussied up in time for SSGARally 2014.

It already has PS added! However, one of the brackets is cracked and the belt is off the pump. Doesn't look like it'll be *too* difficult to get it working again.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They need the P/S. A deuce is easier to steer in a parking lot than the M880. Despite the lack of fuel mileage, they are a great truck.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
michigandon, the junkyards across America are FILLED with 70s Dodge trucks, that use the same front bumper. Shouldn't be any problem finding an original style MOPAR one in good shape.

Geat plans for the build, keep us updated!

michigandon

michigandon, the junkyards across America are FILLED with 70s Dodge trucks, that use the same front bumper. Shouldn't be any problem finding an original style MOPAR one in good shape.
Yup, a car-part.com search turned up a few in the area, including a yard on the coast that has a Ramcharger, as well as a one in Asheboro that has a '78 that I don't dare call about, because it's listed as having an NP435/NP205, and I would never be able to leave there without taking ALL that stuff. :-o

I'm also going to be in the market for a replacement tailgate.
I do NOT want the civilian one that has "Dodge" stamped in it.

Looks like a keeper. As far as I know, all the tailgates on the M880s I remember seeing back in the day (as they say) had "Dodge" stamped in them. The one I have now has a "Dodge" logo and it is so far as I know the original tailgate that came with the truck when it entered Army service. You may not be able to find one that is plain.

They're good trucks, but the type definitely has wiring issues that will drive you crazy until it's sorted out.aua And you need the power steering working to enjoy it to its fullest extent. :D

sherifflittle

For those of you who were at the Denton Farmpark last month, yes this is the same truck that was for sale there.

My wife looked it over and warmed up to the idea of having one, and after shopping around and failing to find a more suitable specimen within a reasonable price/distance, we decided to procure this one. It has excellent sheetmetal with the exception of the rockers. Unfortunately he 318 currently runs like it's trying to swap cylinders, the brakes are barely capable of stopping it, and everything electrical on it only works when it feels like doing so. :( Current plans are to throw a new top end on it and do a "motor pool"-style cosmetic restoration.

This thread will serve as a build thread.
welcome i think i saw that one on craigslist awhile back. i pm'ed you about a front bumper.seemed like a good on that truck but i found one closer to me.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Couple tips, michigandon,

I had a M890 years back, very short ownership time before the engine blew up. Anyways, I learned some things over the years about the series:

The original tires were 9.50x16.5LT. They are hard to find in this exact size anymore, and more wheels that are 16.5 inches diameter are on the way out. Look into upgrading to something a bit more aggressive tread for offroad, and some rims that are 16 inches even, to replace the OEM junk.

If you ever plan on towbaring this vehicle behind a deuce or similar, you will need the M880 towbar adapters that mount to the front frame horns of the Dodge. They are out there, most folks don't know what the heck they are. A picture of them is attached, from an auction on eBarf.

The engine is the venerable 318 cid Dodge, almost too tough to kill, but the engine in the M880 is typical mid 70s de-smogged de-tuned POS. You will be lucky to get 8 mpg out of it. If you want to keep it original, great, rebuild that sucker and look into some modern upgrades that may smooth out the engine's performance, and give a couple more mpgs as well. Some guys have yanked the 318 and dropped a Cummins 4BT in there, with good results. But it will cost $$$.

The -880 is typical military spartan design (well, spartan for the 1970s, todays "spartan" includes things you never dreamed of), and is inherently easy to upgrade. A M101 trailer body for a rear bed. Lift kit with HMMWV tires and wheels. Front winch. Rock rails. Rip out that messed up bench seat and put in a padded split bench from a 1990s Ram. Power steering. A/C. Lots of neat stuff you can do, some Steel Soldiers have done them and made them into great performing offroad trucks.

Attachments

Last edited:

michigandon

The original tires were 9.50x16.5LT. They are hard to find in this exact size anymore, and more wheels that are 16.5 inches diameter are on the way out. Look into upgrading to something a bit more aggressive tread for offroad, and some rims that are 16 inches even, to replace the OEM junk.
Already one step ahead of you there dawg. Should be a bountiful supply of 16" steelies in the boneyards nearby. And since I am of the opinion that a 1960s or 1970s 4X4 HAS to have Pizza Cutters on it ;) , I plan on getting her shod with four of these (the ""Extra Grip M/T" at the top of the page): http://www.tirerecappers.com/taxonomy/term/8

The engine is the venerable 318 cid Dodge, almost too tough to kill, but the engine in the M880 is typical mid 70s de-smogged de-tuned POS. You will be lucky to get 8 mpg out of it. If you want to keep it original, great, rebuild that sucker and look into some modern upgrades that may smooth out the engine's performance, and give a couple more mpgs as well. Some guys have yanked the 318 and dropped a Cummins 4BT in there, with good results. But it will cost $$$.

The -880 is typical military spartan design (well, spartan for the 1970s, todays "spartan" includes things you never dreamed of), and is inherently easy to upgrade. A M101 trailer body for a rear bed. Lift kit with HMMWV tires and wheels. Front winch. Rock rails. Rip out that messed up bench seat and put in a padded split bench from a 1990s Ram. Power steering. A/C. Lots of neat stuff you can do, some Steel Soldiers have done them and made them into great performing offroad trucks.
K.I.S.S. is going to be the name of the game on this project. With the exception of the 16" tires and wheels and PS, I want it to remain in as close to "as-issued" condition as possible. I love the way that maxim's truck turned out in the M880 picture thread, so that is the end result I am shooting for.

I would LOVE to be able to repower it with a 4BT, but it isn't in the budget. At least not right now anyways. :(

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M880's did not have Dodge stamped on the tailgate, Civilian Dodges of those years had a "Dodge" decal. The supply of replacement tailgates through Mopar had plenty of older ones with Dodge stamped into them.

Used to be able to find NOS front bumpers for $100-$200
all I found was aftermarket replacements for $200

95% of all M880 electrical issues are caused by a bad ground(s)

Older ford 16's are wider than Dodge 16's (6") the stock 16.5.s are 6 7/8" wide IIRC
Chevy rims will not fit over the D60 rear hubs.

pic of My M880 for the heck of it.
IM002699c.jpg

sherifflittle

i was wondering what those were on the front now i know thanks. i thought they were for a plow or something. mine also has p/s and the tailgate also has dodge on it. mine has been changed to 16" wheels. they can also use blue oval f 8 lug wheels same pattern and easy to find.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks