• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maryland tags,title,registration

Plumb2good

Hello everyone I am new to this forum and am looking to purchase a vehicle soon. My question is how is everybody getting these things tagged and titled in MD. I'm looking at the 2.5 and 5 ton models. I also have State Farm for insurance has anybody had any experience with them and these vehicles. Thanks for your time and I did try and search under the northeast forums in here but did not see much info. Also this truck will be used maybe once/twice a month. I do not have a commercial drivers license.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you try searching for registration or title or insurance? There are lots of threads and I know I have seen some one MD.

We have quite a few members out there as well.

hunderliggur

If you want MD Historic tags you must have collectors insurance. Comes with a bunch of strings attached. PM me if you want more info, I just got my MD Historic tags this week.

USMC4302

I tagged my 5-ton a year ago. Historic tags and my insurance is with Gulfway -- a great insurer of antique trucks. They have a lot fewer strings than Hagerty, J.C. Taylor or the other specialty insurers. But what works for any other folks may not work for you -- just call around and see who has the best deal for your needs. With insurance, SF-97, the bill of sale for GL and the Historica Plate and Title forms in hand, I was in and out of the DMV office in less than 30 minutes (we have a good one in St. Mary's County).

The reality is that if you want to save money on insurance (by going with the specialty insurers), you have to live with some strings attached. Gulfway seems to have the least strings (they realize folks like to play with their toys :) )

Good luck!

Kohburn

gulfway is the way to go

historic tags don't require an inspection

if you get one thats already tagged/titled then its super easy

otherwise you'll need the sf97

as for the license requirements, a 2.5 ton is just a standard class c, a 5 ton will need atleast a non-commercial class b or class a

Last edited:

Plumb2good

Thanks guys! I was outbid last night on eBay on the one I wanted but will keep looking till I get what I want. In the mean time is there anybody near pasadena MD that would be willing to show me the ropes on one of these trucks. Thanks for all the help.

PJDiesel

To avoid starting a new thread (same topic/same state). How does one go about getting a MD title for a 5 ton? Is there anything else I should be asking GL for when I pick up or any other forms I will need?

tow2gunner

After u pick it up, go back on the GL site - lookin your account, you should have a link to apply for your SF97. Do that.
Sit and wait 2-3 weeks , you will receive it registered mail.
IF vehicle is 25yrs or more, historic reg. (51$ at DMV) otherwise commercial - 246.50.

If not historic - you have to get state truck inspection - ~275$ plan on adding backup lights. I had to get 2 brake lines replaced (<250$)

I also had to get commercial ins. State Farm - 950/yr. NO restrictions...

DieselBob

Maryland is twenty years for historic, not 25, correct? Unit I bought is a 1992.
For trucks over 10K GVWR it is 25. This is from the Maryland MVA site

" Does my vehicle qualify for historic or street rod plates?
Historic:

• To qualify as a historic vehicle, your vehicle must not have been substantially altered, remodeled, or remanufactured from its original design, and must be a passenger vehicle, motorcycle or truck (with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less) and is 20 calendar years or older. The vehicle owner will certify the vehicle will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. The vehicle owner further certifies the vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways.
  • A historic registration may also be issued to a truck with a GVWR in excess of 10,000, tractor or motor home as long as the vehicle is 25 calendar years old or older. The vehicle cannot be substantially altered, remodeled or remanufactured from its original design. Note: Vehicles issued historic tags under these criteria may not be used for occasional transportation or for any commercial transportation of passengers or property on highways. The vehicle may only be used in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours and similar uses. A historic vehicle in this category must be insured by a Historic Vehicle, Show Vehicle or Antique Vehicle insurance policy."

tow2gunner

it's not too bad - i have a 1990
dont go to collettes in perryville - they tried to eff me over on the inspection. wanted to charge me for removing the whells to do the brake inspection. they wanted 250/ inspection plus 3-4 hr labor at 125$/hr because of the wheels....
chesapeake service center on rt40 just past north east - they did mine. honest work, good prices.

i have 2 yrs to do on commercial tages. yearly renewal - the lady at the elkton dmv has done these before and she used to work for harsco and bae systems. getting reg/tags/title was a breeze!

the insurance was a pain. jc taylor - no garage,no coverage., i was in the md. guard wi todd stewart - the state farm agent. no prblems there in/out had insurance.

tow2gunner

i am right behind paradise motors (junk yard) off rt40 before elkton.
drag strip is about 10 min away.
we looked at a house down near there a few years ago...

F18hornetM

I tagged both my M35 [1970] and M813 [1979] as historic. Maryland has been messing with antique laws because of all the junk on the road. I insured through state farm, no problems. Trailers I tag through Maine, don't even need a title for before 1994 I think.. Mine are all 1967/68's so plenty old enough. If I buy another truck it will be an 1988 or older. I don't need them for transportation only to play with, take to car shows, parades etc. So antique is way to go for me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks