• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maryland tags,title,registration

F18hornetM

Not sure on the BMY-Harsco thing. I am curious about that as well. I know AM General goes through no problems. To be used commercially it would need to be state inspected and tagged for its GVW. Don't hold me to it but I think empty weight is around 23k lbs. Add minimum of 5 tons payload and that's 33K lbs. You have to tag and register a vehicle for its weight and the weight of its load. {GVW}I would say if tagged commercially it would require a CDL. Best to call MVA. The reason I say this is, if I bought a 1984 Ford F750 and it has a GVW of 33K it would need cdl to drive it commercially. I see no difference. Interesting on an historic tagged truck, on the title and registration the GVW says N/A on all 3 of mine. But then they cannot be used commercially see below:

Right from Md code.

A vehicle registered as historic cannot be used for general daily transportation, or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. It can only be used in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, and similar uses. A trailer does not qualify for historic registration.
A historic registration may also be issued to a truck with a GVWR in excess of 10,000 pounds, a tractor or a motor home as long as the vehicle is 25 calendar years old or older. The vehicle cannot be substantially altered, remodeled or remanufactured from its original design. Vehicles issued historic tags under these criteria cannot be used for occasional transportation, or for any commercial transportation of passengers or property on highways. A historic vehicle in this category must be insured by a Historic Vehicle, Show Vehicle, or Antique Vehicle insurance policy.
Note: A Maryland Safety Inspection Certificate is not required to register this vehicle.

Merc1973

I finally got around to getting to the title and tags on my truck. If you're planning on going to the Glen Burnie MVA, dont bother unless you have a whole day off (weekday only) to spend inside waiting in line. I went to 12 Minute Tag and Title just down the road. My total cost for Historic Plates, Registration, Title transfer (PA title) and service charge from the company was $324. I walked out with Historic plates in hand and registration. The Title should be mailed to my home in 2 weeks. :)

Another Ahab

I finally got around to getting to the title and tags on my truck. If you're planning on going to the Glen Burnie MVA, dont bother unless you have a whole day off (weekday only) to spend inside waiting in line. I went to 12 Minute Tag and Title just down the road. My total cost for Historic Plates, Registration, Title transfer (PA title) and service charge from the company was $324. I walked out with Historic plates in hand and registration. The Title should be mailed to my home in 2 weeks. :)
That's a private business?

Doing brokering for State services?

Another Ahab

Yes.

Their service charge for everything was about $50.
So, if you have enough money:

- You can pay a private service to compensate for the incompetence (or call it "inconvenience") of the public service

- And if not, you are stuck (and unequal under the law).

- Or, in other words: everybody in MD is equal under the law, but (if you can afford it) some are more equal than others.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm not headed to a pretty place here); but, do I have that right?

Last edited:

Merc1973

I'm with you 100%

I waited in the "Information" line for 1 hour and gave up. That line just gives your your ticket number so you can then wait some more....

I suppose it boils down to: "What is your time worth?"

Another Ahab

I'm with you 100%

I waited in the "Information" line for 1 hour and gave up. That line just gives your your ticket number so you can then wait some more....

I suppose it boils down to: "What is your time worth?"
Or:

- If you have enough cash, you can BUY better government than your neighbor gets.

Something about this doesn't strike me as the kind of thing that would thrill Thomas Jefferson.

(but take me here with a grain of salt; I'm a Virginian, and the OP is about Maryland).

Last edited:

DieselBob

Congratulations on the title and tags. Yeh the Glen Burnie MVA is a joke at best but then again it is the HQ for the finest gooberment employees money can buy.

Another Ahab

That's a private business?

Doing brokering for State services?
Yes.

Their service charge for everything was about $50.
If that $50 fee went back into the State Treasury, that might be argued as reasonable (maybe).

But if that $50 fee is just lining the pocket of a private business, then….then I'm just going WAY off OP, here!

So, hush my mouth.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If that $50 fee went back into the State Treasury, that might be argued as reasonable (maybe).

But if that $50 fee is just lining the pocket of a private business, then….then I'm just going WAY off OP, here!

So, hush my mouth.
Private businesses have overhead and their employees do not get paid by the state .

F18hornetM

Glad you got it tagged!!!
I pay an extra $30 dollar fee here and its worth every penny not to have to deal with the state. I make an appointment, walk in and 10 minutes later done. They actually try to "help" you get things tagged. Go figure!! Yes its a private business like anything else, they have to eat to. Maryland is one of the worse states for bureaucratic crap. We own a small business here and every vehicle I get I tag through them.

Another Ahab:
Virginia vs Maryland , VA charges you every year for personal property tax [vehicles] and get inspected every year. {at least was that way when I lived there}In Maryland, if its not for business there is no personal property tax on vehicles and no yearly inspections [well on the other side of the bay there is, not here] So each have pros and cons. A third of the peninsula where I live is VA. {Delmarva peninsula}

hunderliggur

Since I see the MVA form, which applies additional MVA wording (not the law) quoted as law from time to time, the actual Maryland law is COMAR:

.05 Registration Requirements and Plate.

A. The owner of a vehicle to be registered under this chapter shall also certify on the Application for Historic Motor Vehicle Registration that the historic motor vehicle:

(1) Shall be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation, and similar uses; and

(2) Will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways.

B. For each vehicle registered under this chapter, the Administration shall issue special, historic registration plates of the size and design that the Administration determines.

Another Ahab

No yearly inspection north of Baltimore!

Ahab, you can also pay a private company in VA to title and tag your vehicle for you.
Yeah, but that's like extortion. Like the program Carlo talks about in Italy and other parts of the EU:

- What it also means is that those with money can pay their way for better gov't service.

How is that fair to the people who don't have the luxury of paying the "extra" fee? All citizens should have the same right, and not a special line for those that can afford paying "extra". I'm not liking that idea. It says everybody's equal, only some are MORE equal than others. The Soviet model wasn't it?

Yeah, but that's like extortion. Like the program Carlo talks about in Italy and other parts of the EU:

- What it also means is that those with money can pay their way for better gov't service.

How is that fair to the people who don't have the luxury of paying the "extra" fee? All citizens should have the same right, and not a special line for those that can afford paying "extra". I'm not liking that idea. It says everybody's equal, only some are MORE equal than others. The Soviet model wasn't it?
You are paying someone else to do the work for you and are not getting better government service.

Fair? rofl Extortion?rofl

Wait, you're right. It's not fair that you have a M35A2 w/Winch and everyone else doesn't. So anyone should just be able to use it anytime they want...:patracy:

NormB

Just went through this routine with a new (to me) 1991 M998 HMMWV I bought from surplus military Depot LLC (649 Teton Dr. Lothian MD 20711).

Kevin suggested I go through a local - to him, across the street from his lot) title office, but he understood Maryland law to require inspection, necessitating the installation of backup lights and license tag frame/light at great expense to ME before I could drive it off and, exercising the waning privilege of my latent inner adolescent (heck, I'm almost 60, I don't take him out much anymore), I just paid for the thing and had my son follow me home on the beltway. We passed one cop on the way home and he already had someone pulled over. Nice 42 mile shakedown cruise.

Couple days later, after reading the actual MVA regulations (bottom line being NO INSPECTION REQUIRED for historic vehicle registration), I went down to Maryland Title and Tag in Laurel on a Wednesday, paid the $51 plus their fee and taxes and was told they'd drop them off at the Glen Burnie MVA on Thursday and, barring any delays
I'd have the tags on Tuesday. Woman there said because the title (Montana, ROAD title, NOT off-road) only had six digits, it had to be processed manually, AT the MVA. I took her word for it.

Picked up the tags three days ago, still have to finish wiring in the backup lights, but so far so good.

Oh, and I called GEICO and saved a boatload of money on car insurance.
HMMWV.jpg
HMMWV.jpg

Last edited:

F18hornetM

Not sure what the GVW of a Humvee is but if under 10,000 lbs in Maryland has just got to be 20 years old. A truck over 10,000 lbs is 25 years old with no inspection for historic plates . Looks like you got it made now. Maryland really tightened down on trucks with historic plates. Seems some commercial operators,[dump truck, over the road etc] drivers where using older trucks for commercial uses and not paying required fees etc. They even took "incidental use" out of the law for trucks over 10,000lbs. Only to and from special events , car shows etc
Watch the same thing is going to happen with cars, everybody on the road now with a 20 year old car has historic plates and drives to work everyday.. we do it to ourselves then get upset because laws change. Just saying!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks