• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maryland tags,title,registration

NormB

Not sure what the GVW of a Humvee is but if under 10,000 lbs in Maryland has just got to be 20 years old. A truck over 10,000 lbs is 25 years old with no inspection for historic plates . Looks like you got it made now. Maryland really tightened down on trucks with historic plates. Seems some commercial operators,[dump truck, over the road etc] drivers where using older trucks for commercial uses and not paying required fees etc. They even took "incidental use" out of the law for trucks over 10,000lbs. Only to and from special events , car shows etc
Watch the same thing is going to happen with cars, everybody on the road now with a 20 year old car has historic plates and drives to work everyday.. we do it to ourselves then get upset because laws change. Just saying!!
From the MVA website:

[h=3]How do I register a vehicle as a historic vehicle?[/h]To be registered as a historic vehicle (class L), your vehicle must be a passenger vehicle, motorcycle or truck (with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less): be 20 calendar years old or older and must not have been substantially altered, remodeled or remanufactured from the manufacturers original design.
A vehicle registered as historic cannot be used for general daily transportation, or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. It can only be used in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. A trailer does not qualify for historic registration. They will not be used for employment, transportation to and from employment or school, or for commercial purposes.
A historic registration may also be issued to a truck with a GVWR in excess of 10,000 pounds, a tractor or a motor home as long as the vehicle is 25 calendar years old or older. The vehicle cannot be substantially altered, remodeled or remanufactured from its original design. Vehicles issued historic tags under these criteria cannot be used for occasional transportation, or for any commercial transportation of passengers or property on highways. A historic vehicle in this category must be insured by a Historic Vehicle, Show Vehicle, or Antique Vehicle insurance policy.
If your historic vehicle is 60 years old or older, you may obtain a permanent, non-transferable registration for a one-time fee. Note: A historic motor vehicle 60 years old or older do not qualify for a special registration plates since they require an annual registration fee.
You can apply to register your vehicle as a historic vehicle in person at any of the MVA’s full service branch offices. You also can mail the required documents to the MVA’s Mail in Registration Unit in the Glen Burnie office, or go to an MVA licensed tag and title service where they will assist you in applying. Licensed tag and title services will charge a fee for this service.
The registration application documents include:

Under certain circumstances, additional information and/or forms may be required:

• Application for the Use of Vintage Registration Plates – If you possess vintage (old) license plates that are dated the same year as your vehicle’s model year, you may apply to display these vintage license plates on the vehicle, in place of the historic tags that are usually displayed. The vehicle must be 25 years old or older to display vintage license plates. The historic tags will still be issued, the renewal fees must be paid, and the plates must be carried in the vehicle at all times. There is a one-time fee for the use of vintage tags.
  • Specialty License Plate Application – Historic vehicles are also eligible to display personalized message (vanity) plates. If you choose to request these plates, see Registration – Specialty License Plates for details. Historic vehicles 60 years or older, with permanent registration, do not qualify for special registration plates.
Note: A Maryland Safety Inspection Certificate is not required to register this vehicle.

I probably COULD have paid the what, $150 a year or so tag fee, but I really don't think I'll be driving all that much. Once or twice a month range date, occasional ride around the neighborhood just to hack off the über-liberal neighbors, I'm sure I'll think of more.

joshuak

Not sure what the GVW of a Humvee is but if under 10,000 lbs in Maryland has just got to be 20 years old. A truck over 10,000 lbs is 25 years old with no inspection for historic plates . Looks like you got it made now. Maryland really tightened down on trucks with historic plates. Seems some commercial operators,[dump truck, over the road etc] drivers where using older trucks for commercial uses and not paying required fees etc. They even took "incidental use" out of the law for trucks over 10,000lbs. Only to and from special events , car shows etc
Watch the same thing is going to happen with cars, everybody on the road now with a 20 year old car has historic plates and drives to work everyday.. we do it to ourselves then get upset because laws change. Just saying!!
I agree with that, I see a lot of Historic tags on POS's around here. The folks at the inspection station thought I was crazy for getting regular tags for my M1009, it failed the inspection first go around for among other things, torn drivers seat, lol. It was a hassle but definitely worth the time and $ to me.

F18hornetM

NormB, glad you got it all worked out.
I have mine registered the same way. And I only use them occasionally for a show, parade , get fuel or exercise 5-10 miles. Never had law enforcement say anything about it. Actually the sheriff's house I can see from mine and I have been invited several times from the sheriffs department to attend events. BUT, I don't drive it to work daily either. 50 mile daily round trip fuel would kill me!!! LOL

Joshuak, Your close by !! Not that many MVs on shore.

Shogun187

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have issues with bringing in a Gov planet SF97/title to the MVA to get a Maryland title? Figured I'd ask here in hopes of preventing 10 diff trips to MVA.

tow2gunner

Anyone have issues with bringing in a Gov planet SF97/title to the MVA to get a Maryland title? Figured I'd ask here in hopes of preventing 10 diff trips to MVA.

No issues- I went to the one in Elkton - I had my M923A2 inspected (Commercial Truck Insp - was about $250). Had my SF97 with me. In /out in about 15 minute. The lady who did it used to work for BMY/Harsco. Was a piece of cake! She did want to go and look at it - she said she was working for them at the time mine was built. Take several photos of the vehicle, including the data plates - they did have some issue with it being a "non-standard" VIN. Mine was registered as a stake-body truck.

IF it is over 25yrs - you do not need the inspection - and can get Historic Tags. There is also NO requirement for anything higher class lic. (At least on the M923A2)
**This was my experience with my 1990 M923A2** - I also have ins thru State Farm here in Elton (Col. Todd Stewart - he was my Bn Cmdr in the MDARNG) I pay about 170/yr for it. (Mention SGT PAul Lewis is you call there..)

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, no troubles last month. Clear SF-97 for a 2001 HMMWV. The only question was the validity of the SF-97 re-assignment, which was cleared up fine by a supervisor.

Jon_Gilbart

Hello. I just purchased a 1986 M934A1 and am looking to drive it around occasionally for pleasure and occasionally for business in Maryland. I had much smaller military vehicles in the past, which I had tagged with historic tags, and never had a problem. Now that I have a BIG (> 10,000 lbs.) truck, I see that good old Maryland has recently changed the rules so that I can't drive it around w/ Historic tags for fun or business use. So what are my options here? Is it reasonable to have this thing inspected (knowing that he car inspections in Maryland are insanely difficult to pass), or is there another option? If I tag it as Historic, and therefore I can ONLY drive this in parades or to club events, that basically means I can hardly ever drive it, which really sucks! BTW, I started going through a lot of the old posts, but seeing as how most of the posts are many years old and there has been a recent change in the rules, I was hoping that someone has tackled this issue since the recent rule change. Thanks in advance!

Scrounger

Simple answer tag it as historic and go have fun.

Now for the history lesson. One guyed tagged a dump truck historic and was using it for commercial use and got caught. That’s why they changed the law so vehicles over 10,000 now have to be twenty-five years old. I know it doesn’t make any sense.

A lot of people have tagged what is their daily driver as historic to get around safety inspections, emissions inspections, cheaper insurance and cheaper tags. Now you don’t think those people in Annapolis were going to miss out on that revenue did you. So, they added the language that you referred to.

The bottom line is the police are only looking at the twenty-year-old Honda Civic with historic tags being driven every day.
Unless you plan on driving your 5 ton to work every day you won’t have a problem.

jpfever

Simple answer tag it as historic and go have fun.

Now for the history lesson. One guyed tagged a dump truck historic and was using it for commercial use and got caught. That’s why they changed the law so vehicles over 10,000 now have to be twenty-five years old. I know it doesn’t make any sense.

A lot of people have tagged what is their daily driver as historic to get around safety inspections, emissions inspections, cheaper insurance and cheaper tags. Now you don’t think those people in Annapolis were going to miss out on that revenue did you. So, they added the language that you referred to.

The bottom line is the police are only looking at the twenty-year-old Honda Civic with historic tags being driven every day.
Unless you plan on driving your 5 ton to work every day you won’t have a problem.

Unless you have a Maryland State Trooper who gets a hard on seeing what type of citation he can issue you for driving your Historic Vehicle. My truck sits at the house, in clear view of the A$$ to see every day he drives by my house, he lives just up the road a mile of two. I take it out "for occasional personal use" on a Saturday, not more than 2 miles from my house, said A$$ pulls me over and issues me a Traffic Warning Violation for "General Daily Transportation". BTW, said A$$ was in front of me, pulled over to the shoulder for me to pass, then turned on his Red and Blues. Dick Move!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks