• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Police V-100 Tire & Wheel question

Sergeant21112

V100.jpg
I need some assistance. I just acquired this 1969 V-100 for our police department's use. Runs great with one problem, tires and wheels have been removed and replaced with obvious the inappropriate tires and wheels.

I was told we need to purchase 14.5 x 20 12 ply "run flat" tires. That should be kind of easy. What I'm having a difficult time is trying to find the wheels. Everyone I call have different opinions. All I know for sure is the wheels need to be six bolt pattern. I was told by a gentleman that it is critical to get the correct wheel or they would not mount (hub issues) or will be incorrectly "off-set". I'm not a tire guy, wheel guy, or even a mechanic. Just trying to get tires and wheels put on this thing at a REASONABLE cost.

On a side note, we DO NOT CARE about the amphibious characteristics of the vehicle (unit was modified and will likely not float correctly anyway) so the tire do not have to be anything special.

Thank you all for your help.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your V100 will take the exact same wheels that many many deuce and a half enthusiasts are using to mount 14.00-20 and 395-20 tires on their trucks. Search "HEMTT wheel adapters".

Sergeant21112

I may have a lead on a set of wheels and tires for you, I will advise shortly.
That would be great!! PLEASE KEEP ME IN MINE. This was a non-budget requisition from DOD law enforcement program so we are going to seek out support from our community to get it operational. The sheriff's office in Florida who had the vehicle did a great job since 2004 making great modifications and maintainig it in great shape. I think it was with a Washington DC agency prior to the sheriff's office.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually the V100 wont take the regular wheels due to backspacing/clearance issues. It would save us V guys a lot of wheel heartache if they would!
Yours looks like it has deuce (2.5 ton truck) wheels mounted dish-out.
Original V100 wheels are rarer then hens teeth!

Give WGTactical a holler, he can help you out with getting them spec'ed correctly.

Correct tire size for the V100 is 14.00x20, rather than 14.5, which would be a bit short. I am running Goodyears on mine, and they work well. Some of the others are running Michelins, with equally good results. Both are pretty easy to get surplus, you should be able to get them free.

Now, we need more pictures of your beast, which is obviously heavily modified from stock!

Cheers

Last edited:

Sergeant21112

v100front.jpgv100side.jpg
I think WGTactical will be a invaluable resource! I've taken a few hours to visit his projects from the web, to include his personal V100, which inspired my chief and the other officers to buy in to our little project. We just need tires and wheels at a reasonable cost (I know - I'm dreaming) to get us rolling. Once we get this beast rolling the support will come from within our local gov't in the form of a budget going forward to maintain and make more just modifications and from the community. I'm just trying to keep this V100 alive another 40 years serving a valuable role. I've searched for tires at every DRMO sites in the United States with no luck. I could only find four relevant NSN to conduct the search so I will keep looking but I admit my fingers are crossed WGTactical will get us on the path for some tires and wheels because web searches wasn't very promising. I will post some pics and a 2004 news article about the vehicle real soon. I will also have more pictures when it makes it way from Citrus to to our PD in Volusia County within the next few weeks.

http://www.chronicleonline.com/content/duck-and-cover?quicktabs_2=0
http://www.sptimes.com/2006/09/30/news_pf/Pasco/Citrus_County_vision_.shtml

In case anyone wonders why our department wants this vehicle:
http://www.beacononlinenews.com/news/daily/1843
http://www.wesh.com/news/central-fl...say/-/12983450/19107006/-/prwfmy/-/index.html

I know every officer at my department will be happy if the only use our V100 ever gets is looking cool at special events and parades; however, law enforcement should never have to feel like they need to justify or apologize for bringing a gun to a knife fight.... or being prepared too.

Thank you WGTatical, NDT, M813rc and all future members for your help and insight.

Last edited:

Sergeant21112

Without question WGTactical will be incredibly helpful with our V100. I've had the opportunity to visit various websites and his V100 is amazing. I showed my commander and a few officers some pictures and video of his V100 and we are excited. I hope WGTactical will also get us on a path to some tires and wheels. I'm a little concerned because I told my chief tires and wheels will be easy to get. Since then I've searched every DRMO in the USA for the 49" tires (40.00x20) with no luck so far. I can get plenty of HMMWV or MRAP tires but they are not the correct size. My fingers are crossed we will get the tires and wheels soon.
The V100 should make the trip from Citrus County SO to Orange City PD within the next few weeks. I will paste a link of an old newspaper article of a story of his V100 when Citrus County had it.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gerald is a great guy, you'll like him!

The 14.00x20 (14.00R20) tires should be easy to get, and for an agency cheap or free. Hooks in Texarkana almost always has some lots up, and a bunch more in reserve that you can access. I bet there are some on MCLB Albany or one of the other Georgia sites too.

Where did the original wheels go between Citrus Co and you?

Cool article on the rebuild. I wish I had some trustees to help when I was doing mine! :-D

Cheers

Sergeant21112

If I had the NIIN or NSN for the tires it would make my hunt a ill easier.

As far as the tires and wheels ... Well i really don't know for sure BUT they were removed and are remaining at their county fleet maintenance storage lot. I'd like to think they have another county vehicle to use it on and hope its not an employee awaiting for the next county auction of "surplus". I'm not gonna inquire more than I did, just happy to get the vehicle. They offered to allow us to take measurements of the wheels to help have some fabricated but that is out of the question ($$$) for now. Just sucks because we do not have a budget for it this year so if I have to drop large dollars for the tires and wheels from the get go the powers to be may stop this before it even arrives. I told my chief about the need for tires and wheels before he gave the okay to requisition but our mechanic said tires and wheels would be not problem. Unfortunately he is only familiar with our brush trucks and not a V100. Lol.

wgtactical

Without question WGTactical will be incredibly helpful with our V100. I've had the opportunity to visit various websites and his V100 is amazing. I showed my commander and a few officers some pictures and video of his V100 and we are excited. I hope WGTactical will also get us on a path to some tires and wheels. I'm a little concerned because I told my chief tires and wheels will be easy to get. Since then I've searched every DRMO in the USA for the 49" tires (40.00x20) with no luck so far. I can get plenty of HMMWV or MRAP tires but they are not the correct size. My fingers are crossed we will get the tires and wheels soon.
The V100 should make the trip from Citrus County SO to Orange City PD within the next few weeks. I will paste a link of an old newspaper article of a story of his V100 when Citrus County had it.
I didn't have any luck on the V100 wheels, but I would recommend modified HEMMT wheels and wheel adapters. Unlike the adapters readily available, I machined mine with a hub and machined the inside out on the HEMMT wheels so the centers will run concentric with the wheels. As Rory has said, the 14.00x20 tires are easy to get and relatively inexpensive if you get takeoffs. I would be glad to help out any way I can...it's always a pleasure seeing these machines get a second chance (or more) :beer:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't see what else they would use the wheels on, maybe they just wanted the tires? Perhaps you could go back and explain how hard it is to get the proper wheels, and offer them a set of tires in exchange for the ones they have.

When we refer to the takeoff tires, most have lots of tread left and will last you for a long time.

I would get the tires for you locally, but we are a long way apart. Gerald/WGTac is virtually a neighbour, so I'll leave that up to him.

Cheers

Sergeant21112

Gerald got me a NSN for a wheel that can be modified. Found some at a TX base that I can get free under the 1033 program (just pay for shipping) so that is great news.
I have three NSN's for the 1400/12 tires but none found it the DOD surplus system. Will keep hunting. Worse case, will buy from private seller.

Sergeant21112

Should have MRAP tire and wheel assembly (nsn 2530015725445) delivered next week. XZL 395/85R20 on 20" wheel. Little smaller tire than the 1400x20 by about 2" but price was too good.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great! The 395's are a very modern tire and you will appreciate them over anything else. All you need now are some "MRAP wheel adapters", being sold here (search), and you won't even have to dismount the tire, and keep the runflat capability.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is more or less what you will be getting. The wheel adapter is a disk with two sets of bolt circles, one circle allows you to bolt to the hole pattern in the MRAP wheel, and the other to the 6 hole Budd pattern on the V-100. The adapter will likely need to go inside the wheel. Any competant fab shop with a laser cutter can make these with ease, so maybe you can find a local shop that will make them for your agency.

Attachments

peashooter

You could see if Matt (VINTAGE IRON) would trade you a set of his MRAP rims and 1400 tires for the ones you are getting, He has some left but was keeping them for his own projects, but I'm sure he would entertain a trade, they are taller tires too than the 395s. His MRAP rims are the less common 20 bolt variants that have less backspacing than the 12 bolt steel ones. You could try dish in and if there isnt enough room, then run them dish out. They wouldnt have run flats however.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-for-bobbers&p=1307489&viewfull=1#post1307489

Also you can see if you can find any of these PLS trailer wheels, I have to think they would certainly work. They use the MRAP size adapters but the wheels have even less backspacing than the 20 bolt MRAPs. You could run them dish in or out as well depending on what worked best. I know of people that have bought these and learned they wouldnt work too well with their deuce because of such low backspacing. But less backspacing is exactly what your V100 will need.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...or-the-deuce&p=1046590&viewfull=1#post1046590

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks