• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How/where re you guys mounting your license plates?

I received my historical plates. Curious as to where others have placed theirs on the M151. Ohio is a two plate State, so I have to mount front and rear plates.

I have been driving my Deuce and 151 without the plates mounted. I just bring them and proof of insurance. Need to get them on the vehicle.

Unfortunately Ohio does have to display the plates. Thanks, that would be nice if Ohio was that way.

Thinking about the magnetic plate holders that dealers use.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know of a few Buckeyes that say you do not need to display your plates if you have historic plates on an MV.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From your state's website(found Googling).

Notwithstanding section 4503.21 of the Revised Code, the
owner of an historical motor vehicle that was manufactured for military purposes
and that is registered under this section may display the assigned registration
number of the vehicle by painting the number on the front and rear of the
vehicle. The number shall be painted, in accordance with the size and style
specifications established for numerals and letters shown on license plates in
section 4503.22 of the Revised Code, in a color that contrasts clearly with the
color of the vehicle, and shall be legible and visible at all times. Upon
application for registration under this section and payment of the license fee
prescribed in division (B) of this section, the owner of such an historical
motor vehicle shall be issued an historical vehicle license
plates plate. The registration certificate and
at least one such the license plate shall be kept in the
vehicle at all times the vehicle is operated on the public roads and highways in
this state. If ownership of such a vehicle is transferred, the transferor shall
surrender the historical vehicle license plates plate or
transfer them it to another historical motor vehicle the
transferor owns, and remove or obliterate the registration numbers painted on
the vehicle.​

Reactions: 187

It's right in the Ohio Revised Code. 4503.21. No exception for historical plates and they do issue you two plates. I have not been putting mine on and have met a few State Troopers :) They have been nice because I have them with me, plus my proof of insurance. I'm also in law enforcement but don't consider myself above the law and want to be legit.

Magnets are easy but I'm always concerned about some fool snatching the plates while I stop somewhere.

Doghead, that is awesome. I have never seen that before an I have been in LE for 21 years. I am now in the Federal system but I will distribute that to all the guys I know here in Ohio. I appreciate that very much.

steelandcanvas

Magnets are easy but I'm always concerned about some fool snatching the plates while I stop somewhere.
Are magnets acceptable under the "fastening requirements" in your Ohio Revised Code? I think most states would require some sort of mechanical fastening. Car dealerships probably get away with the magnetic attachment.

Reactions: 187

Captaincarrier

Found this for Florida: A former military vehicle that is used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display is exempt from the requirement to display a license plate or registration insignia if the exemption is necessary to maintain the vehicle’s accurate military markings. However, the license plate and registration certificate issued under this section must be carried within the vehicle and available for inspection by any law enforcement officer....

199th mp

does anyone here know, or can anyone make reference to the applicable regs in california? i would prefer to carry the plates, rather than display them, as my M151 is completely stock and period correct in it's equipment.

FUBIJAR

I think we are supposed to display them here in NJ, but I don't and just keep them in the cab.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only person in Ohio that I know for sure that displays them is Stretch. Everyone else that has historical plates paints them on. I just painted mine on the front and back and carry the plates in the cab. Per OH law.

DH is correct.

;-)

TNJMurray

We've got a part for that
On the 151 most people mount them to the spare tire plate , that way it is protected well for off road. Run a tag light wire up from the tail light and use a 24v light . Tnjmurray

nattieleather

When I had a M151 it was done up as an MP Jeep. I painted the plate number on the spare tire plate and on the front bumper. I then carried the plates in the tool box under the passenger seat. Worked great looked great too. The man who changed that law was a state rep who has a large MV collection. He also changed the law that allows classic cars to have plates registered to the vehicle can be a plate from the year the vehicle was made. So if you have a 55 cheby you can have 1955 Ohio plate you found in someones garage as your HV plate provided the number is not registered to another vehicle. Cool law all around for HV collectors whether they have a MV or not.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks