• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electric Winch Install

Dmaxcc6spd

Has anyone tried installing an electric winch on their 939 series truck? For those of us without a winch, it may be a much more cost effective option with much less work. Warn offers a 24 volt unit with 18,000 rated line pull. I've seen this winch for sale for under $2,000. Most of the military hydraulic units people are selling are asking in that price range. I think the electric would be very simple to install. The worst part would be mounting the unit, but I don't think that would be too bad.

Please post pictures if you have done something like this.

zout

Its not an apple to apple comparison - But I have the Warn 6,000 on the front of the M109 with remote control operation.

I put the tow rings on the bottom of the frame fronts - made a 1/2 steel plate for the top of the bumper - yes it extends out just a litle ways but it works awesome. I put the control box to the left front just lower than the headlight - wired the 24v in.

zout

ahhh - look up my cookout thread - I think there are some pics hidden in there. I just cannot recall though all the pics of which ones have shots. It does work great. The 1/2 plate steel was bolted into the top area where the rings were removed - I made gussets off the nose of the plate and welded them onto the bumper for forward support - these were also 1/2 in steel.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
For the same price, a pto winch will run ALL DAY LONG, the electric will run 10min at a time(with a 40min cool down period).

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I like the idea of the stock winch but it adds almost 2 feet to the truck and the in-cab control is huge. I was going to get a second front bumper and flip it bolt it up and put the winch behind it with the cable coming out the center hole.

Id love to go the electric route because its so simple. But I dont think 18,000 pounds is enough. A snatch block to double the pulling strength would be a necessity, and if you run into a situation where you need the entire length of your winch line and not half, you may be screwed.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have 2 trucks so if I get stuck I can go get the other one to pull me out. If you are pulling someone else out you can use chain or tow line to the shackles and drive. You could call aaa and tell them to send a big truck.

TehTDK

Id love to go the electric route because its so simple. But I dont think 18,000 pounds is enough. A snatch block to double the pulling strength would be a necessity, and if you run into a situation where you need the entire length of your winch line and not half, you may be screwed.
I take it the 5-Ton PTO/Hydraulic winch is rated for more then 10,000 then as opposed to the Deuce Winch??

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first time you bury your 5 ton to the pumpkins and you are counting on the Warn 18,000 to suck you out, even with a snatch block, you are going to be very disappointed. Ask any MRAP driver over in 'Stan.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You better find something pretty strong to anchor your winch to if you want to pull out 21k of steel buried tire deep in mud. When that line let's go because you ripped out the tree you were hooked around you better be out of the way. Don't think you are gonna hook onto another truck you would probably just end up dragging them into your mess. When a 5 ton gets stuck deep its hard to get it unstuck. Look on youtube there are plenty of vids military having to use tanks and such to get stuck trucks out of sand mud is way worse.

TehTDK

I have the danish army wreckers guide sitting in front of me right now. If someone wants me to I can whip a little number for how much pulling effort would be required to "unstick" a 5ton buried in mud :p

TehTDK

M936, M936A1, M936A2 has a 45,000 pound rear winch. All other models has a 20,000 winch on the front according to the 5-ton TM.

All the numbers I us come from the 5-Ton TM. For this "experiment" I am using the M931A2 and the M936 as the 2 example trucks as they are the lightest and heaviest according to the TM.

The outlines for this calculation:
Both trucks are stuck in deep mud, the effort required will be listed with 2 numbers; the pulling effort required at a flat recovery, and the effort required if trying to recover at a 45 degree angle. All numbers in lbs

M931A2
Base weight: 19,895 lbs

Rolling resistance, Deep mud: 19,895 * 0.66 = 13,130.7 lbs
Gradient Resistance (0°) = 2 * 19,895 * 0 / 100 = 0 lbs
Gradient Resistance (45°) = 2 * 19,895 * 45 / 100 = 17,905.5 lbs

Total Pulling Effort required (0°) = 13,130.7 lbs
Total Pulling Effort required (45°) = 31,036.2 lbs
(Rolling + Gradient Resistance)

M936

Base weight: 39,334 lbs

Rolling resistance, Deep mud: 39,334*0.66 = 25,960.44
Gradient Resistance (0°) = 2 * 39,334 * 0 / 100 = 0 lbs
Gradient Resistance (45°) = 2 * 39,334 * 45 / 100 = 35,400.6 lbs

Total Pulling Effort required (0°) = 25,960.44
Total Pulling Effort required (45°) = 61,361.04 lbs
(Rolling + Gradient Resistance)

So as you can see its not a tiny weight we are dealing with one way or the other. And one thing worth noting is that the numbers provided is the effort required. But that doesn't mean that your 20,000 lbs winch with a snatch-block can simply recover a stuck up to its axles in mud M931A2 up a 45° slope. Theoretically it can, BUT you would need to secure the recovering vehicle in such a way that its anchored weight is sufficient, otherwise all you would simply achieve is to pull the recovering vehicle towards the vehicle being recovered.

So there you have it ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks