• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering column change

phat6

Ebay or most of the resellers have them. You will have to make the hole larger. The switch you ordered has 2 wires for each position you may have to solder them together and onto a single wire use it. A way to cheat is to take an old headlight bulb and cut the leads off. They already have the packard connector on one end and are nice thick wires.
Thanks! Found the part numbers (MS27144-1 & MS27142-2) and did a search for those part numbers and found these:

Gunzy

I think you guys are over thinking a key. It would be simpler to just put a keyed on/off switch in place of the original battery switch.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I like having the keyed ignition maybe I'm just a creature of habit. The battery cutoff is ok I personally prefer the ignition though.

phat6

Thanks for the pics. Makes it seem simple--simple for someone to hotwire too!

Ordered one of these:

Perhaps by some miracle it will fit. If not, I guess I will have to make the hole bigger. Will have to splice into the wiring also.
Update: Switch does not come with the harness, so ordered the harness. So far my Bill of Materials (BOM):

Hopefully that does it and I can crimp up a complete assembly and then swap out with the existing switch.

phat6

Looks like 3/4" hole, so will have to enlarge the hole in the dash. Confirmed the pin-out in the datasheet. Also confirmed spring return is to run, not to off:

Looking at Connector Receptacle on Keyed Ignition Switch:

Connector Key on Top
6 1
5 2
4 3

Key in Off Position:

Pin Connect
(1)-(6)
(2) Open
(3) Open
(4)-(5)

Key in On Position:

Pin Connect
(1)-(3)-(4)-(5)-(6)
(2) Open

Key in Start Position:

Pin Connect
(1)-(2)-(4)-(5)-(6)
(3) Open

Pin Off On Start
(1) +24V +24V +24V
(2) Open Open +24V
(3) Open +24V Open
(4) Open +24V +24V
(5) Open +24V +24V
(6) +24V +24V +24V

Pin
(1) +24V
(2) Start
(3) Accessories
(4) Run/Ignition
(5) Run/Ignition
(6) +24V

machinist75

You could leave the old switch in its place and use one of the milspec angle brackets, like the ones that are used for the convoy light switch and put it under the dash. That way no hole drilling leaving the dash stock and you can always go back.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Pin 1 will be the 24volts going to the switch when the main power switch is turned on. Pin 2 will be your crank and pin 4 will be the run voltage. It needs to be energized when you are cranking to enable the fuel solenoid or you will just be cranking and never start due to no fuel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks