• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MK48/14 gets converted to MK48/18A1 and likes it

Hoefler

Finally got around to mating my MK18A1 to my FPU. Started by disconnecting the MK14 trailer. Once decoupled, I simply drove (carefully) over to new rear. Backing up and inserting dovetail into new trailer was fairly easy. Connecting all of the air, hydraulic and electrical was simple as all are size specific to their mate. Whole process took me about 5 hours or so.
Once hooked up, I crossed my fingers to see if the hydraulics would work on the 18-they did. Everything worked perfect, even the winch. The 18 came with a remote control-plugged it in and that worked as well. Watching that big hook come into position via two stage operation was a delight. This big girl is now looking snappy with her new skirt.
This coming winter I will be installing the new in crate cab along with lots of parts from a pair of MK48 station kits I have. Have 4 new never mounted wheels for the FPU as well along with new tires for the front. Truck will be 383 green when I am finished. This girl will not be working my woods as originally planned. She will spend her days being petted and looked at in volunteer roles for the local VFW's around here.
Enjoy the picks.
Pete
IMG_3225.jpgIMG_3215.jpg
IMG_3217.jpgIMG_3218.jpgIMG_3219.jpgIMG_3220.jpgIMG_3226.jpg

Last edited:

Hoefler

Hey Wreckerman,
That dohickey is designed to load ribbon bridges, containers and Sixon modules. Basically anything that can be dragged can be loaded with this self loader. The big X-member is supposed to adapt to containers to allow for a grab of sorts-then load. I tried loading a standard 20 yard dumpster with it. Didn't work due to the location of the grab point on front of dumpster. A high hook zone would make self loading dumpsters viable.
There is a big hydraulic winch on the portion that lifts too. Its a neat machine.
Pete

Attachments

Hoefler

It came out of Albany a couple of years ago.Look up the thread-Duece hauls an MK18. I had a soldier on base recover it. The thread-story is great. Cops where involved.
Pete

sandcobra164

I have hauled alot of stuff off of the base and parked it in my front yard. Hoefler is correct that cops where involved in the recovery of his trailer but only because it was rebuilt and the local cops thought that I had ¨stolen¨ something off of the base. It actually went from the local cops calling NCIS but the whole balloon popped pretty quickly once they saw that I had paperwork on everything. I may try to roll heavy but never without paperwork.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks