• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PEASHOOTER's M109A3 CAMPER Build Thread

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the roll-up door idea is a stroke of genius!!
And, if you install them yourself, they're very cost effective. They're very easy to install too. If anyone's interested, I recommend this site: https://www.tapeease.com//products.htm
Their customer service was very helpful. I sent them a simple drawing with detailed measurements, they cut and sent me everything I needed to install for about 1/4 what a local door company wanted.
I plan on using a roll up for the main door into my camper as well. I'm gonna utilize an escape hatch near the back though.

peashooter

Its been a while since I updated this apparently. Most of the work has been done so the last couple years have mostly been fixing issues that come up. The next couple posts will just show some of the work/repair that I've done.

-Mice got into the campers potable/clean water tank fill area and chewed through the fill tube. I ended up replacing all the hose and the tank just to be sure!

-Generator/Alternator went out on a nearby camping trip, I was able to make it home and installed an alternator that I had somewhat ready to go. Just needed to make a bracket for it. (thanks to @rustystud for the heads up on the screaming ebay deal on these alternators a few years ago)

Attachments

Last edited:

peashooter

-Radiator started leaking before another camping trip. Was able to make it there and back with just a partial refill. I ended up having the existing Radiator rebuilt (which cost $400!) but it was the best option I could find at the time. I did buy a couple untested takeout radiators to keep on hand as these get harder to find ($25/ea)

-Had what I assume to be an algae growth in the fuel tank. Lots of cleaner and biocide over the last year have appeared to take care of that problem.

-I managed to track down a bunch of the elusive "Dual circuit brake master cylinder brackets" and was able to sell them to SS members who are upgrading trucks. Also found some more remote reservoirs w/low fluid switches.

Attachments

Last edited:

peashooter

-The trailer CBC (cargo box cover) got a little TLC, including a coat of Herculiner on the roof and lower edges. I also put an extended drip edge over the back of the trailer roof since rain was leaking in through the top door seam, then painted the whole trailer.

-Installed a Donaldson Snorkel in place of the mushroom cap. It appears to help lower the EGT temps (didnt have to let off fuel on a recent long trip due to high EGT temps) and handled heavy rain pretty well without getting the filter all wet. I purchased this from www.rattlintruck.com (also member @Gypsyman).

Attachments

Last edited:

peashooter

-Noticed I'm starting to get some weather related cracks on the tires so decided I should have gotten tire covers a while back, but better late than never. I got the biggest ones I could find on amazon which still arent big enough but I just glued a portion of tarp to the bottom to help cover the whole face of the tire.

-Pulled a stump out of my front yard

-Still enjoying camping trips

Attachments

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
-Noticed I'm starting to get some weather related cracks on the tires so decided I should have gotten tire covers a while back, but better late than never. I got the biggest ones I could find on amazon which still arent big enough but I just glued a portion of tarp to the bottom to help cover the whole face of the tire.

-Pulled a stump out of my front yard

-Still enjoying camping trips
That picture out in the pasture looks so calming.
Right there at sunset... Nice!

peashooter

Looks outstanding, peashooter; First Class!

What's the story on application of Herculiner:

- is it spray-on only, or can it be roller/brush applied?

- any special prep for the product?
Hi Ahab- I actually just finished listening to all 25 hours of Moby Dick this last week!
Regarding the Herculiner, I usually just prep stuff by scraping anything loose off, then sand/rough it up a bit then wipe it down with Xylene or some other cleaner first. Ive only rolled it and had good luck but have heard of some spraying it.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@peashooter ,

I just read through all of your above post. All I can say about your post is, Damn man, that was some great information and photographs.

I'm doing an RV type conversion for my MV. It is more of a shelter build for my M1083A1, a little different then your build but a lot of good info. I hope you don't mind if I use/steal some of your ideas for my build.

Thanks for your post, and keep up the good work!

Tom.

PS: Haven't seen any other updates since last July, how is your build coming along at this time or are you done with it?

peashooter

@peashooter ,

PS: Haven't seen any other updates since last July, how is your build coming along at this time or are you done with it?
Hi Tom, congrats making it through the whole thread! Id consider the build complete, but of course there is no shortage of maintenance that needs to be done regularly as well as repairing things that break. There likely will be some improvements/changes in the future but i suspect most of the projects coming up are going to be things like going through the wheel bearings/seals/ & brakes again. I suspect the winch may need a rebuild also, there is a clutch lever on it that has never worked right.

Last edited:

Im_awesome04

Air Conditioner:

AIR CONDITIONER

One of the first things we did to the truck was to get an Air Conditioner for it. The A/C system was also one of the most time consuming parts of the whole project. The van box is basically a big green oven. I took the front window and frame out and measured what I had to work with.
We ended up buying an 8000 BTU Sharp Air conditioner from Costco. This was the smaller of the 2 units they sold there and even came with a remote. I like Costco because they typically only sell good stuff…meaning usually everything they sell would have really great reviews from everyone and it will be far cheaper than anywhere else. I also like Costco because on almost everything (but computers and cameras), you have an indefinite return period. So if this thing dies years from now, I will be able to bring it back and get my money back without even needing to keep the receipt.
The A/C fit well in the window opening but I did weld in some angle iron framing for it to mount to securely. I also added a drain tube that runs down under the frame because otherwise the AC was dripping onto the the hardtop.

FIRST DESIGN (as seen in the last picture)

I figured the AC needed a cover over it for protecting the condenser fins while driving and to help keep rain out of it and the potential for water to get into the walls again.
The first AC cover I made was out of aluminum and then I used a stainless piano hinge to mount it. I think I was originally planning on just propping it open with a rod when in use. At some point I realized that the AC cover was in a difficult spot to get to and would be hard to reach in order to prop open. I figured a linear actuator (LA) would work well at this point. Since I hadn’t planned on the LA when I made the cover, it turned out to be a big challenge finding one that would fit in the small space and have enough stroke & force to lift the cover. I finally found one and thanks to CAD software, I was able to figure out where to mount everything in order to get everything to fit and operate right.
Once we were at the campground we would lift the cover via the swith and then turn the air on.

SECOND DESIGN

The second year we started venturing out further with our camper and those in back were starting to get hot riding in the green oven for a few hours. So work was done to make the cover still accomplish the same goals as the first design but to also allow the AC to function/vent properly while driving with the cover closed.
I had to figure out what the airflow was on my unit so I looked it up and also tested it out. The air conditioner sucks air in from the top and sides of the case, blows it through the condenser coil to remove some heat and then out the front. Out the front just happens to be the same direction I’m driving at 50-55mph so that is a problem

I modified the first cover by cutting holes in the top and sides for the “cooler intake air” and then covered them with louvers. Next I cut a large rectangle out of the front where the AC’s Condenser coil fins would be and this is where the hot air will come out. I put a gasket around the inside of the cover here so when closed the exhaust and intake areas are separated. Now I had to make a new front diffuser cover that basically would just change the direction of the hot air. The pictures should show how it works. Basically the hot air coming out the front of the A/C gets sent out the top and sides of the diffuser cover and driving along down the road helps the system “pull” air through the condenser coil and let the A/C operate properly. It’s now a comfortable temperature in the back while driving. We still open the cover up when using the A/C unit while parked.

This might be a weird question, but would you be willing to give me exact measurements and such on your AC vent/cover, this is exactly what I've been thinking of trying to do for my 109, and I figure your design is far better than anything I could attempt to do, and while my confidence and skill in metalworking is nonexistent I figure if I've got exact specifications I might be able to make something passable

or even better if you could sell me one haha

But seriously incredible build, I'm super jealous, and going to be stealing a lot of your ideas for mine lol

peashooter

This might be a weird question, but would you be willing to give me exact measurements and such on your AC vent/cover, this is exactly what I've been thinking of trying to do for my 109, and I figure your design is far better than anything I could attempt to do, and while my confidence and skill in metalworking is nonexistent I figure if I've got exact specifications I might be able to make something passable

or even better if you could sell me one haha

But seriously incredible build, I'm super jealous, and going to be stealing a lot of your ideas for mine lol
Hi, yeah ill get some measurements for you but know that they probably wouldnt be the same for you and i would likely do it different.
First you need the airconditioner and they are almost always a little different size from each other. Also my first cover was just going to be hinged…. Then i ended up adding a motor actuator to it to lift it (i would have used different dimensions had i known i was eventually going to add an actuator), finally i modified it again to allow it to run while driving.
Some easier air conditioner ideas would be to get a dual hose portable ac unit and pipe the hoses out the backside, or sides (anything but the front really). Even getting an rv roof unit would be easier than mounting a window unit on the front like i did.

Im_awesome04

Hi, yeah ill get some measurements for you but know that they probably wouldnt be the same for you and i would likely do it different.
First you need the airconditioner and they are almost always a little different size from each other. Also my first cover was just going to be hinged…. Then i ended up adding a motor actuator to it to lift it (i would have used different dimensions had i known i was eventually going to add an actuator), finally i modified it again to allow it to run while driving.
Some easier air conditioner ideas would be to get a dual hose portable ac unit and pipe the hoses out the backside, or sides (anything but the front really). Even getting an rv roof unit would be easier than mounting a window unit on the front like i did.
Cool good to know, I'll definitely need to do more AC research it appears, I'll be trying to avoid adding much height to the roof, as it's already like 11 and a half feet tall, but I suppose if I could find a roof one that's low profile that could work

coachgeo

Cool good to know, I'll definitely need to do more AC research it appears, I'll be trying to avoid adding much height to the roof, as it's already like 11 and a half feet tall, but I suppose if I could find a roof one that's low profile that could work
consider outside the box.

Maybe instead skip or supplement traditional; but under sized, Aircon in the cab. Cab is a solar oven which makes it a bit crazy to consider conditioning the interior of an oven. Use your vents to push hot air out..... and mostly just change climate of immediate space around the pilot(s)

. 12v or 24v compressor type cooler-with bottle of coolant inside
. create poncho(s) or similar with a hoody- sew/glue? fine s tubes thru this including hoody. (plenty Utube videos on how to make race shirts/cooling systems to spawn ideas) Connect to small water/coolant pump. Cool all Pilot's small environment directly around them, instead of whole cab. Be unique.?? Get a vintage looking fighter pilots cap.... or even military helmet and run cooling into that instead of hoody??
... suggest poncho style, or half a poncho??... so you can slip out from under it to get in and out of truck. Myself, am thinking just putting it on my seat belt so it moves out of way when seat belt detracts. One could even experiment with running tubes through part of your seat cover to get backside. Heck you can even make a full suite (like race car drivers, Astronauts and EOD staff* use) and enough hose to keep yourself cool in desert heat while your outside changing a tire if you want.
. add a solar powered exhaust system for summer use to just keep heat sucked out thru out the day so when you jump in it is not already so hot. Air inlet on floor to access cooler air from below truck. Maybe an RV sewer valve to shut it for water crossings? Mention this because huge reason why Vehicle Aircon. is so HUGE BTU's is to cool a solar oven baked interior extremely fast. Always vented .... reduces this issue.

*Have got two decommissioned EOD cool suits for this option to experiment with now; along with a portable coolant heater as well as portable coolant chiller. Suites were cheap on ebay. Search Med Eng. Will experiment mostly for heating myself, along with electrically heated gloves and socks. Thinking these will open more options in winter with my Reynard's syndrome issues. When below 50f finger/toes go numbish-stingish. Hard to get anything done like that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks