• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to use "Paint" drawing program for your illustrations.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been credited in the past, for my manipulated photos, also drawings and diagrams that illustrait a point I was making or to show how I have modified, documented or detailed TM's, fabrications etc.

So with that in mind or more to the fact that it's not "Rocket surgery" and with a little help, you all can do it, I'd like to start a thread to offer help to people that want to draw something but can't quite get the grasp of their "PAINT" program.

If you have specific issues please post here and I'll try to walk through how 'I would' achieve the desired effect.

(NB. I do not draw professionally any more - and when I did, it was with pen and rule not CAD!)

zebedee

Attachments

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the offer!

I assume there are different versions of the Paint program? My ancient netbook's program offers a very limited set of manipulation tools and I doubt I could produce much in the way of anything.

Describing the Paint program versions and identifying the toolbar features would be a good place to start a tutorial.

Rick

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use MS-PAINT for all my drawings, just because it is so much simpler to use than all other CAD programs. Now, make sure you have the good old XP-version and NOT the later Windows7 which is junk!

G.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great point rchalmers3. I am useing Windows 'something' maybe Vista but I think it's XP - however, I think it's pretty basic and semi universal. This is the screen I have and a couple of the tools expanded:

Paint tutorial tools.jpg

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I use MS-PAINT for all my drawings, just because it is so much simpler to use than all other CAD programs. Now, make sure you have the good old XP-version and NOT the later Windows7 which is junk!

G.
Wait, all your drawings are done in paint? :shock:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes Sir. That's all I could learn; or better say that's the only thing I did not forget... (besides typing with two fingers...):)

G.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Photo modification

Tips for finding the tools necessary for a simple modification of a photo. Handy for 'visualising' ideas prior to measuring and cutting real truck.

Example here is to see what an extra tool box would look like added behind the bumper of an M916A1 to 'fill the gap' left when a "lift here"/"Tow here" bumper replaces the civilian one and doesn't blend with the lift front hood/fender assembly wheel arch.

paint lesson 1.jpg
Tools used here are ; Magnify, cut n paste, color capture, erase, color lines & color fill.

Edit - Ooops, looks like I have to scale up the images from here on - got kind of shrunk in the process of uploading...

Hope helps and is clear enough.

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
May be this is a little clearer:
paint lesson 1a.jpg paint lesson 1b.jpg
steps are not necessarily in order, but I hope you get the jist...

glassk

snipit and paint.jpg

I use the snip-it to select a part of the on screen image, copy on that menu and paste into paint, add items like the sizes on the spindle, or the Mod To the Admins post,

ACTUATOR, MECHANICAL 1.jpg

Helps in ads also,..

Whiterabbit

Thanks guys! This very non computer literate monkey might have to play around with that.
Will "paint" fill in images with color like the camo outlines/templates in the TB43-0147? I'd like to play around with different colors and see how they would look on the M151.
I soooooo gott'a get with the 21st century! :roll:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... Will "paint" fill in images with color like the camo outlines/templates in the TB43-0147? I'd like to play around with different colors and see how they would look on the M151...
Yes, so long as the image is "clean", and by that I mean that black and white line drawings are exactly that - either black or white. Zoom in on selected areas to see individual pixels, lots of 'copied' images get corrupted with other near whites and dark grays. You may have to draw a white line right next to a "black" line co sharpen it - then you can rub out (eraser) all the 'dirty' white so that you have clear fields of actual white. NB., if there is even one pixel missing of a black box (regardles of how complicated a shape it is, then the new color you are trying will bleed out and go to all other connecting white pixels.

If you want me to do some kind of graphic or eg., then let me know.

Whiterabbit

Corrupt pixies huh? Well that explains it. Paint "bucket" wouldn't fill in the areas.
Copy of another paint job.jpg
Guess I need to go and enlarge the img and erase the gray from the img lines huh?
Did notice an error in the camo patern. Passenger side area below windshield pattern doesn't work with top view of that area. Better to catch that now than while spraying paint. Couldn't figure out how to make wider lines on geometric outlined boxes to circle the area.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Couldn't figure out how to make wider lines on geometric outlined boxes to circle the area.
If you are talking about the tool that is top right, under the 'Edit' drop down, then you can't change it's size, you wouldn't want to, it's 1 pixel wide, so you can really get down to shaving blocks when copying or deleting. The box/polygon tool, bottom four tools (with oval/round and 'square'/round) can be used to draw outline - various thicknesses, delete or solid filled colors depending on right or left clicking when selecting colors.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wanted to add this to the first post as a good start point for reference.
But I don't appear to be able to edit the first post to add this pic:

paint lesson 0.0.jpg

Use this pic to reference different tools for further discussion/tips.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks