• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do I identify my M151A2 ?

poppop

Everybody gets in Andy. We have only had to ask one person to leave and that was last year. Come to the Rally and you will meet the greatest group of people ever. Maybe we can even convoy there as your route will meet mine at the I-16 exit for Hyway 15.

I will give you a call, just been slipping my mind which is rather feeble at best.

The defination Of Fleet Admiral is the most informative and helpfull person on SS. He is followed very closely by several others but he did not get that many posts for nothing.

Grits

Thanks you two....I'm looking forward to the Oct. Rally.
.....Now I've got to hurry and get my Mutt ready.
First is a stuck valve.....any suggestions on a mechanic?....no one near me knows the 151....
Andy (Grits)

poppop

Pull the valve cover to see which one is stuck. Put penatrating oil around the stem and tap gently on it. If its not stuck bad it will pop free. If it continues to stick roll the engine and keep taping it down until it frees up. That maybe all it needs unless it has been stuck so long the quide is messed up. You should at least be able to get it running. the head was messed up on mine but I ran it for a couple years till it got really bad. I bought a head cheaper than I could fix the valves. Last year I put an NOS engine in mine. If push comes to shove I would probably part with the head off my old engine.

Grits

I've already pulled the valve cover....it's the First (front) cylinder. And the second lifter rod....it's too short....
Does that mean the valve is stuck down.....and is that the intake side? I can actually take the rod out with my hand....it's not bent...
...The engine does crank and run with the choke out the correct amount.....the plug is firing strong.....
Thanks for the help!!
Andy

poppop

If its stuck then the height of the valve spring should be lower than the others. Remove the plug and see if you have compression, if not then its stuck, if you do then maybe the rocker needs tightening up. Does the push rod move up and down when the engine is running?? Is the lock nut on top of the rocker tight??

Grits

I'll pull the valve cover and check this out better...
Is there a "quick and dirty" way to check compression?.....maybe with my finger before it gets hot....
I'll try to get some good close up photos...

Thank You again for helping me !
Andy

poppop

Finger is a good way but if you spin the engine with the plug out it should make a loud whoosh sound if it has compression. If the valve is stuck it won'nt be as loud as it is losing compression back into the intake manifold.

Grits

I just removed the valve cover and took lots of pics...and some video up close of the lifter NOT moving...
....Now I've got to figure out how to post pics and vids....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, if the lifter isn't moving the pushrod, the problem is more sinister. I would just pack it up and trade it for a nice roadworthy M1008. I have one available! LOL.

Grits

Well, if the lifter isn't moving the pushrod, the problem is more sinister. I would just pack it up and trade it for a nice roadworthy M1008. I have one available! LOL.
You wouldn't want to have anything to do with my ol' piece of junk......one cylinder not runnin' an all.....
....But I'm still trying to figure out how to send that 66.5 MB vid....The limit on here is 75 right?

poppop

Andy, looking at the angle of that pushrod its possible its just out of place. Lift it up and see if you can drop it down in the center of the hole. It may not be on the lifter at all. Its almost impossible for the cam to be wiped so clean that it will not move the lifter at all. Even if the lifter came apart it still should move the pushrod up and down. Maybe its just a simple put the rod in the right place and adjust the rocker.

Grits

That was my first thought and I've tried....but can't seem to get it to fit in correctly.
But I'll try again since you also thought of that idea.....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think Lloyd might be right. You will likely have to lift up the valve train to get the pushrod back in place. Lloyd has a 151 and has dabbled with the little engines.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks