• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NATO plug: What is it? Can a plug be made that will work?

boltbucket

I know nothing about the 24v NATO slave plug used for electric starting the MEP-016* generators. There is a lot of different plugs on the internet called NATO slave plug. What does it look like? How hard would it be to make a plug that could be mounted on the end of a set of battery cables? Has any one done this?

hunderliggur

It is the military version of a jumper cable. There are two kinds that I know of, single round and two pin. I have the single round on my M1009 and M35A2, and I added a plug on my 24V alternative power system so I can either use the M1009 as a supplemental 2000W 24V generator or jump my vehicles from the power shed if I can get them close enough. I have the surplus jumper cable with the NATO round ends.

Isaac-1

If you don't have any other military vehicles and still want the jump starting option on the MEP-016 generator (might this be a MEP-016D which does not have an onboard battery?) It is a lot cheaper to add a Anderson SB connector pigtail and an SB to clamp style jumper cable so you can jump it from any conventional 12V vehicle, the MEP-016D starter will generally work off 12V just fine, and since it is a series wound DC motor it just means it will crank slower than at 24V, still plenty fast to start the generator if you use the compression release. The same is probably not true on a MEP-016B or 016E

Ike

boltbucket

Thanks for the info. Guess the limited availability of these plugs is what makes them so high. Found one on ebay for $180 ouch! Think I'll just keep pull starting the old D till I get it running right.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thanks for the info. Guess the limited availability of these plugs is what makes them so high. Found one on ebay for $180 ouch! Think I'll just keep pull starting the old D till I get it running right.
You should be able to find them for $25-50.

M813A1

I made a slave cable for about $60 bucks, by buying the cable ends off E Gay and then went to a Welding Shop and bought 004 welding cable and put things together. Good Luck

RIrvin

SMALL SLAVE PLUG.jpgMade a jumper with a small NATO slave plug for 24v MEP-531A using old battery jumper cables with alligator clamps on opposite end for use with two batteries (24v) in portable box.Works very well for staring small generators. Here is an image of a small plug.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also remember that those NATO plugs/'interstart' cables are the same - 12v or 24v, so it is worth stenciling or ID taging the interstart socket on your vehicle appropriately so that there is less chance of frying a 12v system with 24v.

(Rear cross members and towbars, adjacent to trailers sockets and trailer plugs are often ID'd too for similar reasons regarding bulbs since trailers look the same but may be either voltage.)

rlegare44

That is what I did with the old style two pin on the older gens. Do you have a guide or anything to do the same with the Nato plugs? I would want to go from my F350 to the gen as I did before, that was an easy DIY fix.

rlegare44

You have any photos of that setup? I did the same with the two prong slave plug but not sure how to do the same with the Nato.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks