• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38A1 Restoration

Another Ahab

Well I decided to mount the motor and trans today and get them on the frame. But I just realized my motor mounts don't fit the frame right. The V on the bottom of them is too deep and they won't sit flush.

V.jpg
Simpler than breaking the welds and re-welding (maybe):

- Wonder if there's a way to "hammer" down the edge of the V (from either side), to make the V more shallow

You get my drift?

Last edited:

Al Harvey

Well on the passenger side I think that could work, but it is extremely off on the driver side and would requite being almost half the size. I think I'm gonna call the supplier Monday and see what they say. The bad side is that I ordered them a good while back, but we will see.

Another Ahab

Well on the passenger side I think that could work, but it is extremely off on the driver side and would requite being almost half the size. I think I'm gonna call the supplier Monday and see what they say. The bad side is that I ordered them a good while back, but we will see.
Another maybe:

- Grind the V down, and weld back a shallower V

???

Al Harvey

Okay, well after looking at them more and more, I decided to try and drill out the welds. It was actually a lot easier then I thought it would have been. The plates came right off. Now I'll get some bolts to hold it together and weld the weld holes back up. First gotta clean the lower plate.

IMG_2448.jpgIMG_2449.jpg

So here is the old plate welded onto the new motor mount. On the next one I won't drill the original plate nearly as large as I did this one. But it will hold and for a part that isn't seen, I'm happy with it. If someone else does this process I'd remind you to go slow and take a break between welds and then also while grinding, to prevent trying to melt the rubber. Lesson learned the hard way years ago.

IMG_2450.jpgIMG_2451.jpg

Last edited:

Al Harvey

Well I've made a little more progress. Though getting the transmisson/tranfer mounted to the engine was a bit of a pain.

IMG_2494.jpgIMG_2480.jpgIMG_2479.jpg

I am having one piece that is puzzling me. I can't figure out / remember where this cone shaped piece was. I thought it was on the transfer case mount, but if I put it over the rubber cone, it sits right on the cup. After looking online I haven't seen any picture of a piece like it being used. Does this go to something else or does anyone have any ideas???

IMG_2495.jpgIMG_2496.jpgIMG_2497.jpg

wilfreeman

Mine is a '54 model. It didn't have the top cone, so I didn't put one back on. Looks like it would catch and hold mud to me. Maybe it was an early model thing.

Al Harvey

I left it off, it didn't fit with the replacement mount. If I would have used it, it would have been a metal to metal mount since the rubber wasn't tall enough to separate it from the frame.

UH-60 Driver

Al, I forgot to ask this last night, but is that CARC on your tub? If so, that Jeep must have been one of the last ones to get surplussed. I thought most of the A1's were gone from even Guard and Reserve units by the mid-Eighties.
QUOTE]

I know the Iowa National Guard turned theirs in during the summer in 1993. They were in poor shape, but definitely restorable!

Al Harvey

That's what I thought. But the diameter on the cone is the same as the cup. It wouldn't go in the cup, it just sat on top of it. That's why I think it was off of another vehicle and was tossed in when I bought the jeep in parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks