• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

chinook and deuce

alphadeltaromeo

I like it...hmm, perhaps the SS crew can procure one of those choppers to be used as a pick-up and delivery service when a member wins a GL auction. Whatcha think? [thumbzup]

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Dumps with the troop seats installed in back! Thats too cool. Jeff, your tipper will look awesome once you get the parts on it from your "steal".

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
What the lift capacity of a Chinook? That 5-ton tipper has got to be straining the rotors!
I believe about 23,320 lbs.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: chinook

:oops:

I stand corrected, oops.

ida34

Our howitzers put the chinook to the limit and they were 15,500 lbs. Add a ten man combat crew and a few hundred pounds for the rounds. With high density altitude sometimes it would not haul our gun. In Desert Storm we did most of our lifting at night when it got cooler. During the day we had too much weight so we trained without the three or four rounds for a mission. I think a 5 ton is totally out of the question.

ida34

I still have my Air Assault manual which tells how to rig what. This is kind of what I did in the 101st. There was a rig called a yohee device and with it we attached two humvees (not armored) back to back to it. The whole rig was then air mobile by a chinook. If I remember right this was also right near the edge of the performance envelope.

weldergonecrazy

We received our CH 47's just before we deployed here, we brought our blackhawks to play with in the sand. I don't really have too much specific knowledge on them; however, outside of a desert, or high altitude environment the engines and rotor system will lift more weight than the airframe can handle! I believe our models are rated for about 26,000 lbs at sea level. Of course when you take them up in the mountains of Afghanistan, or to the deserts of Kuwait or Iraq where it is 130 in the shade, their performance tends to lag.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks