• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM1027 - CUCV Crew Cab Build

tim292stro

I'm pretty sure we discussed this before (in the FOBIC thread) LEDs do generate heat, just not as much as incandescent/halogen/HID sources - it's more efficient at its job (Lumens/Watt), so more light leaves in the visible spectrum, and much less is generated as IR radiation (realize that an incandescent filament is actually burning, albeit very slowly). The majority of the heat is conducted away on an LED - the majority of the heat is emitted away on an incandescent.

For estimation purposes in thermal design, you can assume that for every Watt/hr of energy used, 3.41BTU/hr of heat is generated. This LED would then generate about 1700BTU/hr, most of which is removed by the heat sink plate on the back via conduction.

Another Ahab

I'm pretty sure we discussed this before (in the FOBIC thread) LEDs do generate heat, just not as much as incandescent/halogen/HID sources - it's more efficient at its job (Lumens/Watt), so more light leaves in the visible spectrum, and much less is generated as IR radiation (realize that an incandescent filament is actually burning, albeit very slowly). The majority of the heat is conducted away on an LED - the majority of the heat is emitted away on an incandescent.
Yes, I'm pretty sure you're right tim292stro, but instead of heat dissipation as in LED's:

- My problem is memory dissipation.

tim292stro

Well life is happening, and I'm now concerned that the 457K Toyota will not pass the emissions check in October without a hefty investment in the engine/exhaust. I blew through another radiator inside of three months, gotta replace the EGR system, Catalytic converter, muffler, engine computer is acting funny again, it's time for shocks, first gear synchro let go this week, and all of the exhaust pipes have to be redone (this last winter apparently moved me into the swiss-cheese category on the pipes, weld one leak shut and it just cracks somewhere else...). The repair cadence for the Toyota is getting to point where the annual cost is catching up to the cost of buying a used car, so it seems to be time to move on.

So... I'm looking for a decent M1009 to fill in the time until the XM1027 gets finished, and an M101A2 to stand in for the loss of a truck bed. More details to follow I'm sure.

tim292stro

It's a '93, my dad was the second owner starting in 1996 with 80k on the dial. I bought it from him in 1998 (5 years old at that point) with at 96K (only used for a 15-mile weekday commute, limited extra stuff). So I put on 361,000 and change in 17 years, about an average of 21,235/year - peak years were 25k (and that's what I insure for). I'd use up a 100K factory warranty in 4-5 years with the amount I drive, and it rules out a lease which are typically limited to 10-12K a year before they get expensive...

tim292stro

From my understanding, I'll be taking a look at a local M1009 tomorrow that is in nearly immaculate shape, as temporary wheels. The owner is asking $2K more that I'd like to pay, but by the looks of it the truck truck may just be worth it... Follow up tomorrow.

Another Ahab

From my understanding, I'll be taking a look at a local M1009 tomorrow that is in nearly immaculate shape, as temporary wheels. The owner is asking $2K more that I'd like to pay, but by the looks of it the truck truck may just be worth it... Follow up tomorrow.
You know the whole world is negotiable:

- Offer $2K less than you're willing to pay

And see if there's a win-win. What do you think?

tim292stro

If I thought I could make it another week or two on the Toyota, I'd gamble. I'll judge at the last minute based on viewed condition, but I'm fully prepared to plop down asking $$.

tim292stro

I believe so, it was my original idea when the family started growing - but I'm still going to finish this truck too and use it as my daily once I'm done. Long term, I'm going to need the full pickup bed at 1+ ton payload. Blazer won't cut it for that, and an M101A2 trailer will only get me to 3/4-ton...

wannabe92z

Have you looked into state and federal government auctions for equipment and add ons? I know North Carolina is different but during my tenure in Sausalito, CA I noticed the Army Corps of Engineers auction off a lot of stuff, as do the local police departments and CHP. Here in NC you can buy a PALLET of tough books with memory and hard drives removed for $100, then buy the pallet full of the memory and hard drives for $50. Just a thought. State surplus auctions and sealed bids that offer bid history are quite nice. Awesome build, anxiously awaiting more updates.

tim292stro

Thanks and hello to NC! Gorgeous country out there [thumbzup]

I am subscribed to DGS Auction Listings in California, and I peruse them frequently. More important for me is to watch grant listings for the state agencies, typically if you see a grant or budget item to refresh hardware, older great will start flowing in the system soon afterwards. That said the competition for both scrap and use gear is very high here in California - so that drives the prices up significantly.

On the memory and hard drives, the stock Panasonic parts were not what I was looking for - maybe if the liquidation house was lazy and left the HDD in the caddies I'd buy them, but the drives at less than 500GB I have no interest in. My builds are going for 1-2TB HDDs, and those were not an option for the CF-30's, and remain a rare option for municipal machines in the current CF-31 model (just public data security risk alone, having 1TB of data stored on the machine would make me paranoid of machine theft). The memory I'm installing is capitalizing on the capabilities of the CF-30 chipset that was not a published spec of the Toughbooks, the chipset supports 8GB of system memory, while the CF-30 which was release in a 32-bit OS world only ever advertised 4GB max system memory possible - so again I'm installing memory that was never an option for these machines.

I've paid a bit of a what you might call a "premium" on a few machines since they were in great shape for a vehicle outfitter who did updates as part of a contract and included most of the optional stuff I was going to install - but really $75 for a machine that originally cost $2000+ is not much of a premium... The machines are expected to have the backlit rubberized keyboards, a fully functional and calibratable touchscreen, the battery in good shape, functioning audio, all of the heaters, DVD-multi drive, pen/stylus, WiFi+BT with the dual RF docking connector, the power pack, all of the connector covers in good shape. After all of the machines are set up that way, I rip them apart and replace the CCFL backlight with a high brightness (1200NIT) LED backlight, reflash the BIOS with a custom ROM I've made for them, install an 802.11ac card, multi-constellation GNSS receiver, and add a few other things that I won't disclose. Very soon, I'll be tearing them all apart and repainting them in Tan CARC with Black CARC details. You'd be surprised (or maybe not) how expensive it can get to take a machine that lacks some of the options up to the spec I've laid out - there is also a lot of troubleshooting time and parts procurement for machines that were found to have problems (the ones that get auctioned often have a reason for being there).

Last edited:

wannabe92z

Thanks for the warm welcome! The best explanation I got was from a fellow GM master tech who happens to be an uncle. He does electrical diagnosis for all GM fleet vehicles in Central Texas, especially Fort Hood. He gave me the friendly reminder that although I could pickup a decent mileage Tahoe, Suburban, etc from the Highway Patrol, they were given a "service life" for a reason. I asked for common issues and he simply replied "they're tired". Also, as a veteran and prior military contractor for the Army I know all too well the expense involved. As soon as you attach "military" to the invoice the prices skyrocket. My limited experience with GSA and FedLog has been ridiculous. I can't believe what they charge for small 6oz bottles of CARC kits with a roller used for touchups. Wanting it done right the first time matters.

tim292stro

Moved to new post to put up the picture:

I think I already have enough Panasonic computer gear to cover all of my projects and then some:
0819151953.jpg
What you're looking at is 14x CF-30's, two spare CF-30 LCD heads, 8x CF-19's, and a 12" and 10" vehicle dock LCD monitors, and one vehicle dock keyboard. Not pictured are the three CF-30 vehicle docks, 7 CF-19 vehicle docks, and two dead CF-19's I use for spares (all the others were in storage, which I'm locked out of at 7PM...).

I told my wife I was taking a picture of the collection of ToughBooks to illustrate how much I don't need more, and she said "Buy any more and I'll kill you :shock: - love you! :-D".

I can say I have found my limit, so I chose not to go any further, lest I test her resolve. [thumbzup]

Another Ahab

I told my wife I was taking a picture of the collection of ToughBooks to illustrate how much I don't need more, and she said "Buy any more and I'll kill you - love you! ".

I can say I have found my limit, so I chose not to go any further, lest I test her resolve. [thumbzup]
I think in Momma-Speak that's what's called their "tough love"; and we love them SO much!

tough Love II.jpg

Drunkle Scuzzy

If you are interested in setting up a simple Linux system for my truck with some of those parts, if there is enough extra, I would be interested. A one station setup with 1-2 TB of memory would be more than enough. it would be used mostly for music and internet use while on the road. There is no rush, I currently have the truck at Dando's getting it finished up. Thanks for the referral to Ken. i think I will make him my main mechanic from here on out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks