• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

paint job

215Dave

Looks great! Keep up the great work. Can't wait to see your finished project. I'm in the same boat as you with the refinishing process, blood, sweat, and I don't have tear ducts so I can't cry, but.... :mrgreen:

59apache

Chipmaker
You're absolutely right!
P1010001.jpgP1010002.jpg

We've used this one. It has a regulator valve on it, you can adjust how much air you let in. With the slightly pressure you have no dust problem.
I have used a screw compressor that delivers oilless air. And an air dryer. Oilvapors are really dangerous.

lawdog1623

WOW! Ok, I have to ask. I assume you had some rust below the cowling in the cab. Did you remove the top cowling piece yourself and replace it with a completely new piece or did you use the old piece? Do you happen to have some more detailed pictures of this part? I noticed you pulled the cowling completely off and welded on a new piece and it appears to be a completely new piece of metal. I would greatly appreciate some details on this process because im moving to the cab next. I have just finished the painting and reconditioning of the engine compartment. Honestly i have seen few jobs that look as good as yours. Great job brother. God Bless

59apache

Chipmaker
P1010007.jpgP1010008.jpg
Rust wasn't the problem. The top piece was heavy dented. I cut it out, left about 1" on every side. Then i've welded an L-shaped sheet metal in. I made a template out of paper, lay it on a sheet metal, use a rattlecan flat black zu make an ouline and cut it out with a thin cutting disk.
On the front i've welded the sheet complete on the cab, under the windshield only with a few (many:) ) tacks. also from the underside.
For the seal i used on the outside body sealant and adhesive, from the inside a sprayable sealant.
Thats it. Not a big thing.

Last edited:

59apache

Chipmaker
and the problem is, the manifacturer says its a different lot. He cannot supply the exact same colour, cause its its a normal divergence.
From his point its my fault, i have to buy enough paint for the hole truck at one time.

There is only one solution....buy the paint again, enough for all and redo the paint job. Yippee!

Heath_h49008

Considering the similarity of the colors, and the distance between the dissimilar colored parts when installed, I would consider repainting either to be premature until after the paint has fully cured to ensure it isn't a less significant issue that it at first appears.

SteveKuhn

I agree with Heath. Wait.

Color variations between lots used to be fairly common. The the workaround is to use the dissimilar colors ending in corners, at shadow lines, and the like. It's very effective in hiding it because light angle accounts for the bulk of the color perception. If you do choose to repaint to match, that trick can cut down on the amount of repainting you need to do.

And tell the mfr that the excuse of different run numbers pretty much faded out in the '80s/early '90s, at least in products that are similarly packaged. I haven't had that happen in decades. Today, everything is color-matched so even going to Home Depot for another can rarely results in a visible variation.

Very nice work on your truck, btw.

Steve

59apache

Chipmaker
the parts are from sunday. Real its looking worse

And tell the mfr that the excuse of different run numbers pretty much faded out in the '80s/early '90s
this is exactly what i told him....

paint is ordered
new motto:
stop complaining - back to work

thanks @ all for the kind words!

59apache

Chipmaker
i bought it from a a small retailer, who sells and produce (mix) paint.The mfr -i don't know it. And to be fair - its partial my fault. He always said buy enough for the wole truck, otherwise you will have different colours. I was afraid about dry out, cause i don't know how much it takes to build the shelter and then the truck. And i had no idea how much paint i need :)

One possible difference ist that large lots are made at the mfr direct and small in his shop. Maybe the first 2 cans are made on a different machine...who know`?

And he made me now a very good price for the new paint, and this time its enough!

Everthing is on the right way now, i hope so.

59apache

Chipmaker
update.
i got the new paint, this time enough for the hole truck. And guess what? Yes, the third differen't colour...
added 0,25 ltr. black to ~7ltr. sand and get a very close match...repainted the hole cr...
start to reassemble.
Wouldn't be my truck if i don't modify something :)

Mr.Gasket Shifter boots, SW mechanical Oilgauge, Warning light for oil pressure , ASO...
Boots are MRG-9649 from Summitracing, 19,95 ea.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks