• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ldt465 TD?

lawdog1623

Ok, I mistakenly came across a few threads where members were talking about a "thick deck" ldt465 motor in the m35 series of trucks. I looked at both of my trucks and my 109 had a td designation on its block while my cargo truck does not. They both have ldt465-1d on the tag, but the '71 truck has this td block while the '69 doesn't. Both were rebuilt in the late 80's. I've searched the forums and have t found anything that clearly explains the SPECIFIC differences. Does anyone know?

eagle4g63

With the heads off and looking straight down on the block.....or at least imagine you are........the regular block the casting is not as thick and follows the studs......the "TD" block is thicker....more metal is around all the studs. This allows higher torque specs without distorting the block or causing stress cracks.

brianp454

Below is a picture of my engine block (White LDT-465-1D) with a cast TD mark about two inches forward of the data plate on the passenger side. I assume this indicates that I have a TD block. Also, given my military experience much of the equipment included an "upgrade path" or method of being brought up to the next level spec or functionality. The parts and such would vary according to what was needed for the upgrade. So, I imagine that many engines were upgraded and there may have been different, such as if an engine block would be upgraded to the next version. And then there would be new production that would meet all of the existing specs and maybe some new, etc.
M35A2C Engine TD Marking close to Data Plate.jpg
Jason S can you elaborate on the two different TD blocks? How to ID them? What exactly is different?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks