• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Odometer going backwards!!!

JimmyThompson

I bought this Deuce (M109a3) and the speedometer adaptor that goes into the transmission was in the glove box! I reinstalled it and now the odometer is rolling backwards and there is no speed registering on the gauge. I'm not really sure how I screwed that up considering the adaptor goes straight into the transmission and the cable srews directly onto the adaptor etc...

Any ideas?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Were you driving forward?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Are you getting younger?

OH NO! If you keep driving it, the Ga Rally will keep getting further away.

JimmyThompson

LOL you guys are killing me! That is likely why it was in the glovebox. Either way... I ain't getting any younger, rather I'm feeling OLDER each day wrenching on this Deuce. But I love it.

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That happened to me once. Make sure the flux-capacitor is installed properly too.

Do you have any pictures of the adaptor on the transmission?

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe it was a tach drive off the front of the engine? Been a while since I stared at either of them.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Logic would suggest you have the wrong adapter(reverse output).

Is there anyway to disassemble it and put the output end at the opposite side(where a grease fitting may be)

I am guessing you are talking about a 90 degree adapter. (You can help us help you by posting pictures).

Look at this(surprised you didn't find it before posting a thread), there are reverse rotation adapters, and same/direct rotation adapters. http://streetperformanceusa.com/i-9...dometer-kit-standard-right-angle-adapter.html

I'll simply guess you have the wrong part, and that is why it was not installed.

Last edited:

o1951

Jimmy, this is new territory for me & probably I am wrong. If yours is like the one in previous post, seems you might be able to unscrew and swap the grease fitting and spedo connections. If that is possible, it would make the spedo shaft turn in the opposite direction.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That adapter is definitely not what comes stock on our T-cases, although the attached sleeve & flat shaft on the input side seem to be correct; as well as the slotted/female output, for the cable.

All these adapters can be disassembled and components switched around, for correct rotation. What we need is the output side turning CW when the input is also turned CW.
Now what about the ratio? The one you need is 1:0.187 (for 9.00-20's) or 1:0.200 (for 43" tires). Clean that part and see if its marked with any numbers that look like a ratio. Or count the turns, input to output. If OK then I would simply change sides of the components, on the output side.

What you have does look identical to the tachometer adapter for the MF engine. But that one takes a 3-1/6" hex shaft on the (female)input; not a 1/8" square, male, like what fits in the T-case's sleeve. Also, it would turn in the correct direction, only 5 times faster! (ratio is 1:1).

So really it looks like someone did a mix-match of parts there and then decided to give up, after seeing the "poor" results...?:?

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks